THIEVES... Grrrrrrr!

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Moose Lewis, Jun 18, 2011.

1. Moose Lewis

Moose Lewis Well-Known Member

I posted this elsewhere and decided to edit my original post (below), since it was a thread about Dean guitars - not thieves. Got any similar experiences? I think there's a special hell reserved for people that steal a musician's instruments.
    ==================================================

:mad: That one would have brought out the medieval moose. I once had a Fender Precision bass and Fender Bassman rig stolen from a practice space. I put my life on hold and did not stop searching and asking questions until I found the culprit. In cases like this, it's usually someone you know or who has been there and seen it.

While I know I would get arrested for it these days (it happened around 1970), I went to his house; tossed his friend off the porch who tried to bar my way; chased the guy around his house, pounding on him - then literally kept him in a one arm headlock, dragging him to my car and made him direct me to where the stolen gear was.

The first was a pawn shop. When I demanded the owner produce the stolen amp and speaker cab (with the thief still in tow), he threatened to call the police. I told him to do exactly that so I could report him for buying stolen gear. The pawnshop owner wound up loading the amp and cab into the car for me (since I only had one free arm).

We then went to his friend that he sold the bass to - who had started sanding the finish off against the grain in an effort to disguise it. He was a smart ass about it, but did hand it over. After that, I dumped the thief on the street far from home with a heartfelt warning.

I'm a gentler person these days... but when it comes to this sort of thing - only because of modern laws. Grrrrrrrrumph!

2. V-man

V-man Well-Known Member

:lol:

Great story. One out of every hundred or thousand times, you get such a happy ending and it's all worth it. Hoodrat sped out in front of me on my own bike (left it in the courtyard because the chain was popping like crazy). I won't repeat what I screamed in pursuit, but his feets was whirling madly and the chain popped. The look on his face was priceless as he dumped the bike and went ass and elbows across the busy intersection in terror.

SmokestackElRopo and Moose Lewis like this.
  3. Moose Lewis

I don't know if I'd say 'happy' ending... the bass was terribly disfigured by the cross-sanding. It took a long time and a lot of elbow grease to make it presentable again. Although, I was happy with the natural finish I wound up with over the original white. :)

diesect20022000 likes this.
  4. rnau

rnau New Member

When I was fixing cars, I had my Craftsman rollaway stolen out of my garage. It was full of Snap-on, Craftsman, and matco, etc. I filed a police report, but unfortunately the story ends there. I never felt so angry and violated before. Luckily, I never had a guitar stolen.

5. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

I had my Honda Custom 900 stolen ... anyone who steals guitars, gear, tools or people's bikes - ...special place in hell, that's all i'm saying.

HOT TUBES 70 likes this.
  6. StootMonster

StootMonster New Member

I still have the keys and the title even though it was stolen about 10 years ago. Maybe one day I'll get a call from the Mesa Police Department in Arizona saying someone found a totally restored 1981 Custom 900 that matches the vin on my stolen vehicle report.

I may win the lottery first, though.

IbanezMark likes this.
  7. diesel king

diesel king New Member

About a month ago at a gig, one of the other bands picked up my les paul and nearly had off with it. Had I gone for a piss or to the bar at that minute that'd been my pride and joy gone. Thieving is for the lowest form of scum and I wish death upon people who steal instruments especially

SmokestackElRopo likes this.
  8. Moose Lewis

I spent most breaks sitting behind my amp, watching through the space between head & cabs to add to the mystery (where did he go?), have a real time-out & see that no one came up on stage. I only hit the crowds when I needed to have a word with that special lady. ;)

Gtarzan81 likes this.
  9. Adwex

Adwex New Member

Years ago I had an 85 Mustang GT with a killer sound system that was worth as much as the car. One morning I woke up, the doors and hatch were open, and half of my system was gone. I replaced the system to even better than it was, then a few years later, the whole car was stolen from the parking lot at work. Two weeks later it was found stripped.

I hate thieves....and liars.

10. scat7s

scat7s New Member VIP Member

thats awesome moose, good for you

when my gear got stolen from my apt, it was the guy upstairs from me who did it.
    he used to come down and hang out once in a while, smoke a doob, have a beer.

as soon as the gear went missing, so did he, i never saw him again. but not for a lack of trying.

later i read about him (and his room mate) in the papers, he was molesting his 4 yr old daughter, filming it, and apparently trying to sell the vids. micheal cochran is his name. this is the only payback i can give him at this point.

special place in Hell indeed.

words aint strong enough to describe.

11. rdamaral

rdamaral New Member

My home was burglarized Monday. They got two handguns, a bunch of my wife's jewelry and our safe. Nothing too important in the safe.

They didn't even mess with my guitars. As I cleared the house upon entry, weapon drawn, the only thing that even mattered to me was my custom Shop Jackson. Once that was still standing on her stand, my blood pressure went down, just a little bit.

If I ever find who kicked in my back door that day, lord help him...

Strateuphoria likes this.
  12. 66 galaxie

66 galaxie Well-Known Member VIP Member

Good story Moose!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvNBdSerHVU]YouTube - ‚Ä™MINISTRY Thieves‚Ĩ‏[/ame]

13. MartyStrat54

MartyStrat54 Well-Known Member

I've had a guitar stolen from me. A car stolen from me and tools stolen from me.

I don't wish that sinking feeling on anyone.:(:(:(

14. brp

brp Well-Known Member

The 1st guitar I ever owned was stolen but it was a blessing in disguise as it forced me to get something new that didn't sound of ass as much. It was one of those Harmony Sears jobbies.

15. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

I won't get into details but i have had a few things ripped off from me over the years , i feel the law makers need to have something of value taken from them , then they might start to rethink these lax laws they have going on , maybe we need to start lopping off some hands to get our point across !!

SmokestackElRopo likes this.
  16. ckr1231

ckr1231 Active Member

When I was a teenager, my younger brother stole 14 electric guitars over a period of time from me. Fender Strats, Gibson Lps, Flying V's and even a real 3/4 scale Fender Strat. He sold 1/2 million cds in a metal band a few years ago and has never offered anything back to me. Cocaine is all he lives for. He has thrown away all his true drum playing skills and just lives on the beach in FLA all strung out.
    We speak to each other every few years and bare the scars of civil war !!!!

17. HOT TUBES 70

HOT TUBES 70 Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that CKR1231 !!:(

18. 66 galaxie

66 galaxie Well-Known Member VIP Member

That's a shame. Hopefully someday he will get his act together.

19. Papus

Papus Well-Known Member

I propose we grab random teenagers and emo's from the malls and EXECUTE them right there on the spot, in the mall.
    Let's be fair about it: ask them a simple question and give them 2 seconds to answer "Justify your existence in this mall right now".
    Sit back and watch as truancy and vagrancy become things of the past....
    Anyone who trespasses on my property will meet with the business end of a Gray-Nicolls cricket bat...
    I like the idea of driving them miles from anywhere and DUMPING their asses :)
    Even better - strip them naked and dump them on a major freeway with no option but to hitch a ride, and write "Thief" on their forehead in permanent ink.

20. JayCM800

JayCM800 Well-Known Member

I've only had horses (5 of them!) stolen from our ranch when i was growing up. To this day i still feel sad about what possible life and/or abuses they could have been subjected to by the thieves.