The Recording thread

Discussion in 'The Tone Zone' started by blues_n_cues, Jan 1, 2015.

1. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

Anyone here using mixcraft to record , mainly needing tips on loading 3rd party VST’s

2. ibmorjamn

ibmorjamn Well-Known Member

I got it , simple . Download drag and drop the DLL file. Done

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    Dogs of Doom likes this.
  3. Australian

Australian Green Beret VIP Member

Has anyone here started using UAD Luna yet?
    I'm downloading it now and wondering how you guys found it to be?

4. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Anyone have thoughts on Focusrite Scarlett 2i2 bundle with Pro Tools First & Ableton Live for intro to home recording. I'm no pro so looking for something relatively simple to use but reasonable quaulity & features at a reasonable price.
    TIA.

5. Australian

wow...Game Changer!

6. 4Horseman

4Horseman Well-Known Member

I downloaded it when it first came out, opened the app and lost sound through my computer. Honestly, I haven't tried again, a little to busy for getitng into it right now. I'll need to watch some demos when I get the chance.

7. Dogs of Doom

Dogs of Doom Moderator Staff Member

I don't have any real world experience w/ either software, but, they are similar. I've been using Adobe Audition, since the days of Cool Edit Pro, which used to have the name numbered by year in the '90s. Seems like it was Cool Edit 95 or something when I 1st got it...

Focusrite makes decent interfaces. I have the Scarlett 18i20. For home recording it seems ample enough. The 2i2 should be similar, but only 2 channel, w/ less busing, etc.

Madfinger likes this.
  8. Australian

The zero latency is really good. You notice the difference when playing keyboards, and recording guitar. It feels like a real studio.
    Are you using Apollo as a Audio Interface?

9. 4Horseman

4Horseman Well-Known Member

No, I purchased the Arrow. I finally watched the training videos last night and updated Luna. It does look quite good, I'll dive into it this weekend. Glad you mentioned the low keyboard latency, I've been meaning to dust my old midi keyboard off for a while.

Australian likes this.
  10. Australian

Its something that I can see that I might change to as it progresses through the updates. At the moment I’m not keen on the auto save as I’m used to saving only when I am happy with the changes done in the project.

11. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Hey, guys.
    What you think of this one? Still trying to know better my new Yamaha HS5 monitors...........
    Les Paul + MIAB pedal + Vox AC15 + Isobox + SM57 + AKG P170 + Creamback65

RCM 800 and twangsta like this.
  12. IOSEPHVS

IOSEPHVS Well-Known Member

My DAW is down. I laid down a couple of tracks two days ago, including one very difficult section, on guitar. I closed out of SONAR, and thought I had shut everything down. I guess the PC didn't actually shut down all the way after I had left the room. Today, I went in to resume where I had left off, and found the PC stuck in a constant loop: it executes POST, and reboots. Troubleshooting and fixing the problem won't be difficult. It's just time consuming, and I'd rather be playing guitar instead of resolving the issue.

13. Dogs of Doom

your privacy setting on your clip doesn't allow it to be embedded here...

Gaz Baker likes this.
  14. Del Rei

Wow... really? Weird, I can play the clip here. You mean my privacy setting on SoundCloud..?

Dogs of Doom likes this.
  15. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I was wondering, what is the best way to achieve presence in close-miked guitar recordings? I have found that I can get a good midrange with a smooth top end, but the smooth top end comes at the expense of a duller, less bright recording that sounds a bit wooly.

I have also noticed that, apparently, dialing in more bass on the amp actually gives the tone more girth and definition in the midrange, rather than roominess, while it also seems to enhance clarity. I am not sure what to think of that and whether I am hearing it right. What do you guys think?

16. Dogs of Doom

it works now, but the other link doesn't...

Del Rei likes this.
  17. Seventh Son

Seventh Son Well-Known Member

I have noticed that my close-miked (on the speaker cloth) recordings with an SM57 are dominated by frequency build-up in the 100–200Hz range. The boominess is noticeable in the room even when the amp's volume is set below conversational volume. It manifests itself as a nasty build-up of low frequency as a power chord (say, E, D, and C, on the 7th, 5th, and 3rd fret, respectively) is struck and let to ring out. On the graphic EQ analyzer, the wave shows those build-ups as burgeoning high-Q spikes, in addition to the wave being heavily tilted in favor of the sub-500Hz region. I am surprised how much of that nasty build-up makes it into the mic, considering the SM57 is considered as very directional. Have you guys ever noticed this in your homes and apartments? And, is there anything that can be done to minimize the problem?

Last edited: Aug 1, 2020
  18. twangsta

twangsta Member

That sounds great; how did you get your drums there? Live or sampled?

Here's my first mix/track ever, I"m using an SM75 to a 1960B cab. Not sure where to go from here.

RCM 800, Dogs of Doom and Del Rei like this.
  19. Del Rei

Wow!
    Great recording, man... You got a nice open sound, so much clarity in this mix, man. How do you make it? I always think my music gets a very closed feel.

About my drums, it's EzDrummer.

twangsta likes this.
  20. twangsta

twangsta Member

I liked your recording!

Thanks, beginners luck I guess :)

My first track when I tried to create it from scratch. But I've been experimenting for a few months on various non-descript recordings, for example on this track I hadn't quite got the mic in the right place yet.

Also, my cab has steadily been breaking in more. Not as harsh as it was 5 months or a year ago. Most of my older backtrack based recordings are terrible.

Fender YJM sig strat -> Vermuram Budi ( for the second solo )-> DOD YJM 308 ( for the first solo I think ) -> RR100 -> 1960B (T75) -> SM75 ( edge of cap ) -> RME Babyface Pro -> Studio One 4.x ( stock plugins for reverb, compression and eq ) [ EzDrummer on here too :) ]

Double-tracked the clean bits and the opening melody and hard-panned them about 75% side to side.
    I kept the input gain on the mic pre conservative and boosted in DAW, I find that feels warmer.
    Watched a few vids on mixing, kept things to a minimum.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2020
    Del Rei likes this.