The Seventy/80 is Celestion’s best speaker

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Ok that was a click bait thread title but I did return to the G12P-80 in my DSL40C...

When I first got my DSL40C I was really impressed, I consciously said to myself "leave it alone, it sounds pretty good" but I've been on a speaker kick and quickly picked up a M65 Creamback. I really dug the Creamback, much darker than the 70/80 but when pushed had a GB flavor to the speaker breakup. I've read a lot of positive comments on the M65 in the DSL40C and decided to rock it.

I neglected speakers since I started played 20 years ago, I thought a speaker was a speaker and never really delved into that rabbit hole. I've come to realize that the speaker is one of the MOST important components in a rig and thus now trying to catch up and experiment with speakers. I dug the Creamback but prior to snagging the CB I was going to get a Scumback H55 and now I still REALLY want to try one.

So I pulled the Creamback to set aside to sell towards a Scumback and out the 70/80 back in... I couldn't believe how much more I liked the 70/80 in the DSL, imo it sounded so much better. I know I am the minority but I REALLY like the 70/80, it is a very lively speaker to my ears. It sounds almost 3D, notes filling to room, bass setting a solid foundation for all the other notes to stand on and the brightness allows the higher notes to jump out into the air. I thought maybe I was just experiencing excitement due to a change in sound so I put the CB in just to compare again... Nope the 70/80 sounds much more lively to my ears, the CB sounding dark and flat in a way. I return to the 70/80 and get lost in my playing, the 3d sound lifting me away from reality into a world of electric notes and chords.

With that said I think I know a big part in why I dig the 70/80 so much, my hearing has to be compromised as I love more treble. I often find myself no matter the amp turning the treble and presence up fairly high, sometimes diming one of them. I imagine in this situation the intense brightness of the 70/80 is appealing to my ears, one of the biggest gripes I read about the 70/80.

I wished it had a stronger mid character as it sounds a little scooped to my ears but it isn't enough to bother me. I'd say so far out of the speakers I've played the 70/80 is probably my favorite (besides vintage GBs). I can see it being bright to some but I can't see all the hate that it receives, I think it's a very musical, lively and 3d sounding speaker that is excellent for the guitar's sound.

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ok that was a click bait thread title but I did return to the G12P-80 in my DSL40C...

When I first got my DSL40C I was really impressed, I consciously said to myself "leave it alone, it sounds pretty good" but I've been on a speaker kick and quickly picked up a M65 Creamback. I really dug the Creamback, much darker than the 70/80 but when pushed had a GB flavor to the speaker breakup. I've read a lot of positive comments on the M65 in the DSL40C and decided to rock it.

I neglected speakers since I started played 20 years ago, I thought a speaker was a speaker and never really delved into that rabbit hole. I've come to realize that the speaker is one of the MOST important components in a rig and thus now trying to catch up and experiment with speakers. I dug the Creamback but prior to snagging the CB I was going to get a Scumback H55 and now I still REALLY want to try one.

So I pulled the Creamback to set aside to sell towards a Scumback and out the 70/80 back in... I couldn't believe how much more I liked the 70/80 in the DSL, imo it sounded so much better. I know I am the minority but I REALLY like the 70/80, it is a very lively speaker to my ears. It sounds almost 3D, notes filling to room, bass setting a solid foundation for all the other notes to stand on and the brightness allows the higher notes to jump out into the air. I thought maybe I was just experiencing excitement due to a change in sound so I put the CB in just to compare again... Nope the 70/80 sounds much more lively to my ears, the CB sounding dark and flat in a way. I return to the 70/80 and get lost in my playing, the 3d sound lifting me away from reality into a world of electric notes and chords.

With that said I think I know a big part in why I dig the 70/80 so much, my hearing has to be compromised as I love more treble. I often find myself no matter the amp turning the treble and presence up fairly high, sometimes diming one of them. I imagine in this situation the intense brightness of the 70/80 is appealing to my ears, one of the biggest gripes I read about the 70/80.

I wished it had a stronger mid character as it sounds a little scooped to my ears but it isn't enough to bother me. I'd say so far out of the speakers I've played the 70/80 is probably my favorite (besides vintage GBs). I can see it being bright to some but I can't see all the hate that it receives, I think it's a very musical, lively and 3d sounding speaker that is excellent for the guitar's sound.
OK, you've gone off the rails... :D
I ran stock 70/80s in my DSL20 cabs for a while.
They are better the louder they get, IMO.
Did some side-by-side comparisons with a few different speakers.
Judged by my son & my X, they just didn't hold up to the A/B/C test from the layperson's perspective.
It's all subjective - if they're working for you, rock 'em!

