Thoughts on the Eminence "Fender" 8Ohm 12-incher

Discussion in 'The Workbench' started by waltschwarzkopf, Dec 2, 2021.

1. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Member

Hello, World!

I am looking for a replacement speaker for my amp(s). As you may have seen, I have a Marshall VS 8040 that I'm bringing back to life, I'm creating a new thread, because I don't want the other to get off track.

I read that a good improvement for this amp would be to replace the original "awful" 4Ohm Celestion speaker with an 8Ohm Eminence, as the amp would be louder (not that I need it) but also clearer and the boost channel would sound better. I mostly buy stuffed used, and here (in Switzerland) second hand stuff is cheap and of good quality.

I found this "Fender" 12" Speaker (pics below), which is made by Eminence for the Blues Junior, Blues Deluxe, Hotrod, Deville, Twin, etc. I believe, it is the same as the Eminence LEGEND 1258, only that is rated for a little less power than 75W. An 8Ohm speaker would be great because, I could also use the 8040 as a cabinet for other heads rated at 8Ohm instead of 4Ohm.

Their website says "The Eminence Legend 1258 guitar speaker is a fastball down the middle, perfect for blues and rock. Vintage American tone with tight lows and warm, smooth mids and highs. Strong upper mid emphasis and extended highs." This works for me, as I don't play to heavy.

What do you think?

Cheers,
    Walter

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. GIBSON67

GIBSON67 Well-Known Member

I seen those going for fairly cheap on EBAY...looks like a GB clone to me. But I have no
    reference on the sounds, so best of luck!

3. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Never heard of the speaker but I'd suggest looking on youtube for some videos of it before buying. Good luck! :yesway:

4. Marcomel79

Marcomel79 Well-Known Member

Maybe move the thread to cabinets and speakers? Will probably get better help there...

5. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Why do you believe it is the same as the Eminence LEGEND 1258 ? If you haven't already, I would reach out to Eminence and see what they can tell you about that specific manufactured for Fender speaker.

waltschwarzkopf likes this.
  6. waltschwarzkopf

waltschwarzkopf Member

I read that somewhere... But it is a good idea to contact Eminence directly.

7. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I had a similar situation with Vox/Celestion regarding a "Manufactured for Vox" Celestion.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2021