These pickups are KICK A$$!

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Adrian R, Oct 18, 2021.

1. Adrian R

Adrian R Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I have tried SOOO many pickups over the past couple years... Gibson, DMZ, SD, PT..etc...

And then I stumbled on JWP... I have tried 3 different models...and while they all sound SOO much better then all that I have mentioned...these are my favorites.

http://www.jimwagnerpickups.com/darkburst_set

They're just right... Right under 9kO.. A5 magnets... and sound great doing anything...

Great metal pickup too! Really mean sounding under the right conditions...not to strong or weak in the mids...just right..warm, very warm, yet articulate as hell...and VERY quiet...

They're very sensitive to height and pole position.. You could spend hours tweaking them....

They're about on par with what the cost of new Gibson pickups are...but quite a bit more then DMZ, or SD...but they sound SOO much better...

wntbtw, jeffb, PaulHikeS2 and 4 others like this.
  2. jeffb

jeffb Well-Known Member

Jim makes great stuff. He's gone under the radar in recent years because he is not vintage authentic but the pickups speak for themselves- tone and dynamics are Ace.

Adrian R likes this.
  3. johnny q

johnny q Well-Known Member

Yeah - I have wanted to try a set of Darkbursts since forever. The only WCR pickup I ever owned was something called the Shredder, which was sold exclusively by RS Guitarworks - it was WCR's take on the venerable Duncan JB.

I currently have a set of Sheptone AB Customs in my Les Paul R9 - same "Vintage Hot" Alnico 5 concept. I wonder how they compare?

Adrian R likes this.
  4. Adrian R

I've gotta drkbrst bridge pup coming today or tomorrow. Going in one of my LPs. It's a fantastic soloing pickup..it truly *sings* ..Nothing else I've tried in the past sounds sooo good soloing...

Kim Lucky Day and johnny q like this.
  5. Adrian R

Yup 10-4 man. Their unique for sure...Their Fillmore is like a 498t..but soo much better...similar specs..but far more responsive to your guitars volume and tone controls. Their drkbrst is kinda like 57' Classic, but with more balls, clarity..warmth ...and sings way better...Excellent metal pickup too...great sustain and mean sounding in a high gain realm. Their priced the same as new Gibson pups too.

johnny q and jeffb like this.
  6. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

His stuff was always well thought of on the LPF when I used to go there. In fact I seem to recall he used to post there.

jeffb and Adrian R like this.
  7. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Followed the link and I liked the fillmore bridge a lot. My bridge is a little bright. Maybe...

8. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member