The Silver Jubilee Cult

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Australian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

headcrash likes this.
  2. Bemis

Bemis New Member

Is it sacrilegious to want a black Jubilee? Sweetwater is carrying the reissue in black/silver. That would be so easy to sneak past the GF. That said, she might not notice any new amp so it puts me on the fence and I could easily go either way.

How much headroom does the jubilee have in terms of its cleans? Can I shake the house with a clean tone before she starts breaking up?

3. jo_gel

jo_gel Member

Bemis likes this.
  4. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

I wouldn't say no to a Jube or 2:hmm:

In the jubilee year,1987, I got to meet Jim Marshall at a local music trade fair, where Marshall had 2 separate stalls.

The upstairs one was just to show case the NEW Jubilee range.

They were fantastic looking, but a far off dream to a broke 19 year old.

Whilst I was drooling over these marvelous amps, a guy came up and said, "Would you like to meet Jim?"

Well fuck yeah! I said "where is he?" To which he replied, "Over there, behind the counter"

I got to be honest, I almost pissed myself laughing.
    With a huge name like his, I couldn't believe how short he was.:wow:

However, he was a very cool and humble man, that I'm proud I can say I got to meet.

Last edited: Apr 9, 2020
  5. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

The black is sharp, I gotta agree. Depends which model? I have a 50 watt 2x12 amd the mini amd I would say no wall shaking cleans. Possibly tho with the 100 head and a 4x12 I would think. I dont play loud cleans, just cleanish at best. With the shared gain, I need to go from cleanish to dirty so the gain is higher.

6. Bemis

Bemis New Member

Yeah, cleanish is as better way to phrase it. I don't mind if it gets dirty as I dig in. I'm looking at the 100 watt head. I have 2 of the 4x12 cabs, so I can move quite a bit of air. I'm currently running a JVM205H, so a 50 watt through those. Right when the snare drum starts to rattle, she starts breaking up a bit. Puts a huge grin on my face!

7. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Unlike many modern amps with the Jubilee the power amp still contributes, which is one of the things that makes the amp a good one, in my opinion. More dynamic response is possible if you want it. Proof of this is how you can get noticeable different response on the 2525 by using different power tube types. With KT66s its cleaner, at louder volume settings. (If I recall Slash used KT88s in his clean side Jubilee in one of his live rigs)

I understand that tube differences are more subtle with the 2555x (probably not cranking it as much), which allows different tube types with a rebias, but is still there. Of course with a 100 watt Jubilee getting loud cleans should not be a problem by just going easier on the input gain and output master. My 50 watt can get loud cleans this way.

El Gringo, Jethro Rocker and Bemis like this.
  8. Kinkless Tetrode

The shared gain has never been problem for me. What works for the clean channel also works for lead channel in my case as well.

I guess if you want pristine cleans on the clean channel with utter filth on the overdrive channel, or if you want light overdrive on the overdrive channel with smokey cleans on the clean channel, it could be a problem, though.

The Jubilee does clean up some on the overdrive channel by rolling off the guitar volume depending on how you set it up and what you want. I will often play it this way in gig situation.

Mitchell Pearrow and El Gringo like this.
  9. Bemis

Bemis New Member

This isn't helping my GAS. Pushing me more and more toward a purchase! The more dynamic response the better for my application. Thanks for the information.

10. mad5066

mad5066 Active Member

How'd KT66s sound in the 2525h mini jub? May have to try them out.

Bemis likes this.
  11. Jethro Rocker

Jethro Rocker Well-Known Member Premium Member

Yes it does work reasonably well. I like filth on my lead channel so gain goes up. One thjng I do on cleanish channel is run chorus amd verb through the loop but turn that patch up on the G3n effects pedal. So that means I can turn down guitar volume yet still get enough volume on the clean channel. Which makes it cleaner. Live cleanish is plenty good enough for the few times I use it.
    Having the Lead channel volume helps too of course.

Kinkless Tetrode and Bemis like this.
  12. bad565ss

bad565ss Well-Known Member

A guy near me has 2 of the 100 watt reissues for sale new in the boxes for $1500 each.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  13. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Oh yes you can , in fact you can have it peeling the paint off your walls . Seriously does cleans really well and really loud also .

Bemis likes this.
  14. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

That's a good price

Mitchell Pearrow and Bemis like this.
  15. Bemis

Bemis New Member

I am liking what I am reading!!! Don't get me wrong, I love a dirty amp that snarls when I feed it humbuckers but paint peeling cleans is just plain fun!

Last edited: Apr 10, 2020
    El Gringo likes this.
  16. Kinkless Tetrode

The clean had more sparkle, and the overdrive channel was less modern and more vintage.

To get them to fit you need to remove the bear trap tube retainers and notch the mounting strip for the back plate. That was for the Gold Lions, the shugs may not fit at all? I didn't try 5881s, but original spec 5881s might be an alternative if you didn't want to notch the mounting strip.

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum

18. mad5066

mad5066 Active Member

Thanks for your reply, seems like a pain in the ass to do. Yeah I was only considering the gold lions or tungsols of that one. I'm happy with the el34b's but can't help but tinker.

19. Bemis

Bemis New Member

I climbed down a rabbit hole last night looking at speakers to go with a 100 watt Jubilee. That is a deep hole!! So many options and even more opinions. I'm running a 1960a and a 1960b with stock made in China G12T-75s. *Almost* all the opinions conclude those stink for a Jubilee. Pure swap to V30 doesn't cut it for some and some love it. I've been kicking around the idea of mixing V30s and a G12H30 but I wish I could play that before committing. I suppose I could always do one cab for now and decide where to go from there.

marco_giampa23 likes this.
  20. Kinkless Tetrode

Well I've been in and out that Rabbit Hole several times. Sorry to tell you this based on your above post, but my experience is that the V30 is the mate for the Silver Jubilee, as long as they are broke in. The tight lows, the boosted upper mids, and the rolled off high treble of the V30 is what the SJ is voiced around. The Mesa version (warmer) or the Marshall version (brighter) are preferred to the standard China version. All things that you read about Vintage 30s being harsh and spikey are not that manifest with the SJ as long as they are not brand new.

My SJ cab had G12T75s. My 50 watt Jube just didn't have the same vocal mids like with V30s, with the 75s in a 4x12.

G12M Greenback will work in a closed back cab. I think they have a bit too much grit with the Jubilee, but I like them with other Marshalls. I haven't tried the SJ with Creambacks but that might be good.

They seem to work okay with most G12-65s or the very early G12T75s that sound much like G12-65s.

I would be a bit afraid of too much bass and too much treble with a G12H involved given the Jubilee voicing. I have not played the Jubilee with a G12H-V30 mix though.

Bemis likes this.