The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Thx brother!

2. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

If it only happens on the A chord the answer is to tune down. Lol. Seriously, I have no idea, but really appreciate the very excellent demo.

3. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Well-Known Member

yeah when you jump it and crank both masters, you can dime the eq and it actually still sounds good, just fat with a lot going on

4. Benny2112

Benny2112 Member

IMG_4627 smaller.jpg

New member here and first post. I just purchased this SV20H last week and thought I would share my thoughts. I did quite a bit of research before buying this and this forum was extremely helpful.

A little background first. I have been playing a long time. I released my first album in 1986 and my most recent in May 2020. I had a small box 50W plexi with a Marshall 8x10 cabinet that I bought when I was still in high school. That thing was a beast (Dimebag Darrell tried to buy it from me once when opening for Pantera. Funny story, but that's a different conversation). It was ridiculously loud and of course I had to run it at 11 to get the tone. And the tone was amazing. Unfortunately I had to sell it around 15 years ago due to family issues at the time. I have been trying (unsuccessfully) to get that tone back ever since. So when I saw the Studio Vintage come out I was intrigued. Plus, being older now and still playing shows (at least pre-Covid) it seemed like a perfect fit with my downsized rig.

So when I first got it, I took it to our rehearsal space and hooked it up. First impressions, this thing is LOUD! Even at the 5W setting it was really loud. But the problem is, there is really no actual volume control. It basically goes from low and thin, to rip your face off, with not much in between. After about 3 or 4 on the volume control you're just adding gain. I was under the assumption that 20W would be more manageable, but I was wrong. We rehearse pretty loud, but this was still going to be too much. And not too many shows happen without a soundman telling me to turn down, regardless of what amp I'm using. So volume control is a must. On top of this, I was struggling to dial in a tone that was really making me happy. I had a few days before the next band rehearsal, so I figured I would see what could be done about the volume control situation and if I couldn't get it figured out to my satisfaction, I would (sadly) send it back.

I skipped most of the conversations about attenuators on this thread, as I did not think it would be needed. I was not planning on playing this at low volume. I didn't want to (and couldn't) spend a few hundred dollars on a decent attenuator, so I decided to go with the JHS Little Black Amp Box. I was worried about loss of tone with the volume control, as on my old Marshall, as soon as you backed it off of 10, it just wasn't the same. If this didn't work, it was all going back. In fact, I was preparing myself for that scenario.

So on rehearsal night, I got the LBAB hooked up and it was just what the doctor ordered. I got the volume control I needed. After getting that figured out I was then able to dial in a tone that made me extremely happy. I think I have the LBAB set at a little over halfway or so for rehearsal, but I have the ability to back it down some at gigs if needed. Does it sound exactly the same as full volume? Of course not, but it still sounds fantastic and I don't feel like the tone is lacking at all. I would not recommend the LBAB for bedroom volume levels. It is not an attenuator. Once you get it that low, you will lose most of the mojo. I am still playing very loud. But if you need some actual control of the volume with your SV20 at gig/band practice levels, then this is highly recommended. Especially for the price.

I also saw some conversations here about noise levels with the SV20. Mine with pedals off is pretty quiet. My old Marshall was much, much noisier than this. And I also don't miss picking up random AM radio stations! Lol! Of course adding any kind of overdrive/distortion pedals will add some noise of their own. I have also found that turning the Presence knob up will add some noise in, but I keep mine around 3 or so and it's just fine.

So all in all I am pretty happy with this purchase. Does it sound exactly like my old 50W small box? No. But with that I was using a closed-back 8x10 cab at full volume and now I'm using a small open-back 2x12 at reduced volume, so not quite a fair comparison. However, a lot of what I missed with that old Marshall, that I was unable to get with any other amp, is back. I'm also playing a little different style than I was back then, so that factors in as well.

Sorry for the long first post, but wanted to share my experience with this, as all of your experiences have helped me tremendously. Thanks!

rolijen, T.J., KelvinS1965 and 10 others like this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Welcome on the MF and congrats on the amp !
    And my experience with the SV and the volume box is exactly the same, it's absolutely fine for a gigging guitarist that wants some control over his volume but doesn't need to go down to bedroom levels. And yeah, wonderful amp, it's just THAT tone. Super quiet (IF your rig around it is quiet) and takes pedals like no other amp (except its bigger siblings of course). And the feel...
    (also I keep the Presence pot low as well)

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Del Rei like this.
  6. Del Rei

Del Rei Well-Known Member

Tried the loop on the SV20 today... Really good. No volume drop as the SC20H.... Interesting...

@Benny2112
    Nice, man. Welcome and congrats on the new bad boy! \o/
    And, yeah, I think they're quiet amps too. I had no problem at all.

7. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

First off. Welcome

Second, if your 2x12 has stereo option, you can plug into the stereo jack and use it as a 1x12, leaving the other speaker idle. It'll cut volume a bit and you might get to taste a little more of the power tube magic..
    That's what I've done.. going between 5 and 20 watts, 1 or 2 speakers I've been able to find sweet spots in almost any band situation..5 watt 1x12 is still not bedroom friendly thou
    J

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  8. Benny2112

Benny2112 Member

Thanks for the welcome and the suggestions.

What dirt pedals (if any) is everyone using with the SV20? Right now I've been using a Joyo Sweet Baby and then a Boss SD-1 for solo boost. Seems to work pretty well.

BlueX, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  9. ST035

ST035 Member

Is SV20 inherently bright and shrill (if plugged into left Hi input) - like Origins are?

tce63 likes this.
  10. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I bet you play with single coils right? Like a Strat? Its your guitar thats bright and shrill not the amps you plug into!

11. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

That sounds like string chirp behind the nut to me.

12. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

Basically yes. Thats the way the Super Lead was and this is a copy of it. There's ways to deal with it!

Mitchell Pearrow and ST035 like this.
  13. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

I think the effects loop is awesome, very quiet, much better than on my dsl40cr........I notice some pedals that normally would suck tone (stereo memory man for instance) don’t. Very clean sounding!

Del Rei likes this.
  14. ST035

ST035 Member

you guess it only partly - single coils which I play are somewhat muddy and underpowered compared to any single coil (even Squier stock ones) >> Dimarzio HS-3s

15. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    Nice amp and review.
    Cheers

Del Rei likes this.
  16. BlueX

BlueX Member

I like Boss BD-2 or JRAD Archer (or both stacked) in front of the SV20H. When I can play loud I prefer the guitar directly into the amp, though. I usually jump the channels.

Mitchell Pearrow and Del Rei like this.
  17. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Obviously guitar-dependant, but I really like the OCD. Also, any TS (especially the OD-1), the Guvnor and the Barber Direct Drive. For boosts, I like FET-based boosts (I have a Lovepedal Delux 60 clone that sounds very good with the SV and a Strat) and the Echoplex preamp circuit (any variation).

Hmm, Plexi and HS-3s ? Jumper inputs, use (surprise !!) a DOD 250, wire a tone pot to your bridge tone, and you'll be fine. There's a certain guitar player that gets a pretty amazing tone that way ;) But he's a monster player (and a Viking, but that's besides the point),so there's that...

18. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

You dime the volume controls no. Then your only problem is what to do with all the volume. (Clue - as mentioned above - JHS little black box).

19. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

For anyone interested, I just saw a used V1 Unleash on Reverb for $275, which works pretty well with the SV20. Don't see them listed often.

20. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

Just an FYI, the best boost I have found (and I've tried a few) into the SV20H is the boost in the deluxe memory man (1100tt in my case) in the loop...............works really well..........sounds great, can also work as a volume attenuator. Just the right amount of push!

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.