>

The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I just picked up a new Unleash V2. The idea of getting a wet/dry setup with this using an extension cabinet sounds very intriguing. And the 2 channel attenuation is a no-brainer, too.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and tce63 like this.
  2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Cool, hope it meets your expectations. Since getting the Unleash, I play through my SV20 much more. Used to spend more time on the SC20, but have now done a 180, haven't turned the SC on in a couple of weeks.

3. LoudStroud

LoudStroud Member

I’m currently trying out an SV20 and soon an SC20 to compare. Will see if I prefer one over the other… Or both. So far really like the SV20. Thinking it might be advantageous to have the master volume on the SC20, but the SV20 does a darn good job of giving you that Plexi tone and feel. And I am impressed with the 5W setting, which likely will be what I’ll end up using for live. Seems plenty loud enough with a 212 cab.

At the beginning of this long thread I saw a lot of folks complaining or worried about the fact that the amp is cathode biased vs fixed, which I’m finding favorable. The amp does a great job of recreating that “punch in the chest” tight feel, but with the extra compression and sustain afforded by the cathode bias.

I noticed the amp sounded a little crispy when I tried it through its matching cabinet in the music store. Could be the speakers and amp have not had a chance to break in. I’m running the SV20 through a 212 silver Jubilee cabinet loaded with early 70s G12H-30 greenbacks with Pulsonic cones, which have a much smoother top end. It is doing the trick. Sounds very “plexi.” Eventually will get into trying with newer Celestion’s. G12T-75s or 65W Celestion’s may be a good match for this amp...both use the 1777 lead cone, but tend to have a smoother top end.

Has anyone else tried different speakers with the SV20?

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  4. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I've tried greenback, creamback65, G12T75, they all sound good with the SV20H. Currently looking for a creamback75 to try with it. :yesway:

Whats great about the amp is you control how bright or dark your tone will be by simply jumpering the channels and dialing your tone how you want. :yesway:

5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Yes, I've tried G12T75s, G12M25s (newer UK-made ones), G12H30 Anniversaries, Mesa V30s (in a Mesa 4x12) and V-Types. My favorite by quite a large margin are the G12Hs (which I have in my EVH closed back 2x12) followed by the V-Types (the Divided by 13 open back 2x12 with an Anni and a V-Type sounded great), then (believe it or not) my 80s UK-made G12T75s, then the G12Ms (didn't like the top end grind on these, sound fine with the DSL100 though), then dead last (and frankly horribly ear-piercing with that amp) the Mesa V30s.
    And I do like clear but smooth top end, tight bottom end and full mids (without too much of a high mids bump).

6. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Hi Pedecamp!
    I just bought a Strat Custom shop 55 ... indeed, jumping the channels and set normal and bright on 7 is perfect :)

Mitchell Pearrow, pedecamp and ken361 like this.
  7. LoudStroud

LoudStroud Member

Awesome. Great to hear you like the G12H Anniversary with this amp, My longtime favorite go-to speaker. Will try today, along w a G12T-75.

Have also heard good reports on the recent issue Celestion G12H-150 Redback. Super high wattage rated speaker, but another friend who’s way into G12H’s speaks highly of it and uses for club playing.

Also hearing the “V”s do break in with time with the top end smoothing out a bit. Did you find that with yours?

Next question will be whether to go with the matching upright 212 cab or the very cool looking SV112. Anyone have thoughts on these? I’ve played through the 212, but have yet to find the 112 in a store to try.

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  8. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why, but at least in my case, I have to play through each amp for a couple of days, before switching to the other, in order to get the full effect of how different they are. When first switching, the new amp can sound "odd", until spending some time with it. After playing through either amp for a couple of days, I get "used to" that sound, and switching back, again sounds "odd". Eventually, I find myself gravitating towards one, over the other. IMO, you can't make either amp sound and feel like the other, which makes sense, as they are different designs.

Mark Collier, Tiboy, tce63 and 2 others like this.
  9. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Well, the V-Type was well broken-in when I played it with my SV, so I can't really tell (the Mesa 4x12 and /13 2x12 are my friend's, and both have been gigged A LOT), but it sounded very good (while the V30 was quite unimpressive tbh).

LoudStroud and tce63 like this.
  10. Benny2112

Benny2112 Active Member

I'm playing through a small, open back 2x12 cabinet with a Celestion G12H and a Vox Alnico Blue. It sounds amazing. I did have a closed back 2x12 with Celestion V30's, but plugged into this at a friend's studio and loved it so much that I bought it from him and got rid of the cab with the V30's. Not that it sounded bad, but the other cab just sounded so much better. I was using different head at that time though. I'm also not usually a fan of open back cabinets, but this thing just has the sound.

11. LoudStroud

LoudStroud Member

Very cool. The G12H and an Alnico Blue is a great combo.

Benny2112, purpleplexi and tce63 like this.
  12. LoudStroud

LoudStroud Member

Today I played the SV20H thru a G12H Anni, G12T-75, G12H-30 75Hz Reissue and a 70's Blackback G12H 75 Hz. All sounded really good and totally usable, but my faves are the Blackback and the Anniversary. I'll be using a single 12 cab for sure for live, especially if on the 20 watt setting. At this point, think I'll end up with two SV20 heads, one set for clean, into a pair of the SV112 cab's, which are really cool looking and love the size.

13. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

I completely agree with this. After switching amps I often wondered why I bought amp 2 as it never seemed to sound good. Then after a day or so I realized what I loved about amp 2. Then comes the existential amp question. Does it exist in my world because I like it, or does it exist because it’s familiar?

14. booh

booh Member

it's because you have too many amps (like me) ;)

Mitchell Pearrow, Tiboy and tce63 like this.
  15. Bill_ll

Bill_ll New Member

Today I had some fun with my SV. I've had this TC Electronic G-System for quite some time. I've never used it to its full potential, just as a midi footswitch for my JMP-1 preamp and a little chorus & verb. So I thought, what if I put the SV's preamp in one of the G's 5 programmable loops? It turned out fantastic! I can also loop my drive pedals and have many presets with the pedals on or off. Also, a friend recommended me to try the work time software for monitoring working hours.
    It's Awesome!

Last edited: May 11, 2021
  16. jaallen

jaallen New Member

17. jaallen

jaallen New Member

Del Rei, tce63 and T.J. like this.
  18. jaallen

jaallen New Member

This may have been brought up, but, I have found this to happen with sympathetic string ring when recording with higher SPL, take some velcro, and wrap the soft half around the neck and strings behind the nut and test.This is why pros use this trick. It will mute string ring at certain resonance of your guitar.

19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Love that White Marshall
    Welcome to the forum
    Cheers
    Mitch

tce63, jaallen and T.J. like this.
  20. jaallen

jaallen New Member

Thank you. They do sound great. Enjoying it immensely!

T.J., tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.