The origin of the 4x12 cabinet?

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by 1956tvmodel, Feb 14, 2020.

1. 1956tvmodel

1956tvmodel Active Member

With all the great inovations over the years like the Stratocaster and the Les Paul guitar designs you don't hear much about the beginnings of the 4x12 cab which is probably just as responsible for the sound of rock as much as anything else. Didn't it start out as a 8x12 built for Richie Blackmore?

2. 1956tvmodel

Just realized I should have posted in cabinets and speakers. Oops. Trying to figure out how to delete

3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well you’re half right. The way I heard it it was Pete Townsend. The story I heard was Pete Townsend wanted more speakers than the 4-12 cabs Jim had been making. He asked Jim for an 8-12 cab.

Now here’s where it gets a bit fuzzy. I think Jim made a prototype 8-12 cab for Townsend, but it was just too heavy and bulky to lug around. So Jim made a corporate decision and made 2/4-12 cabs as a stack to alleviate the problem!

That's how I remember it anyway.

4. 1956tvmodel

I knew it was either Blackmore or Townshend. Thanks god they did away with a 8x12. Can you imagine. I always liked playing a half stack. Ive only ever hooked up both my cabs a couple times

5. RCM 800

RCM 800 Well-Known Member

I read an interview with EVH once and he said the reason he wasn't deaf after all the years of loud music was that he only used half not full stacks. Always figured if it was good enough for him it was plenty for me. I mainly use 1x12's now lol.

6. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That 8-12 reminds me of a Marshall cab the other guitarist in my band in the 70s had. It was a single 8-10 Marshall cab that he played his 50 watt Marshall head thru. That was something!

Here’s another crazy speaker cab thing that is related to the 8-10 Marshall cab.

At the same time I was playing a Fender Super Six Reverb, (not a Super Reverb,...a Super SIX Reverb). Fender only made these for three years I think, mine was a 1971.

It was a 100 watt 6-10” combo,...yeah, that’s right, I said combo! It was a bitch to lug around, and heavy too, about 100lbs! It came with 4 removable casters on the side of the amp so you could roll it on its side.

What a freakin behemoth! I remember we had this recurring gig at a bar that was on the second floor of a restaurant. The management required us to come up the outdoor rickety, wooden steps in the back to get in to set up.

I remember what an ordeal it was going up thst flight of steps with the two amps me and the other guitarist had! Not do bad in the summer, but the winters were a bitch.

@AlvisX remembers that 8-10 Marshall cab, I think he use to have one!

Here a pic of a Fender Super Six Reverb I found online. You can see the holes on the side where the casters would’ve been installed....a 100 watt 6-10 combo!!!!

[​IMG]

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Here’s a pic of the back of the amp showing the 6-10” speakers....

[​IMG]

8. AlvisX

AlvisX Well-Known Member

Still have it

Crikey and scozz like this.
  9. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Lets try to get things straight guys, Jim never made anything although he gave the impression he did, all the experimentation was down to Dudley Craven, he is the one who needs the mention.

It is true that this was a request from Pete Townsend.

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Thanks for the correction Mr. Underwood! :yesway:

Crikey likes this.
  11. Ken Underwood

Ken Underwood Well-Known Member VIP Member

Less of the politeness please, my name is Ken to all my mates lol

12. Matthews Guitars

Matthews Guitars Well-Known Member

The Fender Super Six Reverb was the slightly insane big brother of the Quad Reverb which in turn was the big brother of the Twin Reverb.

They're all the same chassis (maybe the output transformer had different taps) and the Twin had two 12s, the Quad had four 12s, and the Six was equipped with six 10s although there is room for six 12s if you cared to modify the baffle. It was kinda nuts.