PelliX

Reaction score
I've come to realize that the speaker is one of the MOST important components in a rig

Yup, just think about it; crappy amp with good speakers sounds "OK", good amp with crappy speakers sounds crap. I can't say I agree with your choice (yup, digging the Creamback in my DSL combo), but if you ever want another 70/80 - you pay the shipping, it's yours. :p

Dogs of Doom

~~~ Moderator ~~~
Staff Member
Reaction score
I guess it depends on how you do your sound...

IIRC, Micky said that they sound really good in Fender amp's. I think he was talking about combos...

So... if you're pushing a Jimi kind of tone, which could be Fender'ish, then I could see that running a pretty clean tone (like Jimi), they might excel.

To me, they sound dull in the midrange, they lack the British bite, that Celestion are famous for. But, then, some of that is also dependent on what you're pushing through them. I tried them w/ a JVM w/ bite...

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Makes sense to me with that amp between those 2 choices. Seventy 80 has a little higher wattage rating and is a tad more efficient. The Creamback M65 should compress more pushed.

Gunner64

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hated them in an open back cab, or open back combo.

But...I came across a closed back Randall 2x12 at the pawn shop for $40 about a week ago... Birch ply, and two 70/80s.

I bought it thinking I'd ditch the 70/80s and throw some v30s in there to pair with my mini rectifier. Huh..surprise! They're so much better in a sealed cab it's not even funny.. better projection of course, but not as woofy in the lows which was why I didn't like the 70/80 in my 40c...just sounded a bit loose.

Imo they are a bad match for a combo or open back situation, and question why manufacturers use them In that scenario, cost efficiency I guess.

This cab changed my mind about 70/80s. I wouldn't say The best Celestion ever lol. But I don't completely hate them anymore.

Bargain cab. No complaints.

Matthews Guitars

Reaction score
I also say that a 70/80 sounds good in classic Fender combos. If you can't find original Jensens or Oxfords, stick in some P80s or 70/80s (they are the same speaker) and you'll like it.

But all I want to do when playing a Marshall with 70/80s is....use different speakers. I'm firmly in the Greenback camp when it comes to Marshalls.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Yeah don't get me wrong, I don't actually think they are Celestion’s best speaker 😆 but I do really enjoy it. I am going to pull the trigger on a Scumback H55 soon, it was my first choice but I found a really good deal on the Creamback nearby. My curiosity won't be satisfied until I try the Scumback and then next on my list is the H75 Creamback.

I'm kinda curious if possibly the Creamback isn't broken in "enough". The guy I bought it from said he didn't think they were even broken in, he ran a 20w head into it at moderate volume and I've mostly be playing moderate volumes, maybe 2 or 3 times a week at gig volume. I say this because to my ears the 70/80 sounds way more alive, punchy, bold and tight. They definitely have a "hole" in the mid range that really takes away from the classic Celestion sound but the depth and richness I am hearing has me puzzled considering what MANY complain about with these speakers .... or my hearing is really screwed up, which very well maybe true 😄. But I can't imagine breaking it could make THAT much difference but maybe I'm wrong, I'm new to the speaker gambit. I want the Creamback to be this rich and alive, I even put it back in a 3rd time and it's just not my imagination unfortunately. I almost forgot I did have an 8ohm M65 that was several years old and the PO said he gigged them, they were very broken in according to him... It sounded darker but that's about it, I chalked it up to the impedance.

OK, you've gone off the rails... :D
I ran stock 70/80s in my DSL20 cabs for a while.
They are better the louder they get, IMO.
Did some side-by-side comparisons with a few different speakers.
Judged by my son & my X, they just didn't hold up to the A/B/C test from the layperson's perspective.
It's all subjective - if they're working for you, rock 'em!
I definitely feel like I'm crazy or have weird ass hearing because the 70/80 vs my M65 CB the 70/80 sounds much richer/3d, more punchy and bolder/tighter low end 🤷‍♂️

Maybe it's an exceptionally good sounding one? 🤷‍♂️
Yup, just think about it; crappy amp with good speakers sounds "OK", good amp with crappy speakers sounds crap. I can't say I agree with your choice (yup, digging the Creamback in my DSL combo), but if you ever want another 70/80 - you pay the shipping, it's yours. :p
I will definitely take you up on that! 😄

I really wish the Creamback sounded as rich to my ears! The Creamback still sounds great in the DSL 🔥
