Thoughts On The Dsl1 And Dsl20 Heads

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Shreddy Krueger, Jan 9, 2019.

1. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

I just bought a new rig for my loft space, and I'm between deciding on whether I want to keep the DSL1 head or the 20. I'm running through a Victory vertical 2x12 and using Suhr, Ibanez, and Fender guitars right now. Also using a pretty decent pedalboard for boosts and loop fx.

I'm genuinely surprised by how good the DSL1 is. It's thick, more vintage sounding on the ultra gain channel than I'd imagined (within the lower regions), but easily boosted into 80s territory with a klon clone. The fx loop works great. The MV is right on. Even the reverb sounds good to my ears. The only problem with this amp for me is the clean channel. It's very thin and trebley, and it doesn't take gain pedals at all. At least, not at reasonable volume levels for in house playing (i.e. loud stereo levels on a £3k + setup -- no waking baby/annoying wife/sound of strings stuff here).

In comparison the 20, and I'll admit that I've played it less than the 1w, feels lacking to me. Maybe it's because I can't get the tubes cooking, who knows. It just doens't give me, at the minute anyhow, that great Marshall tone that the 1w head gives me. Takes pedals slighter better on the clean channel thanks to the gain pot, but still nothing to write home about in that dept. Something I do like, however, is the standby switch.

So what are your thoughts on the above? Interested in all opinions and shared stories if you've used or owned these amps. I'm tempted to try one of the 50th anniversary heads instead as I've heard that they take pedals better on the clean channel?

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You didn’t mention what speakers you have in the 2-12 cab.

I have a Dsl1hr and I play it thru a MX112R that I changed out the stock speaker to a G12M-65 Creamback. It sounds phenomenal, both channels!

The green channel is not at all “thin and trebly” sounding...not even a little. It’s full and warm and balanced perfectly between treble and bass strings. And when pushed you’ll hear some wonderful warm breakup and crisp, crunchy Marshall goodness!

Now it didn’t always sound this way. The original speaker, (Celestion Seventy/80), was harsh, thin sounding and way too trebly. Most noticeable on the green channel.

I also changed out the V1 position 12AX7 to a 5751 to tame the gain a bit, and it worked perfectly. The guitars I use are Les Pauls and a Strat.

Could be the speakers in your 2-12 are the cause of the tone you describe in the green channel, I don’t know.

What I do know is that the tone I’m hearing with the Creamback is just about perfect for the music I play!

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Shreddy Krueger

Shreddy Krueger Active Member

Ah, good catch. Celestion v 30s. Maybe I should try something less hard in the upper mids? How does it take drive pedals on the clean channel through your set up?

4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

You need greenbacks to make either of those amps sing.

5. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

I have the 20HR and run it into a Bogner 2x12 w creamback 65s. I also have another 2x12 (Jubilee vertical) w greenbacks available. I like the creambacks better with the 20HR. If I had to describe the 20HR into my Bogner cab in two words it would be: Thick and Tasty

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  6. scozz

The only drive pedal I use is a Maxon od9 and I only use it as a clean boost. If I want a heavier tone I’ll switch to the red channel.

But to answer your question it sounds fine.

I love this amp with the power tubes cooking. On the red channel sometimes I’ll dime the volume and use the gain as to taste. Sometimes I’ll have it on 9:00 or on 3:00, or anywhere in between!

It can get pretty loud as you know. :D

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. Deerhunter1972

Deerhunter1972 Well-Known Member

I will second that!

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  8. scozz

I don’t know, the Creamback sounds pretty good to me...

tce63 likes this.
  9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

No experience on either of those 2 amps, but others here do just give it a bit and the answers will come! Cheers Mitch

Shreddy Krueger likes this.
  10. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

My post above was typed this morning, lol I am a dip wadd, as speakers go I am a fan of both the cream and green backs! Cheers

tce63, scozz and Michael Roe like this.
  11. pedecamp

Ive never seen or heard a creamback, I understand the creamback is a higher wattage greenback correct? Tones should be fairly similar we both win! :yesway:

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  12. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

They both are great speakers. I think the creamback is a little more smoother "Creamier" sounding than the greenback. Yes, it is higher wattage also, 65 for the M65s. For me, it's not which is best but which is best for what amp/guitar/player/tone. With my Origin head and that plexi tone the greenbacks work best.

tce63, Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  13. scozz

Yes, basically correct. As I understand it Greenbacks work great in 4-12 cabs...not so much in a 1-12 cab. That’s where a Creamback is a much better choice.

14. pedecamp

Depends on how many watts you need, a greenback is only 25 watts, that in a 1x12 is great for a low watt amp. Me I prefer 2x12 cabs, I have one with greenbacks and another with 75's and they both rock. :yesway:

15. scozz

Well that’s not what I’ve read about it. I also talked to a guy from a Celestion when I was looking for a replacement speaker for a 1-12 Marshall cab. I asked him about a Greenback for that cab and that the amp is a 1 watt head. I was thinking a 25 watt Greenback would be perfect for my 1 watt head.

He told not to get hung up on speaker wattage so much, he went into some detail why but it just went over my head! :nuts: Then he recommended either a Creamback or a Vintage 30, depending on my taste

His said that a Creamback or a Vintage 30, are much fuller sounding speakers, (and some other things I don’t remember), then a Greenback and they would be a much better choice in a 1-12 cab than a Greenback.

His opinion basically was Greenbacks are great speakers when theres another speaker, (or multiple speakers), in a cab with it. It’s not the best choice in his opinion as a stand alone speaker in a cab.

I remember thinking, ‘this guy knows what he talking about’. So I took his advice and went with a Creamback, Im not a big fan of the Vintage 30s, and it sounds great!

And it’s not even broken in yet....who knows if it’ll ever be broken in with a 1 watt amp!!! :shock:

16. pedecamp

Im glad it sounds great, I always wanted to try creambacks. To counter that guys argument, my AC15 I used to have came stock with a single greenback and sounded great. :yesway:

17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have the same experience, run my DSL20HR with 1*12 Creamback and my Origin 20C with 1*12 Greenback, booth sounds great

18. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I run my AC15CH with 2*12 Greenbacks in a Vox Cab, Great Vintage sound.

Mitchell Pearrow and pedecamp like this.
  19. pedecamp

Yes they do sound good, I think they are the best speaker for any DSL in particular.

tce63 likes this.
  20. scozz

I guess we all have our opinions....good tone is subjective. What appeals to one might not appeal to another. We don’t all hear the exact same things the exact same way!

tce63 likes this.