The Unofficial Official Almost All Encompassing Modeling Thread

Discussion in 'Other Amps' started by royslead, Feb 20, 2021.

1. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

Anyone using an eq between their modeler and output device (amp, powered speaker, DAW, whatever)? My unit has a 5 band global eq on the output side, but I tend to leave it flat, and use a rack mounted eq. It makes it a bit easier to pull up or cut a few frequencies without horsing around with my presets.

2. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

So to continue my view on my Headrush gigboard. It is virtually all I use in my studio, I play it through 2 5-iinch monitors. It is ok. It saves my ears and is quite versatile. But it is not a tube amp.

Tonight I took it to my music club. It was poor. I suppose I could have spent time refining it. But why? my blues junior or SV20 with or without a pedal board leave it standing for the natural sound.

So tube amp wins for me. But to be clear my gigboard is here to stay.

G

3. Derek S

Derek S Well-Known Member

I'm still very much enthused (and learning lol) by the Axe FX III. I've never considered myself a tube snob, I just like great tones, but I don't see getting rid of the III at all because much like my tube amps, it's giving me great end results. Been a busy summer but as things cool off I'm sure I'll be back indoors and spending more time in the music room with it, actually looking forward it.

Frodebro and G the wildman like this.
  4. G the wildman

Hi Guys,

I am still experimenting with my Headrush Gigboard. In fact I bought PA speaker and now take it to practice sessions.

I would like to buy and load some IRs on to it as I think that will improve it.

Does anyone here know if all IRs can be loaded on it or do they have to be a special type.

Thank you

G

5. bobpick68

bobpick68 Well-Known Member

I know that the MX5 can take IR's with both 1024 and 2048 sample rates, so yeah you shouldn't have any issues using any IR's.

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  6. saxon68

saxon68 Well-Known Member

I had a Kemper stage but couldn’t bond with the interface, after having a Helix previously. Moved the Kemper along and got another Helix Floor, and holy crap it sounded better than my old one, that 3.0 patch made a HUGE difference. I felt the Kemper had better amp sounds than my old Helix, but agree that it’s very comparable now. Zero regrets purchasing one again.

oh and line 6 gave me a free copy of Helix Native and Cubase, they’re doing that deal until end of February 2022.

7. G the wildman

I am now using the K pedal on my headrush, which is a wampler distortion . Hendrix breakup is good. I like it!

Getting better sounds every day. Speaker in the room is different to a tube, and cab, but I have trouble dialling in my SV to sound as good. I never thought I would say that. BUT TO QUALIFY, before someone shoots me, I am talking home use. I probably need to get an amp to my guitar club, but the Headrush is so convenient.

G

8. saxon68

Nothing wrong with them at all.
    I’ve been gigging a Helix, I’ve got a small speaker on stage but the Helix goes straight to the FOH. Sound guy loves it, it’s easy to move and setup. At home I jam a JVM half stack but my days of lugging it around are behind me I think.

Derek S likes this.
  9. saxon68

Gotta let that one alone for now until a few others try it out.

10. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

I used modelers for about 15 years until I switched back to amps. When i first played through my tube amp i immediately noticed the feel of how the amp responds to your playing. The older modelers didn't behave that way. It took me a few days to get the feel of playing with a real amp again. I got a Kemper a few years later but I noticed as long as the Kemper is being output through a cab it felt like a tube amp did.

11. royslead

royslead Well-Known Member

I have a question for those using their modelers in a live rig. First, some info on mie: GSP1101 into a 15 band / channel EQ, into: (previously) a Marshall 9100 (best sound I've had, but sold it), or a Headrush FRFR 112 - could get very loud, always sounded compressed - sold it. Currently, Alesis RA-100 into the same , two, 1z12 cabs with Eminence Delta 12 speakers I ran with the Marshall. So far, this is the worst tone, in terms of it sounding "compressed" that I have ever had. The volume doesn't matter, though I did find improvement by lowering the preset volumes, and turning up the power amp. Obviously, to me, it's the amp. So, what are you using, do or did you have that overly "compressed" and / or lifeless tone; or did you find a solution? I don't want to go back to a tube powered power amp. Far too heavy for my rig, and would like to keep with something small, as in up to a two space rack size (a single space would be even better). I've read about Matrix amps, not sure if that is the solution, but also not very budget friendly. I have tried a few different, guitar speakers - same type of compressed / lifeless tone.