The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. whitecloud

whitecloud Active Member

I really hope this amp and others in the Studio series great success. I'd like to have the Mini Plexi but for now want my 1300 bucks and the Origin 20h is making me happy. Demos so far sound good out of the gates but do notice most have the amp cranked. I agree with others that it will be a loud 20 watts so it may work for some and have others complaining. So for now the grass isn't greener for me at least Yet. :)

2. KraftyBob

KraftyBob Well-Known Member

Is your grandson on this board:)

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

No he’s not a member here only I am, but he helps me out on all the gadget frustrations I have, posting clips, photos, he schooled me on how to do it and I payed attention! Cheers

KraftyBob, tce63 and scozz like this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I had a couple 15 watt amps in the past fenders, class 5, ect. The Vox handwired 15 watts was pretty loud and held up to the 6505 peavey combo at 60 watts which really seem that loud:( the vox I always wanted a little volume with that amp. I really want to try these new marshall they look and sound good.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Im referring to the Volime Box now, not the OD.

It can only be used in the loop, I want to stress that,...ONLY in the effects loop!!

I run it first in the loop, and it works great. But I’m only using it with my Dsl1hr right now,....not much of a test with it. But it quiet and works the way I’m eager to use it with the Marshall Studio Classic I ordered!

6. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I hear ya! it would be a little different voiced so having 2 amps might be good:)

7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Like I said prior,....I’ve only used it with a 1 watt amp so far, (Dsl1hr), it works great, I turn the volume all the way up and adjust the output with the volume box.

I did notice a drop in distortion, the gain was lower. It had a really nice tone though. You could actually hear the power amp pushing hard!

Like I said, I’m looking forward to using it with my 20 watt Classic!!

I did order the Classic over the Vintage because of the preamp volume,....just in case my Volume Box doesn’t work as expected. :D

tce63 likes this.
  8. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Have you tried the volume box in the loop? I thought thats where Carl meant it to be used.

tce63 likes this.
  9. chiliphil1

chiliphil1 Well-Known Member

Yes, I realize that but I noticed that you have it immediately after an od pedal so I wasn’t sure if you were using in front of the amp as a signal buffer or in the loop and you were also running an od pedal in the loop.

tce63 likes this.
  10. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

I did the same thing with a
    I did the same thing with a boost pedal in the loop, works like a charm. Kept gain on zero on the pedal and used the pedal's volume as a master volume. A volume pedal in the loop should perform the same way.

tce63 likes this.
  11. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Well, if it works with a 1987x...
    I guess it’s workable with the 5w mode.

Dwayne Eash and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Ok well thanks for pointing that out to me @chiliphil1,....sometimes my brain doesn’t work too good. I mistakenly put it outside the loop with my OD and eq pedals!!!! I’ve now put it where it belongs,...in the loop!

[​IMG]

Funny thing though, it worked! Weird.

Oh well,... it’s not the first stupid thing I’ve done,...and it won’t be the last.

Carry on, :p

13. slagg

slagg Well-Known Member

That don't work worth a shit.

johan.b likes this.
  14. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yup,...it’s in the loop now....

It actually works great both ways, but yes you’re right,...it’s recommended to be used IN the loop.

[​IMG]

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  15. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Agreed... you lose all the power amp drive, which is the whole point of a plexi...sure, there's some preamp drive, all of the power amp drive will be lost
    J

Capriccio, Moony, scozz and 1 other person like this.
  16. assaf110

assaf110 Well-Known Member

Well, I guess “work” or “won’t work” is a subjective thing.
    If you expect arena face melting tones at “don’t wake the baby” levels, then yeah, it won’t work.

DannyB and BftGibson like this.
  17. Fender

Fender Active Member

it's compromise but the compromise is still better than with a full power 1959 or 1987 : you use the volume pedal when @home so you lose some of the drive (there's some left if you crank it more on the preamp side, juste another tone), but you can use it at full volume in rehearsing/gigging situation which was not really the case with 1959 and 1987 :eek:
    PPIMV is not bad, but it's just slightly better than a classic MV or a volume pedal in the loop, far from perfect too...

scozz likes this.
  18. DesolationBlvd

DesolationBlvd Active Member

I would imagine the volume boxes with a Plexi would give you the same results as a non-cascade 2204. Don't most of those who have them turn them into regular cascaded 2204s?

I just remembered the One Wire Mod exists. My new worry is how a PPIMV would work with the different power section (especially the low power mode), and if I could remove just the FX loop board and use that to put the PPIMV in.

19. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

So whats the result, you got your amp setup how you want, some overdrive or gain setup, then this box in the loop to attenuate your volume without losing any gain? I have not found any videos demoing this gadget not even Carl LOL.

20. Bke

Bke New Member

The best tone you can get at home will not be the best tone the amp can give IMO.. But.. i still prefer in a major way the sound of an amp like this with maybe a little attentuation, volume pedal or similar in the loop with maybe a boost out front to any SS amp (Roland cube etc) sure its not the same as cranking the amp on stage but its never going to be.. so always a compromise and unfortunately some of us live in places where we have to manage the volume well beyond what the amp is designed for. Is it worth it? well, thats an individual decision based on what you can afford and whether the compromise is worth the increased cost vs lower (and maybe\subjectively) cost solutions... of course there is the modelling world, but that's another thing altogether.