"This guitar..."

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
Tell the story about your favorite guitar; the one you'll never sell; the one that defines you, or maybe changed your life; the one you'd go back into the burning house to save; the one that has an intravenous connection to your soul.

What make & model is it?
When and where did you buy it?
How did you acquire it (e.g.; did you save up for a long time for it, was it a gift, did you visit multiple stores to find the right one, etc.)?
Any other details, or things you want to share about it.
Add some pics if you have any.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
History “Les Paul”, can’t remember the exact model name/number. Made in Japan.

Bought it a few years ago from a luthier, couple of states away from here.

Just bought it outright. Wasn‘t “elite level” (?) Gibson price to begin with, plus used anyway.

Weighs a ton. Plays so smooth. Sounds like a classic old skool LP to me, and I’m a big fan of that. Through a 100w Marshall is perfection. Can be tuned down to Eb Standard or Drop D with ease, and holds its tuning just great regardless.

Will try to find a photo from a while back, or maybe take another.

KidBlast

Reaction score
I have a few I don't consider are ever "sellable" but if there was one electric, it would be this

Wine Red '95 LP standard
1AsMQ29.jpg

Found it in a music store in the town my job was located at the time. (Marlboro Mass)

The day I walked in and saw this on the rack behind the register I was hoping for a cherry burst, but the store had 3 LPs at the time. A Gold Top, a Black Standard and this one

I wasn't' a fan of the 500 series pickups and the black one did nothing for me, so I started checking out this one.

The store the same kind of amp that I was using at the time too (A Marshall JTM 60 combo). That was a pretty good sign I had come to the right place.

The setup was pretty much perfect but needed a little bit of help after I got it home.

Came with 490R/498T pickups and it's pretty much all stock except for the Bigsby/Vibramate I added some years back, which is 100% reversable.

Never effected the tuning either.

I've replaced the machine heads once, but went with identical replacement Kluson Deluxe (I still have the original ones)

It's a heavy guitar. Just over 11lbs with the Bigsby added.

I still have the original case, it is well road worn with a taped up handle. I have it riding in a newer case now.

Bought in August of '95, and paid $1,299. I still have the hang tags and sales invoice

I've recorded many tracks, played many gigs with this. it's my #1 hands down.

I have three marshalls now too, and it's heaven in any of them. This guitar rocks in anything I plug it into.

yep,, never sellin this one

Last edited:

junk notes

Reaction score
Traded when I was too young to know what I had. :facepalm: For the most part, 60s and 70s amps and guitars were everywhere to be had. These were my guitars - "the one you'll never sell". Now I go to guitar shows and have anxiety attacks.
thud.gif

XTRXTR

Reaction score
It was 1987 I think. Wanted a new guitar. I had my tax return which was kinda large for me. I checked out this new place that sold new and used. I saw it and had to try it even if it wasn't new. I can't remember the name of the store but at the time Pro Sound was the biggest player in my state. MF and GC weren't even a thing yet.

Anyway its a bright Desert Yellow officially, more like Neon or Hot Yellow as they used to say for blacklight UV, to make it pop, Ibanez 540 Saber with the Bensalem, PA USA address base neck plate on it, two black Humbucker pickups with USA stamped on it for the neck and bridge as well as a single coil. Just USA not IBZUSAF1 or same with IBZUSAC2...etc. I later found out these were Dimarzio made for Ibanez in their early Metal years made in 1982 during a transition from USA to Japan.
1665059554682.png
1665059641452.png
That one is not mine ^^ but has the right color and is also custom but switches are wrong.

It is a custom job from factory as no catalogs have it listed or shown from that era. Most had a H-H type 3 way or S-S-H 5 way. Mine is H-S-H 5 way with the original Wizard neck very sleek with low action. The S series is what they used to call the Saber series. The 540 was the top of that series at that time with the first edge whammy with licensed by Floyd Rose in tiny letters. These only came in a handful of lipstick or hot opaque colors.

Anyway, I paid $575 for it back in '88. It plays for days and I would let my Fender custom shop HB Classic player die in a fire before it.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
the one you'll never sell; the one that defines you, or maybe changed your life; the one you'd go back into the burning house to save; the one that has an intravenous connection to your soul.
Not sure I'll ever have one of those.
I really like some of my guitars, and I've acquired some of them at what I think are fantastic deals.
Guitars would come after my kit-tehs in the burning house scenario, and I've got a few amps close to the door...
Enjoying the stories though...

TXOldRedRocker

Classic Rock or die! -- Patrick Henry
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have some really awesome guitars, and I'd try to save them all. I think I have one that is "more cool" than the rest.

I have a Gibson Custom Shop Peter Frampton Les Paul 3 pickup Ebony. A copy of his famous Phenix guitar. The physical guitar is an exact replica of Peter's, without any relic. Peter uses Tom Holmes pickups in his Phenix, especially made by Tom for Peter. I arranged for Tom to make me, to the best of his ability, exact replicas of the 3 pickups in Peter's guitar. So now I have a replica that is as close, inside and out, to the famous Phenix, as is possible. Minus wear and tear.

InTheCase.jpg

Filipe Soares

Reaction score
1983 Vantage Les Paul, built at Matsumoku factory.

That was actually my 2nd guitar and in fact my guitar and my 1st good guitar. I bought it with a dimarzion distortion at the bridge and to me was like a ¨better guitar¨ but not my forever guitar.

Years passed by and she was always my no.1, the competition was tough: gibson, esp, bc rich, hamer, carvin... but due some weird juju, voodoo, mandinga or whatever that guitar has, making it sounded so big, so metal, so brutal she kept her place since then.

