The trend toward low wattage amps and low sound levels

Discussion in 'The Backstage' started by Trelwheen, Apr 2, 2021.

1. Trelwheen

Trelwheen Certified B.S. Launcher Double Platinum Supporting Member

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  2. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I need an attenuator. My 1 watt JVM is too loud when I crank it! :)...

:wave:

3. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

My guitar teacher's most commonly used gigging amp today is using an amp in the 15 watt class and it's big enough for any of his current gigs. And they're outdoors at medium sized restaurants with largish outdoor dining areas.

Way back in the 70s he played Carnegie hall once, with a full Marshall stack and it was mostly cranked.

How times have changed. To quote the Beatles, "Some forever not for better".

4. ricksdisconnected

ricksdisconnected Well-Known Member

bring a high wattage amp and turn it down.
    or, bring a low wattage amp and turn it up.
    :shrug:

Old Punker, Jethro Rocker and Sapient like this.
  5. ricksdisconnected

here is a beginners amp for you guys.

6. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

ATV’s
    Locomotives load testing in notch 8
    Concerts (Uli) in the kill zone of the 4 x 12 100w cranked
    Mesa 50w single rec.(gone)
    Marshall 100w JCM 900 dual reverb 2 x 12 combo (gone)

Last edited: Apr 5, 2021
  7. DaDoc

DaDoc Well-Known Member

And when it comes to testosterone levels, those skinny jeans guys are wearing these days may not be helping either..:lol:

8. PaulHikeS2

PaulHikeS2 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I rent. Only one call to the landlord and no visits from the police over the past year. I'd like to keep it that way. Primarily use a DSL1HR and a Vox AC4 and I like the versatility in tone I can get at reasonable volume.

BTW, the landlord complaint resulted in him telling the neighbor two floors above me to grow a set and if you have a problem with a little noise to go buy your own house.

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yup, them progressively getting bigger was an answer to an issue (the guitar player not getting heard over the brass players/thousands of screaming fans) that doesn't exist any more, with PAs and monitors being what they have been for the last 30 years or so.

Big amps are fun, but I have a hard time believing even 1% of people posting here have ever been in a situation where a full stack was a necessity, or even appropriate for the gig. I've been on or around a few thousands of stages in the last 20 years, including some pretty big ones, and have never once encountered a situation where it was necessary to get the audience to hear you. But then again, any serious gig these days means a decent PA, mics and monitors. It's not 1970 anymore. And insisting to drown out the stage "just because" is the most surefire way to get kicked out of the stage, club and band pretty fast, in my world (and probably any gigging player's).
    Not even mentioning that it's not because people used to destroy their hearing that it's a good idea to keep doing that. At one time in history, doctors thought bloodlettings, poultices and lampreys were the only possible cures for any disease. By the same logic, we should throw away any medication and revert to that ?

Ah, and the whole fake macho act reeks of insecurity and/or immaturity, and probably isn't something any of those spewing that BS would utter in front of their mothers or wives (just as I subscribe to the theory that people that utter the most homophobic crap usually are either dimwits, or closeted homosexuals that have a hard time dealing with that).
    Plus it's pretty ironic for a bunch of "rock guys" to talk that kind of talk when the previous generation was so dismissive of the original rock gods for "looking like girls" with their long hair and tight clothes (does the name "Robert Plant" ring a bell ?)

10. anitoli

anitoli Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

What if a full stack gives you a sound you never got with anything else and doesn't need to be cranked wide open just enough to be enough and that's it? I don't see why this would be an issue anywhere. It's what i call "volume discipline".

11. Sapient

Sapient   Silver Supporting Member Platinum Supporting Member

They're called "Soy-boys", Doc. Lol.

Ray Baker, Trelwheen and DaDoc like this.
  12. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

I love this guy...and this is NOT bullshit! Preamp distortion IS fizzy and it DOES sound like ass! And after doing 30+ years on stage and now the last 8 as FOH in small/medium rock clubs, the results are in! Small, fizzy, trebly, mic’d up amps where the player is using stomp boxes or whatever to get some overdrive or distortion is most often the very reason guitar players are told they are too loud and told to turn down! It’s not necessarily about volume as much as it is an offensive, ear piercing sound. Crank up the big breathers, use the guitar volume, and enjoy...everybody’s happy.
    When the band sounds thin, it’s still loud. Fatten with real amps and power, (bass players are just as guilty-showing up with these little 1x12 boxes) and the place loves it!

Trelwheen likes this.
  13. Lo-Tek

Lo-Tek Well-Known Member

Right? I guess Mike Campbell (among others) missed the "low watt amps are a joke" memo.

14. trax1139

trax1139 Well-Known Member

I didn’t see any preamp distortion (MV) knobs on either of those Fenders. He’s got it right!
    Master volumes ruin everything...

15. ricksdisconnected

how does that ruin everything?

Ray Baker, Trelwheen and Old Punker like this.
  16. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

I'm so glad to not be neighbors with most of you. More low-watt amps for me!

GregM, Old Punker and Jethro Rocker like this.
  17. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I guess if one's forte is old school stuff.
    I prefer MV for a number of reasons. Reasonable volume levels at shows, more modern sound, more gain...

18. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Yes, that is my feeling exactly. :agreed:

My SC20H sounds great at reasonable volumes, maybe not 'bedroom' levels but at least at basement levels. I had wanted a Marshall JCM 800 (2203) type amp for a long time but I didn't think 100W was a good match for home use. When I heard about the Studio amps I had to pull the trigger.

19. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

@ibmorjamn I've heard various opinions on the usefulness of a 4x12 in a home setting and it sounds like you're not using yours. Do you think they are 'too much' for home use, or do they sound better than a 1x12 or 2x12 at home volume?

ricksdisconnected likes this.
  20. pentatonicwanker

pentatonicwanker Member

Can't agree more. Such an ass-backwards way of thinking. Time moves on whether you chose to or not.

ricksdisconnected and Old Punker like this.