I guess it depends on how you do your sound...

IIRC, Micky said that they sound really good in Fender amp's. I think he was talking about combos...

So... if you're pushing a Jimi kind of tone, which could be Fender'ish, then I could see that running a pretty clean tone (like Jimi), they might excel.

To me, they sound dull in the midrange, they lack the British bite, that Celestion are famous for. But, then, some of that is also dependent on what you're pushing through them. I tried them w/ a JVM w/ bite...
I agree the mid range is imo it's biggest weaknesses, I tend to like my mids dialed back but it definitely has a "hole" to my ears.

Ironically I do think the Creamback excels when clean, the 70/80 can be a bit thin with the missing mid range but that also lends into that Fender quality.

I'm still not satisfied but just wanted to share my rather rare experience with the 70/80.
I hated them in an open back cab, or open back combo.

But...I came across a closed back Randall 2x12 at the pawn shop for $40 about a week ago... Birch ply, and two 70/80s.

I bought it thinking I'd ditch the 70/80s and throw some v30s in there to pair with my mini rectifier. Huh..surprise! They're so much better in a sealed cab it's not even funny.. better projection of course, but not as woofy in the lows which was why I didn't like the 70/80 in my 40c...just sounded a bit loose.

Imo they are a bad match for a combo or open back situation, and question why manufacturers use them In that scenario, cost efficiency I guess.

This cab changed my mind about 70/80s. I wouldn't say The best Celestion ever lol. But I don't completely hate them anymore.

Bargain cab. No complaints.
I find that interesting as I find the 70/80 tighter and bolder in the lows than my Creamback, I think that's one of my favorites qualities in it. It sounds bigger in the low end with a nice punch that I'm not entirely experiencing with the Creamback. It makes me wonder about my hearing or my CB because the 70/80 doesn't sound anywhere near harsh to my ears yet that seems to be the most common complaint. It can sound thin when clean but given some drive it sounds real rich, 3d and punchy. That's the best way for me to translate what my ears are hearing but it seems they maybe questionable considering my opinion is rather opposite than the norm.

I REALLY want to load my 4x12 and see what kind of experience that is. It sounds like it could be pretty cool with your testimony of them in a closed back cab.
I also say that a 70/80 sounds good in classic Fender combos. If you can't find original Jensens or Oxfords, stick in some P80s or 70/80s (they are the same speaker) and you'll like it.

But all I want to do when playing a Marshall with 70/80s is....use different speakers. I'm firmly in the Greenback camp when it comes to Marshalls.
Yeah I can definitely see how they could compliment a Fender, I didn't think of that until the replies here.

I definitely favor GBs and that's really what I'm looking to achieve. I look forward to picking up a Scumback H55 next.

Ken Ops

Reaction score
Not a fan, myself. But if you like ‘em, you’re not wrong. It’s all subjective - couldn’t be any other way, of course.

I‘ve found different amps suit different speakers, but as I don’t own a DSL, can’t speak on that really.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
I can see the dislike since it really doesn't have any of that classic Celestion sound or character. I wouldn't use it to pursue/chase any famous tones per se but yeah I dig it oddly.

Hearing it just as a speaker in general I think it sounds good, nothing horrible about it to my ears and it has a pretty distinct character. If you are expecting classic/vintage Celestion then yeah it misses the mark pretty far, odd choice for a Marshall indeed.

I think my Fuzz and Univibe sound great thru this speaker. Comparing the Univibe on both the Creamback and the 70/80 the 70/80 brings out much more of the throb and 3D quality of the effect. The fuzz sounds tighter and more focused, the CB gets abit fat bloated with fuzz in comparison.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying it's better than the Creamback, the CB definitely possess the Celestion/GB vibe which to me is the standard of guitar speaker tone but the 70/80 does have it's own strengths and imo much more than a throw away speaker.

Trumpet Rider

Reaction score
I used to have a Traynor YVC80 2x12 combo that came with 70/80s. It was a good sounding amp overall. The cleans were excellent, full and rich and thick and ballsy, and depending on EQing, as chimey as a nice Fender. The dirty channel tried to be Marshally, but missed the mark. It could do a good saturated lead tone but crunchy rhythm was not in its repertoire.
I swapped the 70/80s for a pair of V30s and it was a totally different beast. The cleans lost some of the lushness but the dirties got way better, a pretty good compromise for my needs at the time.

