Thoughts on using a digital multi-fx with classic amps?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by What?, Nov 6, 2020.

1. DC135er

DC135er Member

Ask Joe Satriani, Steve Vai, John Petrucci. Sometimes I have to laugh at the purists out there. Ultimately what any pro guitarist wants is for the sound of his/her guitar to sound great through the front-of-house sound system. It makes no difference what you do to your amp, it will only sound as good as your pick-ups and your guitar...AND THE GUY SITTING AT THE BOARD. In a nutshell, if you like digital effects, use them. Keep in mind, the entire Boston album was recorded with totally solid state amps built by the band's originator. Everybody loved it and nobody at the time knew, or cared.

freefrog likes this.
  2. Sikstringking

Sikstringking New Member

I have a 30 th anniversary 6100 and I use the Headrush pedalboard in the 4 cable method. I use the fx loop for time based effects. I can get some great blistering metal tones and some great SRV tones as well. And everything in between. I also aby with a fender twin and blend the tones and that in my opinion is absolutely incredible. Extremely versitle !

CraigP likes this.
  3. John DiPietro

John DiPietro New Member

I can't say enough good things about Boss digital effects and their Tone Studio. It should allow to dial in whatever you need and be pretty close to a set of pedals.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  4. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Looks like guys like you and I are in the minority here because i totally understand your point and your questions. It seems there's a few that are more concerned with wowing with knowledge and going way off in the weeds. I saw a rack bigger than the guy sitting next to it.

I posted earlier about my tests with my Helix and running it with a tube amp. Just like you, i was only looking to tidy up things for an all in one effects rig but I'm not going for an 80s Bradshaw the sky is the limit kind of thing either. I still say every amp I've tried the base amp tone suffers doing it this way.

I'm probably old fashioned compared to others. I am way past trying to copy artist tones and hitting buttons on the fly. I'm guitar/wah/swirly/echo and loud amp kind of player. My advice is just dump the idea. Stay with single effect units that do one thing but do them very well.

5. fitz288

fitz288 Apprentice Fermi's Paradox Analyst Silver Supporting Member

half-ass thinking about getting a multi-fx unit...

Lots of tech-speak for what seemed like a simple thought of using a multi-fx. If you are looking for multiple effects in a single unit, give the Boss ME-80 a look. It does just about everything you can think of and it doesn't require any setup or programming. settings are all knob controlled and easy to adjust to find your tone. $300 new and I picked up a used one for $185. I keep it plugged into my Lead15 / DSL1 two-headed micro stack in the home office and it gets me a wild range of sounds in a small footprint.

6. ExpatZ

ExpatZ New Member

I think everyone else has already weighed in pretty clearly on the side of whatever makes you happy, the differences will be minimal and only really noticable in a recording of your rig when your track is solo'd, if at all.
    Live use you won't hear it and the audience won't hear it either, any digital artifacts will be drown out by the mix.

You most likely would be hard pressed to hear any difference at all unless the effect you use is old and/or cheap, use high quality gear and it'll meet and probably beat most analogue out there.
    I have a drawer full of Free The Tone stuff and a H9, the H9 sounds digital, but it is an Eventide and that is what they do, and their use reflects that.
    The FTT stuff however is some of the best I have ever used analogue or digital, anyone who could tell me from a recording that I was using a digital effect would be either superhuman or just taking the Mickey.

How big or how processed you make that sound is entirely up to you, at that point it's not really the effect (unles it is a Digitech) and more how you are (mis)using it.
    If you can only dial in a crappy tone for what you are trying turn it off and use something else for that.

Silkstringking's Headrush setup is an awesome great way to go for that, a Helix would do you the same.

Always remember, it's art not a contest.
    What works for the art works, period, anyone who says different is making product not art.
    If they are making anything at all.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2020
    SkyMonkey and freefrog like this.
  7. jan norberg

jan norberg New Member

Im an analog man to cvote Joe Walsh. . Im playing an AFD and a 2555X and have two separte loops wich are identical in each amp. For reverb i use a Electro-Harmonix Eleven and a Boss Wasa Analog delay. I only use the delays to give me a ”tail” and for me the analog delays works just fine. Some delays have a nasty aftertone wich i dont like.
    During the years i have used Many different delays and the Boss along with Seymore Duncans analog delay is my favorit. MXR carbon copy is also ok but the light green - bright - box has that nasty aftertone. Since im only using delays for a tail the more expensive effects is not my cup of tea. And using overdrives is absolutly not needed when you play AFD and 2555x amps. Thats mine opinion, but im old school. The only effect besides the ones i have in the loops is my handwired Vox wawa, an A/B-box and a tuner in front. To get a good sound i think that good cables is a must. And a Marshall ofcourse...

Biff Maloy likes this.
  8. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

That's what confused me... I figure if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Seems like just trying to reinvent the wheel to me, or just acting like a douchey, vintage-purist, tone snob, looking for an audience to spar with -- The point of all gear is to facilitate the making of music.

