The video game thread.

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Alligatorbling, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Vinsanitizer

Vinsanitizer Forum Support Spec. Double Platinum Supporting Member VIP Member

No, I bought my Switch in late 2017 and I'll be darned if I'm going to buy it again (v1.1) just for extra battery life. That's the kind of thing that pisses consumers and fans off: either get it right the first time, or wait until the product is truly out of Beta. Nintendo already strung us along with no data backups and then finally charges us a yearly fee to keep backups in tact. And the omission of Bluetooth for audio is almost unforgivable. Literally EVERYTHING today is Bluetooth audio capable. I get that there's lag, but so FIX IT THEN!

2. sleepnaught

sleepnaught Member

Well, it was really a case of the chip being the only thing available on the market for them to develop for. So, while it sucks for early adopters, at least there's an option for them to get better battery life. And yeah, cloud saves should be a thing on every game and should be FREE, like they are on Steam.

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  3. Ransom

Ransom Active Member Silver Supporting Member

I have done lots and lots and lots of gaming, starting in 1978 on the Atari 2600! I'll be brief as I can and say that the three systems that are played the most at my house are my Switch, PS4 and Wii U. The Wii U is way more powerful than it got credit for but Nintendo didn't market it at all!! I think it only sold 10 million units or so. A lot of gamers didn't know what it was - including Nintendo fans! I thought it was a great console but it became the red-headed stepchild in no time - no offense meant to any red-headed stepchildren here.

As for games, on the PS4 I'm a huge fan of the Uncharted series. Beautiful, fun, with dialog that is funny as all hell at times, and just fantastic to play. But my Switch is the prize pig...and it was a gift from my siblings last year! The portability has changed everything for me. I'm the old man on the commuter train who's playing a Switch with reading glasses on.

I've tended to try out more 3rd-party titles on the Switch, including Okami HD. That was a pretty big indie title back in the day but it is simply gorgeous on the Switch. The Zelda series is also a big deal and I'm only about 10% of the way through BotW. I'm also into the Mario world (I just preordered the Switch version of Mario 3D All-Stars that comes out in a week, which includes Mario 64, Super Mario Sunshine and the first Super Mario Galaxy). Mario Kart is always a blast! When I play Kart online and end up getting wailed on and fall into 9th place or worse, I always imagine that it's a bunch of 6-year-olds with much better reflexes who just kicked my ass.

I'm saving the best for last...if you haven't played it, you GOTS to get Hollow Knight! This game is an experience and is hard as hell! The visuals, tight controls, soundtrack, the seemingly endless things you can do...it is my personal GOAT. Nothing comes close. Zelda Twilight Princess got quickly unseated by Hollow Knight as my favorite game all-time, which didn't seem possible. It comes with whatever DLC they made for it - right now I'm at 102% completion and still have the final boss and two other crushing tasks left to do LOL. And once you get past Hollow Knight, its follow-up game will eventually come out (no one knows when) and it's called Silksong. I'm really hoping it'll be this year because Nintendo had a trailer for it all the way back on Valentine's Day of 2019!

Vinsanitizer likes this.
  4. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Well-Known Member

had a ps4 and used to be a gamer, sold it to fund guitars, now i play gran turismo 5 on ps3 that i got with a tv ages ago and ots pretty fun, might try find a really cheap xbox secondhand for forza and a cheap wii for wii sports and stuff

5. mcblink

mcblink Well-Known Member

Necrobumping for the sole purpose of casting another vote for The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild.

My boy got a Nintendo Switch for Christmas and I have been playing this game ever since. Easily probably one of the best games of this generation. It's consuming entirely way to much of my time, and I'm loving it!

Anyway, I'm off now. I have a Lynel hunt planned for today. Gotta get them horns, hooves and guts! After that, I'm farming some dragon parts.