The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

middy

Reaction score
I’m plugging into the high normal and bridging low normal to low high treble. This tames the bright cap a bit and makes it easier to dial in nice clean and edge of breakup tones if you find the bright cap too strident.

middy

Reaction score
Ok, this bright cap has to go. It literally makes it painful to play at medium gain settings with no attenuation. I guess I’m more of a Super Bass guy…

junk notes

Reaction score
Sratocasters/Telecasters/Juniors are brighter sounding guitars and tend to have some of those unwanted high frequencies.
I have been preparing for this Summer's gigs replacing/downsizing full and halfstack Plexi rig(s) incorporating one of my SV heads, with the other destined for a 1992. The SC will arrive in the coming weeks.
I am familiarizing myself with the SV's 5 watt mode for now, and will deal with 20w mode characteristics when I feel I have had a consistent tone playing in 5w - learning in this 1x12 setting.
I am taming the volume similar to everyone's approach with an attenuator, but I running between 95v no more than 115v. A big difference, with roughly 125v coming off the wall.
This tames the nasty highs that Stratocaster or singlecoil types are inherent with, post circuit..
Getting used to it, but I keep looking to flip the impedance going back from 8Ω to 16Ω and there is no switch because the head is self biasing (which is NTM).

That means this weekend I get to finally try out the matched E.H. 6CA7 duet. I have plenty, and a plethora of preamp tubes, but the ones in there now are fine; and the inventory of long plate, short plate, fat bottles will eventually be worked in later.

Most important to me, is finalizing the LIVE (gig or play out) Tone settings on this - IMHO hybrid Plexi - with every other day trying achieving and delivering as close as possible, to a halfstack.
Impossible with physics involved, but this is the edge I have making singlecoil guitars behave as their humbucker counterparts., at least giving it a try sounding as huge as possible with the all the best Plexi tones. :)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Ok, this bright cap has to go. It literally makes it painful to play at medium gain settings with no attenuation. I guess I’m more of a Super Bass guy…
As stated by others, the amp is not that bright, and I'd modify the guitar(s), not the amp. Also, most single coil guitars do have a tone control.

Rimmme

Reaction score
Just my two cents about the bright cap:

I got so hyped by some of the opinions of others that have changed the value of the bright cap, so I brought it to my amp tech the other day.
He changed the 4700pF to a 250 pF and I liked it first for the bassier tones, but just the day after, I had to bring it back. He put another 4700 pF cap in and it began to sing again. It totally lost its character without the standard value.

My advise is to leave it as it is, but I‘m also glad I tried it. It gave me sleepless nights nevertheless haha.
Jumping channels is all I need and the clean sounds are brilliant with the low normal channel and jumping high normal and low treble.

middy

Reaction score
It’s not too bright. It’s the high mids punching my eardrums. It’s ok around 7, but there’s all kind of lower gain edge of breakup tones I’d like to explore without that bright cap dominating everything unless I bury it under the normal channel.
Yeah, I can roll off the volume on the guitar, but that’s a different sound too.

middy

Reaction score
I’ll probably just install a bright switch.

Saberslash

Reaction score
What do you guys think, is this head SV20(or combo) worth getting as pedal platform, or even better, to use it together in multi amp setup, together with Silver Jubilee 2525H? Maybe to use Jubilee for high gain, and SV 20 for clean al light overdriven tones? :)

middy

Reaction score
... sounds like you're using vintage30...12 inches of ear fatigue...?... speaker choise makes a huge difference..
Just the 10” v-type in the combo. I’ll try a G10 greenback eventually, but for now I’m thinking bright switch.

I have the amp on a tilt back stand. My ears are still ringing from yesterday. Time to dig out the attenuator.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Set it to 5 watts. That reigns in some punch.

I have the head. Ive run mine into a C110 cabinet with a G10 Greenback. Sounded great but is on the bright side. Crunchy though. I preferred a G10 Gold Alnico.

How long have you had it? Has the speaker got any time on it? That may be part of it.

ken361

Reaction score
Just the 10” v-type in the combo. I’ll try a G10 greenback eventually, but for now I’m thinking bright switch.

I have the amp on a tilt back stand. My ears are still ringing from yesterday. Time to dig out the attenuator.
If I tilt my amps back I get that nasty high end also. My old dsl40c was the same the 800 combo also unless I drop the mids and Re EQ everything. Had the greenback it did seem to mello it some. On the flat floor gets more lows I just stand back 15 feet or sit. Plus give it at least 20 loud hours on the speakers.

middy

Reaction score
I keep saying it’s not the highs, but you guys must be deaf from your plexis.
It’s fine now with my old L-pad attenuator, and it’s great at 7+, but I’m still not crazy about the hyped upper mids at edge of breakup. If that’s the sound I want I’ll just turn on a treble booster, at least they are adjustable and footswitchable. I’ll leave it for now and see how it sounds in the band mix.

middy

Reaction score
What do you guys think, is this head SV20(or combo) worth getting as pedal platform, or even better, to use it together in multi amp setup, together with Silver Jubilee 2525H? Maybe to use Jubilee for high gain, and SV 20 for clean al light overdriven tones? :)
I think it makes a great pedal platform. A master volume in the loop works brilliantly as long as you’re running it clean, and the clean tone is very nice and versatile.

middy

Reaction score
Set it to 5 watts. That reigns in some punch.

I have the head. Ive run mine into a C110 cabinet with a G10 Greenback. Sounded great but is on the bright side. Crunchy though. I preferred a G10 Gold Alnico.

How long have you had it? Has the speaker got any time on it? That may be part of it.
A G10 Gold is on my short list as well. I’m not a big believer in speaker break in, but I’ll give it some time.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
A G10 Gold is on my short list as well. I’m not a big believer in speaker break in, but I’ll give it some time.

You right. They just limber up.

Having the head I tried a 1x10 setup just to see why there were complaints on the combo. I like to play with speakers anyway. Vintage 10 was my least favorite but it was a toss up between the Greenback and Gold. Greenback had a nice breakup which made it feel like the amp had more gain. 70s rock. Just compact. The Gold had a blues vibe about it. Cleaner. That Alnico thing that's hard to describe.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I keep saying it’s not the highs, but you guys must be deaf from your plexis.
It’s fine now with my old L-pad attenuator, and it’s great at 7+, but I’m still not crazy about the hyped upper mids at edge of breakup. If that’s the sound I want I’ll just turn on a treble booster, at least they are adjustable and footswitchable. I’ll leave it for now and see how it sounds in the band mix.
When someone's talking about removing a bright cap, that's definitely "highs", not upper mids. Whatever the offending frequency, it can still be tamed with and EQ in the loop.