The time has come-AxeFx or Kemper Profiler?

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by Australian, Nov 23, 2014.

1. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

bTW- I was talking to a guitarist today, and he's ordered the Line 6 Helix.
    This will be interesting. It looks more intuitive and comprehensive than the AX8 even.
    I've watched the Chappers video on it, and it looks like it might complete the Kemper-Axe Fx-Helix trinity".

2. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

^
    Sure does.

But, as much as I like certain L6 products, I'm gonna pass on owning any.
    I don't feel like getting stuck in their little Line 6 world and feeling owned by them.
    Paying for upgrades, stupid monkeys, and plastic keys, proprietary this & that... dumb.

The Fractal world is and feels more open source.

3. rick16v

rick16v Well-Known Member

My mates Helix has been delayed, he had it on preorder from Andertons. I'll get a review and some clips done once it arrives. Expensive but I think it might be amazing?

4. Australian

Yeah. It brings back memories. I bough the different packs for the XT Live. and it was a pita.

5. Australian

Guthrie:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M9svs_uJTP8[/ame]

6. Dmann

Dmann Well-Known Member

Everything I've seen and heard makes it seem like a cool product, however after owning an Axe FX II for 2 and 1/2 years, it's hard to like something that isn't in the same league, although a lot of people wish it was and are trying really hard to convince themselves......

From the demo's, and I've seen/heard pretty much all of them, to me it seems like there is only one "sound," as the grain of the overdrive and distortion sounds the same with all the amp models to me, and the clean just sounds sterile and solid state (compared to the Axe FX II), BUT.... I've yet to hear it in person "live" or be the one tweaking...... so,

I'm not saying it's garbage, don't get me wrong, and it will be amazing for the millions that shop at guitar center and the like stores where they can finance as Fractal does not stock retail stores and does not finance/lease, so this makes the Helix more available to the masses.

I still plan on picking one up at my local L&M and at the least messing with it and returning it before the 30 days. I'm curious to hear it first with my Atomic CLR active wedges and then through one of my full stacks with a real tube power section, and finally direct into my Behringer X32 out the band PA FOH, and see how it stacks up in a band mix, cause that, IMO is what really matters.

7. Australian

I know two people who bought Helix and sold it shortly afterwards. Interesting. :hmm:

8. Frodebro

Frodebro Well-Known Member

There was a ton of hype surrounding the Helix prior to its release, it's not surprising that many people are finding that it doesn't quite live up to it.

9. rick16v

Really? My mate loves his! I had a go and it was very good on first impressions. I've not seen too many negative reviews yet.

10. Frodebro

Plenty of people love them, but there are also a lot of people that bought them sight unseen and wound up returning them right away. Perhaps "not living up to the hype" was a poor choice of words. Let's try this: Some people set their expectations really high prior to the release and wound up not feeling as warm and fuzzy once they actually had one in front of them.

11. Australian

What I got from one guy who sold his within a week, was that he preferred his amps which are Marshalls, and other.
    To me this means that it wasn't good enough in the classic tone area to justify keeping it to replace some of his amps-which was his intention.

12. crossroadsnyc

crossroadsnyc Senior Moderator Staff Member

Line 6 has always struggled w/the Marshall models more than others. I like their products, but there's always a honeymoon phase where you find yourself really enjoying it, and before long it's collecting dust. I'm interested in the Helix, but my experience leads me to believe they're probably still a bit behind Axe-FX / Kemper.

13. Ghostman

Ghostman Well-Known Member

The Axe-FX and Kempers have established themselves as the standard in modeling. It will be a long while before they are removed as reigning supreme.

14. zachman

zachman Well-Known Member

As one of the relatively few guys who actually own and use the stuff that the modelers are attempting to emulate, and I know it's not what you meant-- but it made me think-- the REAL gear is clearly what still reigns supreme, and while the modelers are definitely better nowadays, they are still merely attempting to emulate the true giants, and fall short by comparison, imo.

That said the Axe and the Kemper are cool tools, and serve as a serious alternative for those who have budget constraints which don't allow them to truly go for the gusto.

15. HeHasTheJazzHands

HeHasTheJazzHands Well-Known Member

In forums, yeah.

Mainstream, though, people will still think of Line 6 as the de-facto modeler company.

16. Frodebro

Kinda like McDonald's would be considered 'the' cheeseburger place. :hmm:

17. wakjob

wakjob Well-Known Member

I, and many other players have come to like the modeled 'interpretations' more than the real deals.

I'm finding a lot of the amp models in digital units have corrected/fixed the dislikes and shortcomings of certain amps.

Also, I personally like the clipping structure of digital modeling more than that of a real 12ax7.
    Much more string to string clarity, less note smear with complex chords under high gain conditions.

18. Frodebro

I've pretty much crossed over to The Dark Side as well, which is something I never expected. I like the fact that I can use just one rig to cover everything that I do, and it's easily transportable in the trunk of my car.

19. rick16v

I have a 100w Rockerverb mkIII, two 2X12 Cabs, and a very nice pedal board (if I do say so myself). I have a range of effects and I've put a lot of time into choosing my pedals and sculpting my sounds. My mate came round with a helix and a Line 6 monitor. His rig was so much more portable, versatile and flexible than mine. It didn't sound quite as organic and natural, but the noise floor was a lot lower and he could dial as many sounds he wanted. It was good you know.

20. Grogshla

Grogshla Active Member

kempler is good but it will never be as good as a real Marshall amp.