The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Every week or so at rehearsal I'm bringing different pedals to try out as a boost for my SV20H rig, and still haven't found anything that beats my v1.3 OCD clone. That one sounds big, full and liquid, just like the amp but gainier, does the early 80s thing perfectly (and is almost dead silent).
    Interestingly, the RAT, that sounded and felt just awesome with the SC20H I'm also using (the friend that owns the room we rehearse in has one, along with a couple of cabs including the EVH 2x12 I'm used to), doesn't work as well with the SV (it's noisier too). Doesn't clean up as well either. The RAT did the Nuno thing perfectly with the SC though.
    So yeah, that specific iteration of the OCD circuit is, to me, The One with the SV20H and the EVH cab. The only one that came close was the "Barber" Direct Drive clone, but the v1.3 OCD still beat it.
    And having used both the SV and SC intensively, the SV still is my favorite of the two, it's a bit fuller and more complex (while the SC has more cut), which makes sense with channels being in parallel vs the cascaded topology of the SC, and has a dynamic response I prefer.

A volume box only works if you're a gigging guitarist that needs to knock a couple of dBs off to adjust for the room, it definitely doesn't really work if you're shooting for "bedroom volume".

2. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Totally disagree. The little black box is great if you use it properly.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. BlueX

BlueX Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

Interesting, need to try one with my SV20. Maybe a build kit.

4. donwagar

donwagar Well-Known Member

You can probably get decent tone by cutting the volume through the loop, with an EQ or volume pedal or Little Black Box. I tried it with an EQ pedal, EQ set flat just using it for volume cut. It was alright. But IMO if you want the real tone out of the SV you have to attenuate it.

As Johan.b mentioned above, if you are handy, build the attenuator in the Simple Attenuator thread over in the Workbench area. Works great, sounds great, and isn't that expensive.

5. WellBurnTheSky

Musikding in Germany has a kit based around the Aion FX Titan PCB that you can use to build that revision (one of my OCDs actually is one of these kits).
    Here's the kit:
    https://www.musikding.de/Titan-kit
    Here's the Aion page on the project:
    https://aionfx.com/project/titan-legacy/
    and here there's a chart with values for different versions:
    http://effectslayouts.blogspot.com/2016/06/fulltone-ocd.html

One of my OCDs is built on veroboard to v1.3 specs, the other one is an Aion kit that started its like as a v1.4 (with a charge pump to power it with 18v from a 9vdc in) and was quickly modded to v1.3 (still with the charge pump), I built a 3rd one for a friend on perfboard, to v1.3 specs as well, the 1st and 3rd sound identical, the Aion kit is almost the same. Note that I think a huge part of why I prefer the v1.3 is because it's the one with symmetrical clipping (v1.4 and later use asymmetrical clipping), which I always prefer.

Mitchell Pearrow and BlueX like this.
  6. hpharley90

hpharley90 Active Member

Get a heavy sleeping bag and hang it over the cab. Peel back some enough so speakers can breath a little and keep volume controlled...
    I might have to try this....

edit.
    I dislike attenuators. I've tried two. I sent them right back. I should have more patience.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2021
    lespaulsg and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My choice would be an attenuator, I use one with my SC20 for home playing and it works great.

There are all kinds of really good attenuators out there in all price ranges. From around $200 to around $1500, the more expensive ones have all kinds of other features besides attenuating.

There are attenuators virtually for every budget, just gotta decide how much you’re willing to spend and do the research. :cool:

Btw, Welcome to the Marshall Forum.
    :cheers:

lespaulsg and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  8. BlueX

Welcome to MF! I use Weber MiniMASS (attenuator) between my SV20H and the cab, and it works great. Seems to be quite popular. I imported it myself from the US to Europe without problem (but with taxes).

Thanks, I will check this out!

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome:
    To The Forum

lespaulsg likes this.
  10. lespaulsg

lespaulsg Member

thank you to everyone for the feedback! UPS delayed my package from friday until today (monday) so my sv20h should be in today! I've got my george l gold jumper and a couple of gibsons on standby, ready to rock

i also have a couple of other heads, so I decided going the attenuation route would be the way. I got the bugera power soak and also had my eye on the weber mini mass 50w. Ive read good things about these 2 attenuators (in this thread) but when i contacted weber, they recommended getting the weber mass 100w and that they wouldn't use the 50w mini on the sv20h. Seems like sales hyperbole, but their website does mention having 4x more attenuation wattage than the amp, so in this case, a 20w sv20 would need a 100w weber?

I think maybe theyre just trying to upsell me?

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  11. BlueX

This is strange. When I bought my MiniMASS (directly from Weber) I got excellent support, and recommendations to use the MiniMASS 50 W for a 20W Marshall amp.

Did you mention other amps, maybe some 50W amps? I think the recommended limit for MiniMASS is 35W. (or they have a supply issue with MiniMASS)

lespaulsg likes this.
  12. lespaulsg

lespaulsg Member

thats a good point - i did mention other amps, but none are much higher than the sv20 - a 15w orange or15 and a 22w drri, maybe thats why?

13. BlueX

Seems like a misunderstanding, on Weber's part. It still says "Designed for use with 35w amplifiers and lower" on their web page. If you get in contact with them again, it would be interesting to hear arguments why you should use a 100W attenuator for a 20W amp.

lespaulsg likes this.
  14. lespaulsg

lespaulsg Member

[​IMG]

i didnt realize the difference from youtube videos but this sv20h is something else. Im just hitting the front with xotic sl drive and its so good. It feels like theres just more depth to the sound? maybe more mids? I'll keep playing with it and a/b'ing but its a noticeable difference

the high treble channel kills my ears tho damn :)

15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

WELCOME TO THE FORUM
    Nice looking stable of amps my friend
    :agreed:

Mitch

lespaulsg likes this.
  16. WellBurnTheSky

Congrats, killer amp collection ! And yes, the SV is a marvelous amp, sounds and feels just right.

Since you have both the SV20 and OR20, quick question: is the SV louder ? I'm thinking of getting an OR20 to go along my SV and be both my backup amp and the 2nd side of a stereo rig...

Mitchell Pearrow and lespaulsg like this.
  17. jenfi

jenfi New Member

Hi!!

I play this amp with the trebble channel at 8 with a -6db attenuator and i haven't more headroom to play solo (with a clean boost in the loop).
    Some solutions to solve this problem ? i have seen post on the JHS black amp box ?

thx for your help

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to the forum!

I've had some success using the LBB in the loop along with a clean boost (like an Electro-Harmonix LPB-1). Set the LBB to no more than 75% and you should be able to get a bit of a volume boost. A better solution is to get a Bad Cat Unleash reamplifier, which has 2 channels and you can set one of the channels to a higher volume and control with a foot pedal.

19. WellBurnTheSky

Using an EQ pedal to boost mids a bit (a little goes a long way) works better than "brute force" clean boost to get a solo boost with the SV, in my experience. I've used both the Boss GE-7 and the Source Audio Programmable EQ for this (both in a live setting) and both do the job well, but pretty much any EQ pedal would work.

mad5066 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I like the BadCat Unleash, which not only attenuates/re-amps, but has 2 foot-switchable volume levels (rhythm/lead). It's the only solution I've found that effectively does the job, and works great with non-master volume amps up to 50 watts.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2021