The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Silverdome

Reaction score
Turned up to glory, it's loud enough to hang with a loud drummer and busy bass player...it's what it's made for. ... if you're looking for a clean pedal plattform, then it's not...

Just got back from demoing it. Yeah, that amp is loud. It was a little awkward the guy just had me play it in the store show room while there was a bunch of other customers in there. I'm too self conscious and don't enjoy demoing equipment at stores. The strat was tough, I pretty much had to dime it to get the Marshall sound out of it and I just didn't feel like doing much with the strat considering how many people were in there and how loud the amp was. I switched to a humbucker guitar and that guitar in that amp absolutely ripped. Much easier to get the desired sound.

One other note, the clean tone in this amp is actually really pleasing. I was ringing out some open chords and definitely has a better clean tone than my JCM 900 or Class 5. Also, I did a Ramones song through the amp and played the Stooges I wanna Be Your Dog. That's the sound, it's right there just by plugging in direct with no effects. Last note I see it asked so often if an amp can do the AC/DC thing...my opinion is as long as you turn it up this amp does it effortlessly.

Last edited:

Silverdome

Reaction score
So based on yesterday, I want this amp. The humbucker experience showed me in one chord this amp is the truth. I've read a good chunk of this thread as a result and I guess just looking for a high level summary on attenuation.

Bugera? Fayette? Or Weber? If there's a night and day difference in Marshall experience between the three I'm all ears.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
They can grow on you in person. I have the matching slant 2x12 cabinets for my 2525H and SV20H as well as a 2061CX. Sonically, i don't prefere one over the other. I agree though in wondering why they didn't just re-skin the 2061CX.
Yeah, I love the look of the 2061, and it looks great with the Studio heads on top.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advise man.
Got the amp and the Weber minimass. It does the job I guess.
Explains why I've been away for a few days ;)
I have the treble at about 3.5 and high treble around 1.5 on 20w and the sound is awesome.
I use my JAM pedals Rooster to adjust the gain accordingly.
A couple of things with the Weber Minimass, the 2 position treble boost switch comes in handy to restore any high end loss.

Also, I really like the fact that the Weber attenuators are handmade in the US, one by one as the orders come in. They also do a very good job and sound great!

Compared to being mass produced and made in China,…
:cool:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
So based on yesterday, I want this amp. The humbucker experience showed me in one chord this amp is the truth. I've read a good chunk of this thread as a result and I guess just looking for a high level summary on attenuation.

Bugera? Fayette? Or Weber? If there's a night and day difference in Marshall experience between the three I'm all ears.
Guess it depends on your needs. Would you be using it in a band, where you may need a solo volume boost? If not, then a Weber or even a Bugera attenuator (users seem to be happy with both) sound like the least expensive options. If you do need a solo volume boost, my choice would be a Bad Cat Unleash, which, like the Fryette, is an attenuator/re-amping device. It has 2 foot switchable volume levels, which is unique to that design (at least, I haven't seen another with that feature). It can also be used to increase the volume of the amp, in the event the SV20 were not loud enough (outdoors...).

George Dickens

Reaction score
I have a custiom 3 watt tube "champ" sort of amp.
I was going to use the line-out and go into my baby amp, off switch the internal speaker of the marshall, at least when the neighbors are home. They dont seem to mind the 3 watter. Its got an 8" speaker.
I have not taken delivery yet so I only know the tech specs I can find online.
Some seem sketchy.
Does anyone know if this will work.
For example does the line out have speaker emulation?
If so can it be switched off
thanks for any other ideas too,
Im not into adding any pedals or antenuators cost too much to me for the next little while.
The in the loop master I believe wont be satisfying to me- Ive tried it in the past.

Last edited:

Silverdome

Reaction score
Guess it depends on your needs. Would you be using it in a band, where you may need a solo volume boost? If not, then a Weber or even a Bugera attenuator (users seem to be happy with both) sound like the least expensive options. If you do need a solo volume boost, my choice would be a Bad Cat Unleash, which, like the Fryette, is an attenuator/re-amping device. It has 2 foot switchable volume levels, which is unique to that design (at least, I haven't seen another with that feature). It can also be used to increase the volume of the amp, in the event the SV20 were not loud enough (outdoors...).

Thank you! Possibly band but I have a feeling it won't be necessary for the band. They have really good deals on the Bugera right now. Might just pick one up ahead of owning the amp. The Weber looks good to for some of the additional features.