I´ve installed lot´s of differente pickups, electronics and somehow she evolved with me. Actually I bought a 2nd one expecting the same magic, didn´t happened.
vantage.jpg

Last edited:

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
My Gibson special tribute with P90s is only guitar I’d bother to save in a fire. I’ve even contemplated selling all the others. Ticks all the boxes. Had it about a year and half now and still love it.
For many years it was my squier classic vibe tele but I don’t play it now even tho it’s cool. Sound, feel and playability the Gibson is perfect.

It’s the white one in middle. Tele stays in the case as doesn’t get played and looks cool 👌🏻

Last edited:

GIBSON67

Reaction score
I bought my 1967 SG Special back in 1987 for all of $250. I added the Vibrola at a later date. Things like that were really hard to find, back then. It came with Pre-T Top HBs which I sold for stupid money...they squealed at higher gain settings like no others. I put some 490's in there and they are in the same family and sound great! Both of my sons learned to play on it and now my Grandson. It's been around longer than any woman...and it's never going anywhere.

1665090209774.jpeg

1665090713593.jpeg 1665090794995.jpeg

Söulcaster

VIP Member
Reaction score
My early 90's Studio is the guitar I have the most history with, heavily gigged and recorded.

It is wine red in colour, the photo does not do it justice, but it sounds killer, breathes fire......just love it.

It's up there with any of my more expensive LP's, just a joy to play. This one will be going to one of the kids when I die........
24900222_936424849866558_5123619245582091437_n.jpg

24862377_936424846533225_566734497054672238_n.jpg

Peace

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I can't really pick one but the one in my avatar is one of three that will only leave me when they are passed on to the next generation, because it's one of the three that I've built for myself and which I have a strong connection to. I have others I made that I could stand to part with, but three, my SG, the one shown in my avatar, and my LP, are definitely my lifetime permanent collection. Even my acoustic archtop, which took a year out of my life to build, might be negotiable, compared to these three.

AlvisX

Garage Guerrilla
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, this '07 Custom Shop Les Paul Jr is one I refer to as my best Les Paul
I got it off ebay ,about 2010 , when used Custom Shop guitars were not so expensive

On the other end of the spectrum
Maestro partscaster that I can't put down .Neck came off a Maestro SG , (plywood) body came from Goodwill, pickup & tuners from Allparts .I don't even have to take my good guitars outa the house anymore .....

mrjones2004x

Reaction score
Well, this '07 Custom Shop Les Paul Jr is one I refer to as my best Les Paul
I got it off ebay ,about 2010 , when used Custom Shop guitars were not so expensive

On the other end of the spectrum
Maestro partscaster that I can't put down .Neck came off a Maestro SG , (plywood) body came from Goodwill, pickup & tuners from Allparts .I don't even have to take my good guitars outa the house anymore .....

2 les paul junior types in satin white 😍 my kinda geetar

XTRXTR

Reaction score
Sentimental vs $enti-Mental can be a tough choice in a fire. I've been in a fire actually and I saved three Ibanez Sabers one was the 540, a Destroyer, and a modified Peavey T-60. Luckily the rest were saved by a fire extinguisher before the fire trucks pulled up to put in the fans that blow the smoke out of the house.

This all happened in seconds but in my mind it is in slow motion and hard to put in a real time as simultaneous things were converging.

It was started by my brother who was running lights at the time so he lived with me. He had cooked Fish n Chips and left the pot with hot oil on the burner while set on a med high. When he saw some smoke flowing out of the kitchen he ran back in there turned off the oil which was a roiling boil by then...there was no fire yet. Then for some unthinkable reason, probably adrenaline, he decided to get the pot of oil outside. He used both hands with pot holders - not the glove type. So he picks it up and a tiny little boiling bubble popped a small drop onto the topside of his left hand. And in a reaction to pain he lifted that side of the pot which spilled the hot oil directly on his right hand. It was so hot he didn't feel it but dropped the entire pot on a linoleum floor.

The flash point of that stuff is rather low. In seconds the entire kitchen poofed up into a fire like throwing gasoline onto a fire. He was in the middle of it but was able jump out of it into the living room. Then ran to the garage and grabbed the fire extinguisher and put the whole fire out. Oil and resin sliding under his shoes.

By the time I got off the phone with 911 he had managed to save the day. I was on the phone while carrying out guitars. He had 3rd degree burns on both hands. The left hand he used to swipe oil off the right hand, and it was still hot enough to burn his left with that action between the pointer and thumb. Not to be gory but when he wiped his right hand the top couple layers just peeled and looked like a napkin draped over his fingers.

I hadn't known any of this until after the 911 call and found him at the sink running cold water over it. I had to hold him up there as he began to faint from pain or the body just shuts you down kinda. I just talked to him calmly to keep him going, then the fire trucks rolled up and took over his medical attention. It was horrific and I started getting sick from the site of it.

Sorry I guess I still have a PTSD from that trauma I hadn't thought of it for nearly 30 years now. No I didn't get hurt but it is my brother. He is lucky it was not worse. And he was heroic in staying focused to put the fire out on adrenaline.

He was on morphine for about three or four months for the rehab exercises to keep his hand from pulling back his fingers while trying to heal and losing his ability to use his hand. He had to stretch his hand three times a day which made the tissues break and split each time. I had to talk him into it each session, it's the worst pain there is. It was like talking someone into allowing torture when they knew what was coming. He recovered with full use of both hands but that was brutal to watch and I'm certain for him. He still loves cooking.

But hey I saved the guitar...:erk: