The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. rxb

rxb New Member

That Buxom Boost is looking like it may be just what I'm looking for after watching a few demos, thank you :dude:

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Funny, yesterday I spent the day at my friend's (who's a pretty smoking player), I brought my SV20H and about 20 pedals, we played them through his two cabs (Mesa 4x12 with V30s and Divided by 13 open back 2x12 with G12H30 and V-Type), and A/Bed the SV with his /13 RSA13 and Vox AC30 (he also has a Bogner Shiva, but we didn't even plug it in), and his guitars (mainly his hardtail Custom Shop Strat and his Gibson Midtown, which is kind of a smaller-body 335, great guitar)...and amongst all the pedals we played, the Morning Glory clone I built actually was his least favorite (though he'd been curious about Bluesbreaker clones for quite a while) !

First of all, we really didn't like the V30s with the Mesa 4x12, it had this annoying high-mids thing that I hear in all V30s and that's super fatiguing. The SV sounded absolutely stellar in the /13 cab though ! Which is quite unsurprising, as I love the G12H30 in my EVH cab, and the V-Type is what's in the SV212.

Of all the pedals we tested (both with my usual settings of both volumes on 7 and with the amp set mostly clean, ie Normal channel around 3-4 and High Treble very low), our favorites were my OCD v1.3 clone (both as a boost and as a standalone OD), the EP Pre (it's basically the EP-4 preamp section), my Lovepedal Delux 60 Boost clone (mosfet-based clean boost, sounds very big and fat into a crunchy base tone), my BC108 Fuzz Face (so a silicon fuzz, channels late Jimi perfectly). The Barber Direct Drive clone sounded great as well. Basically, most overdrives and clean boosts worked fine with the SV, just bringing different things to the table.
    The distortions sounded fine as well, but as he's more of a funk/bues player, he was less into them (he liked the Guvnor clones though and kinda wants one now).

My v1 Marvel Drive clone also sounded great in front of the clean SV, pretty close to the same amp pushed into crunch (it's basically the exact same circuitry as a Superlead preamp up to the EQ section, replacing the tubes with FETs). Interestingly (but I wasn't in the least surprised, as that's something I've been thinking for years), the Marvel Drive into the AC30 sounded NOTHING like an overdriven Marshall. And of course, conversely the Wampler Cranked AC clone into the SV didn't really sound like an overdriven AC30...but was really close to the real thing when used in front of the AC30 set clean. Go figure ;)

Also...an hour after I had left, he was posting the Divided by 13 RSA for sale. He was amazed about how good the SV sounds, how dynamic and fun to play it is (being able to go from clean-ish to fully overdriven with the amp up AND a pedal in front, when using the Strat's controls and playing dynamics), and how the price is just ridiculous for what you get. Plus the weight is a huge plus (he's a full-time gigging player, so his gear gets moved a lot). But hey, ever since I got the SV, I'd been telling him that's an amp he'd love and that would fit his playing perfectly...which it is. I guess it's only a matter of time before he gets one too...

So yeah, super fun day, reinforced some opinions I had about gear, allowed us to test quite a few setups and scenarios, and I made a new convert to the cult of the mighty SV20H ;) What's not to love ?

3. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

Cool info. Sounds like a fun time. And you can't go wrong with an SV20. Like many, I suppose, I'll run nothing in front of my SV20H. When I do, I like the Morning Glory, but only as a clean boost. Gain knob is way down. Gain toggle is on low. I really don't like it much on high. More than half the time I'm using a Morning Glory, I have another pedal, or two, between it and the amp. I find it almost like a fat switch for whatever pedal I put behind it. Like a Shaffer Replica Classic, or a Friedman Buxom Boost. Since it's already the plexi sound, and I don't do metal, only 70's-ish classic rock, and blues, I don't need much color.

I've got an octave pedal for some ZZ Top tones, and one Germanium Fuzz if I need fuzz.

Of course, there's no right and no wrong, only what sounds and feels good to you, the player.

Glad you converted someone else to the SV20H. I hope he likes LOUD!

Cheers!

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

My favorite pedal for getting a crunchier rhythm from the SV0 (or the SC20) is an Xotic BB Pre. I also like the Friedman Golden Pearl, which works well for rhythm or lead, but I use it more for lead stuff.

tce63 likes this.
  5. WellBurnTheSky

Oh yeah he does like it LOUD ! But he was amazed at how it can sound good and feel good aven at a usable volume...
    He has a good attenuator too, but also liked the results we got with a simple volume box (he's not into the "everything on 10" tone anyway).

Regarding pedals, the way I see it, they're like seasoning on a dish. If you have a really good material to work with (which the SV is), strategically adding a few effects take it from good to amazing. Though too much effects can ruin your tone (unless you're talking The Edge/Andy Summers, but even them have excellent base tones), just as too much seasoning can spoil the meat's taste, but conversely no seasoning at all could taste a bit plain and unspectacular. Plus some spices won't work for some (or for some dishes, or the dish won't work in the context of the whole meal), so just as with seasoning, the key to effects is to know how to use them tastefully ;)
    But it all starts with a great base tone. Good guitar, good amp, good player.

6. marshallmellowed

Picked up a used Bad Cat Unleash locally to try with the SV20. Not a huge fan of re-amping devices, but it doesn't sound bad, and works really well for getting a good solo boost, while retaining the power amp distortion.

7. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I plugged into the low output/jumpered with the les Paul might like it better round fat plexi tones! My strat going strait in the 1 output sounded great and spanky jumped can get congested thats what the pros did back then I guess:)

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  8. ShatteredVitreous

ShatteredVitreous Well-Known Member

Well mine arrives on Wednesday, can't wait to try it out

9. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

The intro where he flips everything to 10. I don't run the bass up that high, i use high treble and everything else is dimed but that is a great plugged straight in sound with the right guitar. My Les Paul, that's a bit much set like that but my Flying V gets that grind he had. Especially gets all the built in distortion the amp has. And, it still cleans up.

I've had an Unleash for years. I bought the thing to up the volume of my 50ths. It's had an on/off switch issue for a while so i have been hesitant to use it. I have a switch ordered. I've been curious how it would sound with my SV20H. I had some mixed results. I got a really good sound with my JCM1 but the JMP1 was ehh for example. The one amp that actually was the winner was a Class 5H. Either way, i really liked having post amp time based effects. That was always the glaring improvement. Nothing wrong with a traditional amp loop but using the Unleash's loop took on a studio/desk feel to delay and just was clearer sounding. Any slight modulation that may come with a particular echo seemed more noticeable. Plus, my 10 Band EQ worked very well there before those effects.

Interested in what you think about it. Hopefully I'll have a new switch in a few days.

10. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

My SV needs a repair. Marshall are only 60 miles up the road. They are a joy to deal with, and repair whilst u wait. But Covid means I can't go in to deliver. So having to play largely clean at the mo. They would collect but I want to take the cab in as well just incase the problem is the speaker.

Can't wait to get it back on form.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Are u a chef as well as a great musician?

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  12. WellBurnTheSky

Hehe not at all. Though for us froggies, food definitely is a big part of life, so there is that ;)

13. marshallmellowed

I'll let you know, just used it for a short period of time so far. Question, does your fan run continuously, or only come on after the unit gets warm?

14. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

It's been so long since I've used it. I want to say continuously.

15. marshallmellowed

Got to spend a couple of hours messing with the SV20 and Bad Cat Unleash combination today. For me, this is the only way to go, as far as getting the most from a non-master volume amp and still getting a decent solo volume boost, without sacrificing the power amp saturation characteristics. It also made me realize that cranking any small amp into a passive attenuator is not ideal, because you have no headroom left for a solo boost. Having the option to switch between 2 preset levels, with the lower level leaving some headroom for a volume boost works perfectly. Anyway, liking the Unleash with the SV.

This guy's a bit silly, but gives you an idea of the advantages of the Unleash...

Last edited: Mar 11, 2021
    Mitchell Pearrow, scozz, T.J. and 3 others like this.
  16. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

You know what pisses me off? An amp that rips and your phone mic kills it. 5 watts. Troubled Marshall.

17. solarburnDSL50

18. solarburnDSL50

19. solarburnDSL50

20. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

While back I put a pair of GT mullard reissues in and took them straight back out again. That said I know one of them was giving problems. So I bought some replacements - they're actually for my DSL - and thought I'd put them in the SV. They sound great. As always they're smooth and when you hit the pedal they just wail. Slightly strange thing is that I had to significantly raise the bridge pickup to get the volumes even. Odd. Neck pickup sounds monster though - it tends towards muddy sometimes. I've got that 'can't stop playing it' thing going on.