When I sold it I put the original speakers back in (the new owner loves it) and put the V30s into a big cabinet that sounds great with my JVM.

Once just for fun I put one of the 70/80s into a pos Crate combo amp. It was infinitely better than the Crate speaker and took that amp from junk to not so bad.

Last edited:

jmjck900

Reaction score
Bit late to reply.
What volume are you using seventy80 speaker at?
Mine sounds good at low volume. When I increase the volume the sound changes.
At full volume it sounds a bit ghastly.

Maggot Brain

Reaction score
Bit late to reply.
What volume are you using seventy80 speaker at?
Mine sounds good at low volume. When I increase the volume the sound changes.
At full volume it sounds a bit ghastly.
I actually noticed this recently, I had the 70/80 back in prior to picking up the Eminence Wizard and noticed at pushed volumes the 70/80s strengths started to fall apart, so I'm no crazy for noticing that.

I still like it, low volumes It's really tight and punchy, too scooped for the traditional Celestion sound but a nice sound to my ears.

Try a creamback G12H75 - very different than a G12M65 creamback !
very "open" and loud imo
Who likes them too ?
Yeah I still want to try a H75 Creamback! It's kinda annoying there is so many speakers to choose from! There has to be atleast 10 I really want to try!

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
I've got a Seventy/80 in a DSL20CR, and also a stock Mononprice 15. I always thought it sounded good in the Monoprice, but when I fired up both maps side-by-side yesterday, I noticed they both sound similar, in that they both have a gritty high-end. This is after using various DSL's through my Marshall 1960A cab (G12T-75's), and to my ear, the 75's are so much smoother. I also don't like the sound of Marshalls through V30's, I prefer the sweeter, less aggressive top-end of the 75's.

So now I'm wanting to replace the Seventy/80 with something else in the two combos. I've tried YouTube demos, but the reality of that is you're never going to get the true sound of being in front of the amp in a video.

People say the V-Type isn't a good speaker(?), so what speaker is going to make my DSL20 and Monoprice combos (which still, already sound good), the best that they can?

I prefer late 70's and 80's hard rock tones the most (like Thin Lizzy, Boston, Frampton, Journey, Priest, Maiden, etc).

Last edited:

fitz

Well-Known Yinzer
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a Seventy/80 in a DSL20CR, and also a stock Mononprice 15. I always thought it sounded good in the Monoprice, but when I fired up both maps side-by-side yesterday, I noticed they both sound similar, in that they both have a gritty high-end. This is after using various DSL's through my Marshall 1960A cab (G12T-75's), and to my ear, the 75's are so much smoother. I also don't like the sound of Marshalls through V30's, I prefer the sweeter, less aggressive top-end of the 75's.

So now I'm wanting to replace the Seventy/80 with something else in the two combos. I've tried YouTube demos, but the reality of that is you're never going to get the true sound of being in front of the amp in a video.

People say the V-Type isn't a good speaker, so what speaker is going to make my DSL20 and Monoprice combos (which still already sound good), the best that they can?

I prefer late 70's and 80's hard rock tones the most (like Thin Lizzy, Boston, Frampton, Journey, Priest, Maiden, etc).
For a while I had a V30/T-75 set in the MX112 cabs of my DSL20HR.
Recently switched to a pair of G12H-30 aniversary (no, not the 55hz GB's).
Nicer warmer cleans on green, smoother but still punchy high gain on red.
I like them better, but they are only a part of what I use in pedals and tubes to get the tone I'm always changing.
I hate to recommend speakers since everyone's tone goals are different - offered for consideration.
Don't like the V-Types with my DSL20 - love them with the 5002.

Vinsanitizer

K i T t E h !!
VIP Member
Reaction score
For a while I had a V30/T-75 set in the MX112 cabs of my DSL20HR.
Recently switched to a pair of G12H-30 aniversary (no, not the 55hz GB's).
Nicer warmer cleans on green, smoother but still punchy high gain on red.
I like them better, but they are only a part of what I use in pedals and tubes to get the tone I'm always changing.
I hate to recommend speakers since everyone's tone goals are different - offered for consideration.
Don't like the V-Types with my DSL20 - love them with the 5002.
Thanks fits. I really would also like either a size-matching (slightly wider is ok) 1x12, or 2x12 (better) Marshall cab for my SC20H and DSL20H (both heads are same size). But man, $1,200 for a 1936 cab is unacceptable. So what is your opinion on the MX cab(s)? Do they sound "as good as" the UK versions? Are they the same size as the UK versions?