CraigP likes this.
  9. Mike J

Mike J Member

Whatever gives you the tone you're looking for is the way to go. I enjoy experimenting depending on my mood, so I have used my Line 6 Helix in my Marshall with the 4 cable method. I have used my Fractal AX8 straight into the FOH and I've done the traditional pedal dance with my stomp boxes. The amp models are really good, but not the same as a real tube amp. There is just something about a tube amp and a 4x12 that really moves some air. The digital effects in the modelers are so close to the original stomp boxes that the average person in the audience of a local club won't know the difference. Besides, your opinion matters way more than mine. Just sharing some of the things I have tried and they all worked. Go with the one you like best or really tick off your sound guy and keep coming with a different rig like I do!

zachman likes this.
  10. Ruthjam

Ruthjam New Member

I am a big fan of Line 6 Helix for effects other than dirt. I run stereo with a 5CM it through my DSL40H and a DSL20H. I love the dirt the tube amp provides and if I do add a modeled dirt, it is usually fuzz like Big Muff Pi. The DSL 40 is used as the pre-amp for both amps and I have a MIDI pedal to switch between its 4 channels.

The split signal chain in the Helix for time based effects after the Marshall preamp is awesome and if you run stereo you get amazing big tone. Some of my settings I add either a modeled preamp or amp w/o cab in the chain before/after the actual preamp stage. This adds some amazing headroom to your amp's natural sound, the headroom you get from a 100 watt amp cranked without the ear busting volume. Plexi and JCM800 are excellent modeled amps for this.

The Helix has 4 mono / 2 stereo effects loops built it. You can use one loop for the amp and add a second one to include your standard pedals if you like. A great video showing this:

One complain most people have with the Helix effects loops is line noise. I don't have an issue with this unless the DSL40 is on the OD2 channel. High Gain is troublesome. I add noise gates before the amp's effects loop to cut line noise out.

Lastly, I had a Fender Pro Reverb from the early 70's and trying to use modeling through it was sub par at best. If you go the digital route and want to incorporate your amp's natural tone, I recommend using an amp with an effects loop. Otherwise go all modeled and run the digital effects into a clean power amp + cab. Orange makes a 100 watt amp for this called the pedal baby.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  11. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

It doesn't do Univibe, vintage tape echo, or vintage fuzz tones particularly well. Great tool for a working player, not a great suggestion for a gear/tone snob looking to scratch his specific vintage effects itch

12. SkyMonkey

SkyMonkey Well-Known Member

No 4CM with a Boss ME-80!
    Makes the Classic amp + Multi-effects experiment pointless.
    (see thread title)

zachman likes this.
  13. SkyMonkey

:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

I use: DSL40CR, Boss GT-100, VS65R for a 5CM MIDI stereo setup and, even with an SS slave power amp, it sounds sweet.

KraftyBob and zachman like this.
  14. Norfolk Martin

Norfolk Martin Member

But these things have patch memory. Why would you need to 'adjust them onstage' ? That was an analog pedal problem; that you couldn't store any settings , so if you wanted more than one sound, you had to adjust the knobs between songs.

SkyMonkey likes this.
  15. masher_uk

masher_uk Member

I use JVM heads with an (ancient) Boss GT-10 in 4CM configuration. The Boss provides the time-base stuff and all the distortion is the Marshall - works great. A newer FX unit would undoubtedly provide 'better' and even more time-base effect options but frankly the GT-10 meets my needs and I'd find it difficult to justify spending a few hundred quid simply to gain a marginally better chorus or delay. Good luck in your quest...

freefrog and SkyMonkey like this.
  16. Kidlargo

Kidlargo Member

17. rsjd41

rsjd41 New Member Gold Supporting Member

I use a Digitech GNX4 sometimes, including playing gigs. It sounds fine. Just use the clean channel. I do on both my 30th anniversary and Yngwie model. Sounds good on both.

18. SkyMonkey

I had a GT-8, then a GT-10.
    The GT-10 was great but the row of red LED buttons were way too bright!
    My old eyes couldn't see what the stupidly bright LED was lighting up to indicate!
    I suppose a splash of nail varnish could have fixed them, but I traded up again to the GT-100.
    I never got to try programming it with the GT-10 Fx FloorBoard app either.
    https://fxfloorboard.sourceforge.io/info.php?model=gt-10

masher_uk likes this.
  19. Kidlargo

Kidlargo Member

Screenshot_20201110-110903.jpg Just a cool little practice rig. Ripped out the shit speakers and installed 30w greenbacks. Killer. I'd go with the HX-Effects. Pick up a nice used one on eBay for $350 or so. They really nail the pedal modeling very well. You won't regret it. Plus you can use it as a recording interface with your DAW. I still love the big rig with analogs though.

tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.
  20. Kidlargo

Kidlargo Member

I suck at forum posting lol.

tce63 and SkyMonkey like this.