Silverdome

Reaction score
Before you spend up on an attenuator try the JHS little black box in the loop. With that and a pedal I can get 'the sound' at a level you can't hear in the next room. And if you don't like it you're out what - $30-40?
BTW I totally agree with your impressions of the amp.

Just read up on one. Gotta admit that's a very appealing option.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I have a custiom 3 watt tube "champ" sort of amp.
I was going to use the line-out and go into my baby amp, off switch the internal speaker of the marshall, at least when the neighbors are home. They dont seem to mind the 3 watter. Its got an 8" speaker.
I have not taken delivery yet so I only know the tech specs I can find online.
Some seem sketchy.
Does anyone know if this will work.
For example does the line out have speaker emulation?
If so can it be switched off
thanks for any other ideas too,
Im not into adding any pedals or antenuators cost too much to me for the next little while.
The in the loop master I believe wont be satisfying to me- Ive tried it in the past.
Right off hand, I'm thinking this approach will not work. I believe the amp has to be out of "Standby" in order for the DI out to work, which means you need a speaker load, which means sound will be coming from the speaker, and you can't just "turn off the speaker". I could be wrong , of course.

George Dickens

Reaction score
Right off hand, I'm thinking this approach will not work. I believe the amp has to be out of "Standby" in order for the DI out to work, which means you need a speaker load, which means sound will be coming from the speaker, and you can't just "turn off the speaker". I could be wrong , of course.

Yes thank-you I think you're right- Ive now looked at some pics and there is no switches of any type so Im guessing there is no on board saftey way to load and take the speakers place.
It was worth a shot.

Heres the hard to find photo of the out put panel, same as the SC version or 800 it appears.

Attachments

• back.jpg
    back.jpg
    607.5 KB · Views: 6

lespaulsg

Reaction score
Just read up on one. Gotta admit that's a very appealing option.

for about the same price, you can just get an actual attenuator https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/PS1Atten--bugera-ps1-passive-100-watt-power-attenuator

ive personally tested jhs volume, weber minimass and bugera - bugera is hands down the winner. JHS volume pedal is not that great of an option. The weber minimass is rated too low attenuate the sv20 and i was told by weebr they wouldnt recommend the mini for the sv20

i encourage you to try all 3 options, but in the case you dont want to, those are my findings

lespaulsg

Reaction score
for roughly the same price ($600 usd) which would you rather get for the sv20:

a used 2061cx (212 cab) with 2 tears in the tolex (on the back corners)

or

new sv212?

IMO, 2061cx looks better but is used. SV212 is brand new but a little narrow

usablefiber

Reaction score
Man I want this amp lol. just can’t afford one atm.

I’ve been really missing my 1987x that i foolishly sold years ago.

Plexi type amps are my absolute favorite it has all these wild untamed sounds that you can tweak and it really has such a complete beefy sound to it like no other to my ears.

True one of these 20 watt heads in guitar center but was quickly asked to turn it down as it was PLENTY loud at least in that setting lol

mad5066

Reaction score

or

new sv212?

hands down, the 2061cx

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

or

new sv212?

I have booth the SV212 and 2061CX.
SV212 is a great cab, But i love my 2061cx.

So if you have a chance, get the 2061cx CAB

junk notes

Reaction score
Call me crazy but I can't stand the dimensions of the vertical cabs. I prefer the size of the 2061cx so much more, wish they would release that again.

I’m with you mad! The aesthetics of those vertical 2-12 cabs just do not fit my eye, the 2061 is do much better looking imo. I even like the look of the horizontal 2-12 cabs better.
hands down, the 2061cx

I have booth the SV212 and 2061CX.
SV212 is a great cab, But i love my 2061cx.

So if you have a chance, get the 2061cx CAB
... and it is about the their sound!

I highly recommend players get this current Marshall offering as @scozz suggests prior to the dedicated Studio Series extension cabs. :agreed:
Yes, 2061 all-over-the-place! :yesway:

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
2061CX I've had a while. I kept an eye out for another but just didn't run across one before I lost interest in looking. Having a dedicated cabinet for each was the sole purpose anyway so that is what drove me to get the Studio cabs. If I'd run across another 2061CX I wouldn't have bothered with them. The stock G12H Anniversaries, I was satisfied with both heads. More specific to match the SV a set of Heritage Greenbacks in it is my favorite though. The V Types in the SV212 are fine but eventually those Heritages will end up in it.

Kind of off topic, one good thing about getting the 2536A for the Jubilee is the G12 Vintage that come in it. Those, I had no experience with but they more than settled that amp speaker wise. That cabinet pairs very well stock.