The Silver Jubilee Cult

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Australian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. RickyLee

RickyLee Well-Known Member VIP Member

Yeah, that schematic is shown with the relay coil in the Lead channel/mode state.

Steve Grindrod came up with a quite interesting and very cool circuit with the Jubilee. He is getting a somewhat channel switching function using the same 12AX7 assignments. It uses the same tone stack, that is why I always just consider it modes. The 2205/2210 is a true channel switcher in the sense I think of them.

I have been considering for many years now, on taking my hand wired 2555 Clone and doing something extra with it lol. I already have a switchable "Extra Gear" in it that I came up with. I will not elaborate on that any more as it still needs tweaking and refinement lol. A gimmick you could say, that I dreamed would bring me fame and fortune.

:D

:lol:

Yeah, right.

Anyways, I am considering adding a separate gain control for the Rhythm channel. It has been done before and there is a web page out there somewhere on it. It just adds in the extra gain pot via a relay coil. But then, it does alter or load down the Lead channel very slightly. Being I have this hand wired Clone besides my '87 Silver 2555 & '89 Black 2550 to compare to, I have considered doing something very cool with the 2555 Clone. Either separating/isolating the two modes/channels and making the Rhythm channel more Plexi'ish. Or making a dual Lead channel setup. Only bummer is my chassis is a small box/short chassis. As well as the head box. So I will not have room for many extra controls.

Thought of combining the Jube and 2205 in a build as well. Would be cool to have a Jubilee with a real reverb circuit!

And speaking of the 2205 Split channel, I have two from 1988. One is modified and hacked up pretty good from my younger learning days lol. Other is bone stock. But I have always thought the 2205 Boost channel was a much better soloing/liquid singing sustain platform, and I prefer it for that over my Jubes. But then for rhythm and medium crunch stuff, the Jube wins hands down.

The later version II Split Channels are to my ears, brighter and bolder than a Jube. But then more low end thunder and whip ass chunk than a Jube. And the Split Channels might do the best mid scooped tone out of any of my amps . . . . that is, on their own without adding an EQ pedal in front or via loop. The 2205/2210 amps start out with a sizzling .47uF first stage cathode bypass cap. Low value coupler. But then they start adding in the low end big time in the next stages with some crazy plate/cathode stuff on 2nd stage.

I am wondering if this is the first production amp to use solid state clipping? The first version Split Channels have a Jose style clipper on the Boost channel volume.

Speaking of the hated early Split Channels, is there anyone out there with a first year 1982 or that Anniversary model same year, they would want to trade for a very clean al original 1988 2205? I had a lemon '83 4210 many years ago, but have always wanted to get another early one just for collectors sake. I have two identical '88's, so could part with one lol.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2020
  2. JacksonCharvelAddict

JacksonCharvelAddict Well-Known Member

That sounds awesome dude. I agree that the 2205/2210 sounds amazing for leads. I have been tempted to try and mod my Jube reissue to have a seperate gain control for the clean channel. So far I haven't done any mods to the 2555x because at the end of the day I can operate it as a channel switcher if I use a clean boost upfront for a little help with the leads.

3. usednabused

usednabused Active Member

cool photos of slash rockin re-ish!

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  4. usednabused

...to my ear its some sort of proprietary compression...the "squish" it creates is addicting...

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  5. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Man if you guys would get into sound processing it would completely blow your minds.
    A couple of knobs on a Jubilee aint nothing.

6. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar New Member

Silver Jubilee crew checking in.

I've had my Ceriatone 2250 for about 7 years and it's probably been on stage with me at least 275~300 times playing out most weekends. A buddy of mine from the harmony central forum "MadRyan" built it for someone else originally using a ClassicTone JTM45 output transformer as the original owner liked the sound of that better than the 50w JCM800 style.

It's a PROPER rock and roll workhorse machine that sits exceptionally well in all but the loudest of the loud outdoor venues and has proven to be amazingly competent as a cover band amp doing 70's, 80's, 90's and 2000's everything from pop country stuff all the way up to Metallica, Iron Maiden, Rage Against The Machine, etc. A good overdrive boost can carry this amp all the way to modern metal.

Bang for buck with this thing is just off the charts IMO.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

usednabused and headcrash like this.
  7. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Not when they were GREAT !

Mitchell Pearrow and Kelia like this.
  8. JacksonCharvelAddict

That video sounds more like a 2205/2210 than a Jubilee. Clips can be deceiving though.

El Gringo and ken361 like this.
  9. FastRedPonyCar

FastRedPonyCar New Member

headcrash likes this.
  10. JacksonCharvelAddict

Slash has been using the reissues on tour with GNR. He has some of his old slash sigs in the rack too. Last I saw he was running 6 of them. I think three for clean and 3 for dirt. Gary Holt was running three into mode 4 cabs and blew back the fans when. I saw Slayer last May.

11. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Active Member

I just bought the sv20h and kinda feel like i should have bought the mini jube. Regardless of which one i buy there will be a hole in my heart haha. But now i need to save up for the mini jube. the only problem is that I would want to be able to footswitch between them, but only use one cab, any ideas how i could do this? Not like instant mid song switching but hitting two footswitches between songs or while im practicing is what i want, i dont want to spend the extra grand for the mini jube cab (well i do i just find it unneccesary) and run everything through the sv212.

12. marco_giampa23

He is mostly using originals because he has way too many but I have seen him use AFD100s and JCM800 reissues, his tech has said that he rotates in reissues but i havnt seen any pics of the reissues in his live rig

13. marco_giampa23

I have found the radial switcher but its abit expensive

14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I saw a more recent vid he had the reissues and the old ones too

marco_giampa23 likes this.
  15. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

Hey Ponycar, and welcome here. I think I saw some of your amp reveiews on youtube, but can't remember which.

Nice tone on this, I think, when using PAF style low output brudge humbuckers, you can get a quite Slash-esque nasal and gnarly tone. Any boost used, expecially towards the second half of the clip?

16. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

Yes, clips can be deceiving and who knows how he had the eq set. The amp doesn't sound bad at all but I didn't hear it as being much like my original 50 watt. My original sounds much warmer and richer.

JacksonCharvelAddict and ken361 like this.
  17. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I have the Radial ABY pedal and it works great . I use it to run together both of my 2555X's , but you can also use it to footswitch between one amp to the other . The one thing I am not certain about would be how to run 2 amps into one speaker cabinet ?

18. marco_giampa23

There is another pedal, the radial headbone, which has a guitar in, speaker out, and a two amp outs and two speaker ins from the amps. Its basically putting the 2 amps in their own seperate loops. its what I want but its like 260 bucks

El Gringo likes this.
  19. usednabused

there is a box that lets you channel switch btw heads, I cant remember the name but its out there on youtube...u just have to poke around

El Gringo likes this.
  20. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

It's the Radial Headbone like Marco mentioned
    https://www.radialeng.com/product/headbone-vt

usednabused and marco_giampa23 like this.