The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

Right, the problem is sv20 don't have master volume, so in order to get the tone you are describing it is gonna have to be much louder than my jcm 800 would be with master on 1, like a lot louder... unless you get an attenuator, which, even though I am in a neighborhood, does not look like something I am going to be needing... I guess I had a completely different idea of what "bedroom" volume is compared to other people in these forms, my idea of bedroom volume is if the cops aren't getting called and my neighbors aren't saying anything then its fine for me lol. My roommate do tend to get peaved though with the sv20 cranked, and like I have said a few times, the sv20's volume really does not increase much from 5-10, the tone just crunches and compresses. If you have a sleeping baby or bitchy neighbors/roommates, this amp is definitely a no go. So no, you are not going to be able to get a similar tone without an attenuator if thats as loud as you can go unfortunately

2. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

The SV doesn't have "volume" , only "preamp" labelled volume, and what's called volume on the sc800 is internally set to 10, always on the SV... it's like using the 800 with volume always on 10

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  3. Buzzard

Buzzard Well-Known Member

I commented only because everybody says how loud it is and it isn't imo . and that it is great in a gigging situation and can keep up with a drummer.

dwagar, Kinkless Tetrode and tce63 like this.
  4. Alter

Alter Well-Known Member

Last time I gigged a small combo for rock was the boogie studio 22+ a few years back (12' speaker). I could make it work. I wonder how does the sv20 combo compare volume and headroom wise..

5. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Bedroom volume means nobody can hear me upstairs.

A ppimv sounds like a great idea for the SV20, I wonder if anybody has ventured there.

6. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

Oh yeah not a chance, the PPIMV or attenuator may bring it down to that volume, but its gonna take a big tone hit for sure

7. oasis02

oasis02 Member

The Tone King Ironman Mini Mk2 attenuator works extremely well with the SV20H. It's made for amps <30w, and doesn't rob much tone or feel at all.

Before I got it, I initially favored the SC because I could handle the volume with the master. Now, they are both equally glorious.

8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I have a 1987x with a ppimv and it sounds glorious no tone hit. :yesway:

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Don't know about the combo, since I don't have one, but regarding the head...
    First gig I did with the SV into my 4x12, even with a volume box set at half in the FX loop, as soon as the amp came off standby, everyone turned to me saying "f..k it's LOUD". And I play with loud drummers and have used a DSL100 with that band for years, so not exactly a quiet amp either. My bandmates are used to my side of the stage being as loud as I can pull it and not overpower everything. Which, on some gigs (especially outdoors on bigger stages) is effin loud. Whenever I can pull it and not annoy the hell out of my bandmates and the engineer, I like to set my amp right before the point where it's incontrollable feedback as soon as I open up the volume. And so whenever you hit a chord, you actually feel a punch in the guts standing a few meters from it.
    So when I tell you the SV20H is LOUD, that's because I'm used to gigging loud amps, and have no issue about playing them as loud I can manage. And I have zero concern about the SV being able to be heard in a loud rock gig. Again, indoors I have to dim it quite a bit (volume box at half or so), and it already has zero problem competing with my drummer, who's quite a heavy hitter, so even outdoors on medium-sized stages (the 8m deep x 15m wide variety, that's roughly 25 feet by 50/60 feet for you imperial system guys) I'm not even sure I'll be able to run it wide open.
    But I don't care about clean headroom, the amp being way into crunch territory is fine by me.

So, unless you're doing big festivals and Madison Square Garden on a daily basis, want it clean, and want to rely solely on the amp for hearing yourself, the SV20H is plenty enough for pretty much 99% of gigging musicians out there.

10. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

The combo is pretty loud and i like to play loud:) you have stand back some feet to capture the full tone. The Jube seems more in your face plus it has more high frequencies so it seems louder plus a 12 in greenback. I think the V type might be too warm im not sure yet.

11. zenlink

zenlink Member

Hi Ken! I'm a Ken too lol! Glad to see another SV20C like the one I bought! Use to own a 1987X and still have my 1966A 2X12 Lead cab made in Bletchley England I used to play it thru! I really like playing thru the 10 inch Celestion speaker b/c it's got some Major Balls!

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and ken361 like this.
  12. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

awesome! mines is a couple months old not sure if its broken in yet but does sound smoother i been using the jube a little more but try to use both as much possible. i do appreciate the cleaner type plexi tones with that amp. Was thinking how a greenback would sound.

Mitchell Pearrow, zenlink and tce63 like this.
  13. zenlink

zenlink Member

The 2X12 Cab with greenbacks does sound great (and different) but that 10 inch Celestion Rocks! IMHO they got it right!

ken361, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

good to know

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Tore knutsen

Tore knutsen Active Member

Totally agree with you, the sv20 keeps up just fine, no problems at all

16. zenlink

zenlink Member

Yep! You know it well!
    :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  17. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I plugged it in my Jubilee cab with a greenback it sounds great! going to order a geenback for it! I like the touch sensitivity of the greens and mids.

18. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Stock amp at 5 watts it record better now with some break in V type

The Jubilee speaker is a month old still needs some breaking in actually sounds great cranked greenback

Last edited: May 27, 2019
  19. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

White Room ! God I love that song...
    Sounds good congrats !

tce63 and ken361 like this.
  20. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Thanks yeah great tune:)

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.