The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

You absolutely right Mitch,...as usual! Who knows how long one will be here,....able to enjoy these things!

You are wise beyond your years Mr. Pearrow! :cool:

2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I thank you for your wisdom and support brother! Cheers Mitch

steveb63 and tce63 like this.
  3. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Can you afford it and not take away from necessary purchases ? Can you store it without room becoming an issue ?
    If then, no reason not to (and even if that were the case, you're a grown adult, you make your own choices). You only live once. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. There's no rule saying only gigging guitarists should get nice amps. In that case lots of amp brands (especially the "boutique" ones) would be bankrupt anyway ;) Plus, f..k rules.

4. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

5. oasis02

oasis02 Member

I’m curious @oasis02, are you a strictly at home guitarist or do you also gig?

I do not gig at this time; just a hobbyist these days. These Marshalls have made a huge difference in playing satisfaction. Even after tacking another $400 to the cost (for the Ironman attenuator), I really feel these rigs were a great value.

A LONG...time coming, but finally here!

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and tce63 like this.
  6. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

WELL GUYS I DID IT

I broke down and shamelessly ordered an sv20h from guitar center, it is set to ship on the 28th, I will be sure to post pics when I get it. Gonna get an attenuator too because I am in a neighborhood and my roommates will get upset. 2 questions:

Can anyone recommend an attenuator? I will be recording with this amp if that makes a difference.

Also, I am still a bit of a noob with amps and speakers even though I have been playing for 15 years, this is the first time I have got an amp head so I must ask someone directly even though I can look it up. I have a M212 130w 4ohm Marshall 2x12 and I want to know if this is feasible(20 or 5 watts into the 130w 2x12 cabinet) Can this damage it? Will it sound good? I have heard people like 8ohms for lead playing with 100watt amps and it will be mostly EJ's lead tone.

Or should I use the 1x10 v 16ohm speaker on my JCM 800 sc20c(which is what this amp is paired with in the combo version)?

My biggest concern is damaging the amp with the 4 ohm 130w 2x12 however b/c I don't know how it works.

7. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

The SV20h has a 4 ohm tap - you won't damage the amp if you match your impedance - hook it to that output - have fun!
    Attenuators - can't recommend from personal experience since i don't have my SV20 yet, users reported good results with juice box (simple L-Pad passive attenuator) which is a cheap option to explore.
    Also if you are handy with a soldering iron there is a great DIY reactive attenuator in this forum - the parts will set you back <100$ & it's a simple DIY project.

Last edited: May 14, 2019
  8. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I Use a Palmer PDI-06 attenuator, sounds great

9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Watched it, it pretty much sums it up. Yeah, it's loud. Yeah, it's incredibly fun to play. Yeah, it does THAT tone.

Funny how the Friedman only gets in the ballpark but doesn't totally nail it, nor walks all over it (by any imaginable margin), at THREE TIMES THE PRICE (here in Europe at least) ! Sure, it has way more features (master volume, 2nd channel), but for that sound...there's no substitute !

10. Fender

Fender Active Member

to miss it, people would need to feel the difference :D

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. Fender

Fender Active Member

Not saying a choke is useless but I don’t really think it matters much on 20w Amps with good filtering. The role of the choke was some kind of security against bad caps (value-wise) and sag on big wattage amps.
    Maybe measuring the sag on a cranked sv20h/sc20h with a big E Chord through a guitar with humbuckers would tell more about the effective need but the fact that the absence of choke on new 100w model amps nowadays doesn’t translate in weird or bad behavioour from the sound tells me it’s not important.

12. zenlink

zenlink Member

ok

Attached Files:

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  13. walshb

walshb Active Member

Nice guitar zenlink!

Last edited: May 19, 2019
    zenlink likes this.
  14. zenlink

zenlink Member

Oops! I'll find another pic!
    :thumbs:

15. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

LazyPitufo, steveb63 and zenlink like this.
  16. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yup, I can’t disagree with any of that, to the contrary, I agree with you! Also I can answer your first two questions with a resounding YES!

Thanks for the help @WellBurnTheSky,...:cheers:

17. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

tce63 likes this.
  18. Trapland

Trapland Running Into Walls Silver Supporting Member

The better questions are, “what is tone suck?” “compared to what?”

Some people just don’t like the sound or feel of cranked, distorted, compressed power tubes. If you’re not sure, I would explore that tone first.

Some people require “edge of destruction” distortion from their speakers. Playing at lower output power, even with distortion reduces or eliminates this.

Some people like a different distortion quality than a cranked amp. Many of them prefer pedals or preamp gain with master volumes.

Cranked Marshall power stages change the overall EQ.

Distortion and compression from the EL34s in a Marshall behaves differently from preamp distortion (usually). Most preamp gain distortion does not clean up nearly as well with the guitar volume or lighter picking and may even get darker toned. It’s common to need to greatly reduce the loudness before getting noticeably cleaner with the volume. It’s opposite with powertube distortion. The apparent loudness from sounding mostly clean to sounding pretty distorted is much closer to the same.

This gives you a couple of major differences, it’s less forgiving of inconsistent attack volume, if you pick or hammer on lightly, it will sound cleaner, if you are trying to play cleaner and you dig in more you’ll get distortion. Also because a hotter input by picking or pickups (or boost pedals) only gets more distortion and compression, you can’t get “louder” for solos, especially if your rhythm sound is pretty distorted already.

If you don’t like the effects above from a cranked amp, then either turn down the power amp and use pedals for distortion and loudness, or use a channel switching amp, or add in another amp for solos.

All of these are legitimate. Before using an attenuator I would ask yourself what you’re missing.

Back to tone suck. In the olden days, attenuators were resistive (tin sholze, Altair, L-pads) and pretty much nuked all the treble. That’s what most people think of when they say tone suck. Even today some modern attenuators and re-ampers do (hotplate, unleash, mass) and have compensating circuits that may or may not get the tone back.

My personal choice is the affordable Marshall Power Brake. It does not kill highs, at least to my ears and doing an A/B without one using protools. It may reduce lows at very low volumes, but I don’t care. I play in bands and do not djent, so lows are for the bass player. All volume reduction has an effect on speakers contribution, but since I don’t like speaker breakup, it’s fine for me.

There are other far more expensive attenuators that don’t suck tone. Also you may like the sucked tone as well. If you like darker tone, you may be able to use almost anything. But if you can hear the difference between a 10 foot and a 30 foot guitar cord, then you will certainly need to choose the right attenuator.

19. Sacalait

Sacalait Well-Known Member

Man! My Sweetwater rep now says June for the SV20H! I ordered it on March 18! Lawd! I've seen GC with some in stock but I'm doing that 48-month interest free thang from Sweetwater so it's play the waiting game. I appreciate all the videos I see on this bad boy out here! Keep them coming!

20. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

Awesome man, thanks exactly what I was looking for...
    Even though EJ doesn't use much high end usually... on this song the top end sparkly's and dynamics is crucial.