Thoughts On The Dsl1 And Dsl20 Heads

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Shreddy Krueger, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Mikey Tone

Mikey Tone New Member

Nice rig. I just bought a DSL20RH and run it into a Marshall 1965A cab. I'm getting a noise unlike I've ever heard from an amp - it's as if a live microphone placed outdoors was picking up constant wind noise. That happens once the amp is off standby, in either power mode and with no cable in the amp's input and knobs at zero. Changed speaker cables and cabs with the same results. Do you get any such noise from your amp, or did I get a bad one?

2. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

Sorry to say it, but I don't get that sound. That's a bummer, man. Hopefully you can get a replacement?

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mine is dead quiet, so i think there is a problem sorry to say.

scozz and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Shreddy Krueger

UPDATE: After another 24 hours I'm warming to the 20, but the 1 still sounds better to me and I'm having a hard time justifying why that is. Slightly more compressed in a sense, but nothing I can't get the 20 to do if I drop down to half power mode. I actually find that the OD sound is more pleasing that way (to my ears and for my tastes at least) -- takes the edge off and rounds out the sound a little. Still not into the clean channel on either amp. Doesn't take pedals well at all. I'm thinking about sticking with the 1w head, but I've still get another day to decide. Either way, they're both very good amps. I'm just trying to pick out what works best for my purposes.

scozz, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum, yes I think you’ve got a bad one

scozz, Mikey Tone and tce63 like this.
  6. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

You have one of the many defective units. Return it if you can. If you bought it used, Marshall will fix it for free if you send it to them. Remove the chasis if you send it to Marshall, it will save a lot on shipping costs. I am currently waiting on my second replacement from Sweetwater.

Mikey Tone likes this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Do you gig or play out st all Shreddy? Another words are these amp just for at home playing or is there more to it?

8. scozz

Second replacement,....so third amp in all?

tce63 likes this.
  9. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

I have the DSL20h and couldn't be happier. It's very versatile with only a couple of pedals, a OD and distortion and you can get a lot of sounds even at low volume. If you can't cook your tubes just stick a volume or EQ pedal in the loop to cut the signal/level so both the preamp and power amps have to be pushed harder. That way you can get a broader range of tones at low volume.

You can build a volume pedal for about $10. I made one based on this video a friend shared with me.

Just need a couple of jacks and a 25k audio taper pot. Threw one together in about 10 mins.
    Here's mine

10. Shreddy Krueger

Purely playing in my loft right now :yesway: We're planning to move out of the UK at some point during the coming three years, and I'll have space to expand. I'm thinking about a little project. Sound proofing a basement. Small studio just for fun.

Last edited: Jan 10, 2019
    Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and tce63 like this.
  11. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Or you can bye one as I did because im lazy

[​IMG]

12. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

Believe it or not...yes...3rd head. I bought a used combo on ebay and it was defective, but I shipped it tto Marshall and they fixed it free even though it was used under warranty. I will be selling the combo once I get a working Head. A brand new shipping was just received from Marshall at Sweetwater so they are testing the amps before shipping me the third one out.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. scozz

This is the one I bought, $20 bucks...free shipping....

[​IMG]
    I bought this before I even bought the amp I’m gonna use it with! :rolleyes:

tce63, Antmax and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  14. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

3’rd time is the charm! Cheers Mitch

scozz likes this.
  15. scozz

Ok so you bought both to compare and keep the one that works best for you and return the other?

I was thinking about doing that same thing, except with a Dsl20cr and a Dsl5cr....I already have the Dsl1hr.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. Shreddy Krueger

Well, it's crunch time as to which amp I get to hold onto.
    I'm legitimately torn.
    The 1w has an instant Kerrang that I like to hear, and a touch more compression to the overall EQ curve.
    The 20w doesn't have either of those things, but it has a touch more presence that I really dig.
    Seriously tempted to keep both, but I think I can only justify keeping one at the minute.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and tce63 like this.
  17. Shreddy Krueger

So, after a couple of hours of side by side playing, I've come to an odd and unexpected conclusion:
    I don't feel like I have two DSLs.
    I feel like I have a 20w DSL, and a 1w modernised JMP.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Antmax

Antmax Well-Known Member

Your experiences sound weird, maybe you have a faulty DSL20. A lot of the info online comments and video reviews about the 1 state that it is thin and harsh sounding compared to the rest of the line. You seem to be having the opposite experience. Having said that, I wasn't too impressed with many of the video reviews of the 20h either and really like mine.

There have been a lot of QA problems reported on these forums regarding the early batches of DSL20's. Those are usually about odd noises and the amp sounding thin and fizzy, basically castrated. You might have ended up with one of those.

19. Shreddy Krueger

Trust me -- the amp is working fine. And the 1w is anything but thin. Digging both on the gain side - still not into the cleans.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. scozz

Ok, I haven’t seen any of those videos or those comments about the 1 @Antmax. To the contrary, all I’ve seen and read are positive reviews.

Maybe that’s the 1 combo you’re referring to, with it’s 8” speaker, because the 1 head sounds great thru at least a 1-12 cab.

I know that to be true because that’s what I’ve got and it sounds phenomenal. It’s full and thick and creamy,...and has that crunchy Marshall goodness! :D

And it also seems to me that the Dsl1 hasn’t been experiencing the problems that the 20 seems to have.

Anyway that’s my 2 cents....

[​IMG]