The Silver Jubilee Cult

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Australian, Feb 24, 2019.

1. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

Well, what is woody in a bad way for reference?

Angus Rhoads likes this.
  2. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Haha!!.......deleted the in a good way !

3. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

I like and agree with your comment about the lack of ear fatigue . I feel the same way and don't realize the amount of volume pumping thru the speakers .

4. Kelia

Kelia Well-Known Member

Well thank you !!

Totally an awesome amp !

El Gringo likes this.
  5. Angus Rhoads

Angus Rhoads Well-Known Member

Woody AND touch sensitive? That could get messy in a hurry...

JacksonCharvelAddict likes this.
  6. mickeydg5

mickeydg5 Well-Known Member

You know I am not a professional player but I consider woody (no over the top high end) and touch sensitive two postivie things.
    Maybe I expect too much from my playing and sound.

7. headcrash

headcrash Active Member

I would describe woody with kind of a "middly warmth". The mid knob of the EQ network on the Jubilee kinda "goes to eleven", and I find, those "woody mids" set in at around 6.5 or 7 on the middle knob. With those woody mids I also hear some EvH Plexiness, but rather the shape of the frequency curve than the harmonics or raspyness of the distortion.
    So the fact that the mids kan be dialed up to maybe 20 compared to the standard Marshall EQ network, is one of the things what sets the Jubilee apart from, say, a 2203.

Lack of ear fatigue in my opinion comes from the EQ shaping of treble and upper mid content. The Jubilee has a rather smooth treble roll off compared to the 2203, for example. IIRC, the Jubilee was often compared to or advertised as kind of a response to a Soldano SLO (which came out in 1987 as well, so this might not be true...:hmm:). However, it sure is more pleasing to the ear, than a 2203, for example, but still cuts well.

8. stephan_l

stephan_l New Member

Nice explanation. "Middly warm" is woody, jep, for me too :)

I just bought myself a "JCM800", the mini version, and my first thought on the first chord ( :eek: ) was, wow, that sounds crisp with much highend. But in no way bad for my ears (4x12 TV with old G12M). To me they are total different animals. Thats b/c you need both :dude:

Last edited: Sep 15, 2019
    mickeydg5 likes this.
  9. El Gringo

El Gringo Well-Known Member

Woody , of course plays guitar with the Rolling Stones (Ron Wood ) ( big Stones fan )

WellBurnTheSky and ken361 like this.
  10. sgmarshall

sgmarshall Member

I used my reissue this weekend at an outdoor gig. I got to put the master on 5 and it sounded glorious. I normally do these with my jvm, but my footswitch died and the one I ordered is on back order. I felt that “Kerrang” for the first time in a while. Don’t get that often enough.

Force235 and JCarno like this.
  11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

anyone roll any preamp tubes? I find the combo kinda bassy at times going to try a Tungsol in the v1. Most have heads though hear I see.

12. john hammond

john hammond Well-Known Member

i had a look at the power transformer yesterday for one of these.
    0-360vac @ .5 amp, that's the meatiest power transformer I've ever seen for any marshall amplifier.
    the 66' plexi had a big power transformer ( i think there were actually three of them in the 45/100 lifespan, different sizes ), but it was centre tapped and by virtue of design , had to be larger for the same given power output.
    What does this mean for tone? well it gives the amp designers more options..what they did with all this power, i don't know.

Kelia likes this.
  13. Force235

Force235 Well-Known Member

Just trying to capture the tone of the big brother, the 50 and 100 watt versions.

14. Kookaburra

Kookaburra Member

The amp, the guitars, oh man, gorgeous!

nix_gibby likes this.
  15. nix_gibby

nix_gibby Active Member

Thanks man!!

16. lespaul339

lespaul339 Well-Known Member

I want a Jubilee. I've owned a 2203X before. That was a great amp but very grainy/harsh sounding. Even when I dialed back settings I always thought the sound was grainy.

The jubilee has a lot warmer sound that I find more pleasing to my ears. I would love to compare it to my JTM 45. I love my JTM 45 for it's nice woody tone. I bet the two combined would be tonal heaven.

Kookaburra likes this.
  17. nix_gibby

nix_gibby Active Member

I prefer Jubilee too, it sounds much fatter than 2203x, but still has that Marshall grind and punch and "in your face" sound. The best Marshall for me.

JacksonCharvelAddict and ken361 like this.
  18. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

The other day while was driving I heard a Wishbone Ash song. I recalled Steve Grindrod, the designer of the 87 Jubilee circuit, said he would run it by one of the guitarists from WA Andy Powell to get the voicing he wanted.

When they were playing the solos at the end of the song (I don't know the song title and I could not find a youtube of that exact song unless it didn't sound the same on YT.) I was thinking wow Grindrod sure nailed that WA tone with the Jube's lead voicing.

I did a little research thinking maybe they were using some plexis or something. Since I think the song I heard was from the early 70s it could not have been a SJ. Turns out it was probably not even a Marshall. Powell says that the early studio recordings were done with Tweed Fenders, a bassman and a Tremolux, at full volume and one of his Flying Vs. The other guitarist, Ted Turner, played strats. Of course Tweed Fenders and Marshalls are kissing cousins. Live WA was noted for using Matt Amps/Orange.

19. usednabused

usednabused Active Member

I love the original but a reissue of the 2553 would be great! IMG_1514.JPG

20. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Its probably the best factory “modded” 800 I’ve used.