>

This May be a Counterfeit...

Discussion in 'Guitars' started by PaulHikeS2, Feb 24, 2021.

1. Wildeman

Wildeman Well-Known Member

If that is a fake, they are getting so good that I'll never buy a Les Paul. It looks killer to me.

johan.b and thunderkyss like this.
  2. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

The plot thickens...

3. LPMarshall hack

LPMarshall hack Well-Known Member

I love these "Is it fake?" threads. Half are confident it is a phony, the other half is just as confident it is real. If one wanted to know if a guitar was real, they should NEVER take it to the internet for the aforementioned reason.

I say it's real, but then again, it could be a fake. But if not, then it's definitely real. Unless it isn't.

4. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah - I wasn't thinking of that when I opened this - I was trying to see if what I thought was correct and gain some knowledge. Sorry - wasn't looking to start any fights. It's as if I've never used the internet.:shock:

What I've learned:

-Gibson decided to change their numbering convention in mid 2019 model year, but they have yet to share that info in their serial number FAQs on their website.
    -Headstock photos can look distorted due to the crazy break angle
    -Check the truss rod and look for a nut rather than a hex screw thingy. I checked my 2018 so I now know what to look for there.
    -Use Paypal if it's a large purchase, just in case

My concerns were largely driven by the serial number and the headstock shape. I may not buy it, but either way I have more info than when I started this. And Manchester NH has a great guitar shop that should be able to authenticate if I do decide to take the plunge.

Thanks, everyone!

5. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

If in doubt, ask Gibson to verify the serial number. Most Chinese fakes use a small number of serial numbers over and over and over.

Dogs of Doom and PaulHikeS2 like this.
  6. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

Honestly, this is why I usually only buy new Gibsons. Take's the guess work and worry out of buying a used instrument that could be a fake. There's too many fakes out there now days.

Edgar Frog and RCM 800 like this.
  7. Matthews Guitars

Incidentally, very few Gibson models outside the custom shop used inked serial numbers. Gibson just stamps into the wood and they don't add ink into the impressions. I don't have any information that suggests that the model that this is supposed to be is one of those where they ink in the serial number impressions.

I will say it's a pretty good looking guitar overall. It might be a good instrument even if it is a fake. I do know the Chinese forgers are trying to improve their work so as to keep the money coming in. But it doesn't convince me that it's a real Gibson. If it IS real, then that's disappoiinting, Gibson should do better.

A caution about buying with PayPal: If you use the "send money to friends and family" option, your purchase IS NOT PROTECTED as that type of service is not for the purchase of goods. Read their user agreement. Use that type of service and you will not get your money back from paypal no matter what the nature of your complaint.

PaulHikeS2 and fitz288 like this.
  8. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

I'm no expert but I'm just not seeing the 'nubs' there, and I thought all bound-edged Gibsons had them?

9. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

Everyone can have an opinion as expected. The ones that get me are the "SHIITTT!! ...at first glance I just knew! ...fake! ....SHIITTT!! ...not even a good fake!". Especially when they have nothing substantial and key to say in support of their "instant" magical abilities.

The first thing you learn from these types is that they have no idea at all in reality, It's a know-it-all attention grab when others look none the wiser. Plus, common sense first would say you don't look at that any guitar this good and say such a thing. That guitar is very deserving of a respectful look-over.

No ones impressed when you ultimately look the fool.

OP: There are many online to choose from. Take your time, and you'll get a good one.

:yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow and Ray Baker like this.
  10. thunderkyss

thunderkyss Active Member

I don’t see anything fake about it. But I’d be upset if I get & that turns out to be a bright clown red.

That’s a good looking guitar. I’d pay with PayPal credit & if it turns out to be fake, I’d send it back.

11. Uncle Fester

Uncle Fester New Member

The Headstock grabs my attention Frikin Nice.
    Call Gibson with the ser. number and they can tell you all about the guitar.

A Nitro finish... The copies out of China are not yet using Nitro,, but I could be wrong.

You ever play a real 57,-60 LP?
    One word. Keep the finish Clean and Carnuba Wax it.
    When that Nitro breaks and checks, it gets all gummy and Nasty!

Some dudes never clean, and poly finish would be a better way to go.

PaulHikeS2 likes this.
  12. Dwight Adams

Dwight Adams New Member

It is definitely a fake it is Not a 2019 by that serial number and the back would not be red but light brownish if its the 50s. If the head stock didn't look kinda funny ID say it might be a 2012.

13. Matthews Guitars

Boy, Gibson sure can make serial numbers difficult, can't they? Their current system is as clear as mud.
    Or should I say...their whole bunch of systems are as clear as mud and confusing as can be.

Over the years I always figured that if I ever stepped up and made a real business out of making guitars, I'd use a simple system that works for everything I make. Something like...two digits for year. Three digits for model. And three digits for production number. Such as 21-003-004, fourth one made of my third model in 2021. Every specific model gets its own number. Variations (custom orders, etc) would be documented in the master records book.

PRS uses a bar code system called MODCAT which tells them the full build spec of a guitar. The MODCAT number identifies the spec, the serial number identified the date of manufacture.

As for the guitar that's the subject of this discussion, I'm no longer sure it's fake but I'm definitely not sure it's an authentic Gibson, either.

Look at the truss rod cover. See how much of it is between the E and A strings at the nut, and see how much of it is between the B and E strings at the nut. It's WAY off center and more than I'd expect out of a "quality" Gibson guitar.

If it's Chinese it's the best looking fake I've seen yet.

14. Bloodrock

Bloodrock Well-Known Member

That crappy Half assed flame top sure looks like a real Gibson to me.

Dogs of Doom and Adieu like this.
  15. dna9656

dna9656 Active Member

16. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

To those of you who say it's fake. What do you see?... because I don't see it.
    Headstock has the proper "wings"
    Nut is standard gibson
    Nibs?.. photo isn't clear enough to say they are missing
    Bridge looks proper
    Selector and knobs are in the right place
    Backplates looks proper
    Pick guard looks correct
    Serial number corresponds with others I've seen lately

... what do you see that makes you sure enough to make a sale at a fair price, for the seller too... from this point on... impossible?...
    J

Georgiatec and Sapient like this.
  17. Travis398

Travis398 Well-Known Member

I vote real

18. RLW59

RLW59 Well-Known Member

If I had questions about the authenticity of a Marshall, I wouldn't ask on a forum dedicated to Les Pauls. Sure, lots of LP fans play Marshalls, love Marshalls, and know them very well. Sure, lots of people here play LP's, love LP's, and know a lot about LP's. And sure, a lot of people here are also active members of LP forums.

But you've had people tell you the serial is the wrong format, that the bridge and tailpiece are wrong, that the back and neck shouldn't be red -- all sorts of erroneous comments that you're less likely to get on a forum where the only reason people participate is because they're really into LP's.

Mitchell Pearrow and Sapient like this.
  19. JohnH

JohnH Well-Known Member

For me, its just the nubs, or not, here's a blow up:

Clipboard05.jpg

What does anyone think? I agree its not clear, but maybe someone with a bound-edged Gibson to compare with could comment.

Another place to investigate is inside the control cavity, obviously not provided in this ad. Little skinny pots are common in Asian guitars, instead of full size, plus, by 2019 in an LP Standard, we'd be expecting the Gibson circuit board system wouldn't we?

Last edited: Feb 27, 2021
  20. Gutch220

Gutch220 Well-Known Member

It would also help to see the inside guts.
    To me it looks real. If it's fake, it's very good.
    If you could weigh it, that would help. I doubt a knock-off would take time to carve out the body.