The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

I just played 15 mns but from what I saw, and at the volume level I will use it, I will hang around 4/5 on high treble and normal volume on the amp, using volume control on my guitar to reach the wright spot .... only my first feelings though :) (pushed everything at 10 with low volume on the JHS, it's feroucious but indeed it's a bit muffled, and it's not the sound I'm looking for anyway).
    First thing is I am plugged back on the high treble high input again (bridged with the high input of normal) ...
    Now it's time to plug my OD808 and reverb, fool around and ENJOY!

2. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

Unless you run clean or semi clean, you might not want to jump the channels... once you get volume up to~8 , you will usually need to cut bass to keep flub out... look at any high gain amp, they all cut a lot of bass early in the circuit to keep things tight. There will still be plenty of lows comming through your speakers. You rarely see any of the old legends plug into anything but bright- high only. jumping is only for YouTube hero's..
    J

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
    tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  3. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Thank you for the tip!
    I learn a lot round here :)

4. purpleplexi

purpleplexi Well-Known Member

Glad you like it. I'm just drowning in plexi loveliness with mine. I sort of can't believe that Marshall got this amp this right. Not dissing Marshall but usually when someone says they've made a dead nuts replica of something it's often close but not quite. M got this dead on. Whoever signed it off I raise my hat to you Sir.

The other thing I like is I play a bit of something from back in the day and it's 'Yes! - that's exactly the tone I've been trying to get for that'. Too easy.

5. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I've been playing since the 80s and had several Marshalls over the years. Not one NMV in the bunch though. I always used something to push the front end on those amps. Not necessarily for more gain but to get a certain top end out of the tone. I struggled with that on every amp. Now that i have the SV20H i no longer feel the need. It has that tone i always wanted without any help. If i had known i could've said i had several NMV by now. I'm completely spoiled now.

6. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Plug into bright channel top input, dime the volume, normal channel off with no jumper. Put all the knobs at 5 and adjust JHS volume to taste, thats your tone! Put your 808 out front to pump up the gain if you want more or dial your guitar volume back if you want clean. :yesway:

What cab and speakers you using? What guitar? If playing with single coils you will want to jumper the channels, put normal on 7 and bright 5-7. :yesway:

Oh yeah one last thing, get rid of the JJ tubes in the amp, took me over a year to do it and the amp sounds so much better. :yesway:

Last edited: Jan 20, 2021
  7. 5stringsdown

5stringsdown Member

What did you replace them with?

tce63 likes this.
  8. pedecamp

You can replace them with ANYTHING just as long as you get rid of those JJ's, I put Ruby EL34 and PM 12AX7 both Chinese tubes. :yesway:

9. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

I have the combo so it's 10" speaker.
    I play a Gibson LP Classic 2019.
    The settings you describe is haw I proceeded (but with the jumper).
    I was wondering changing my amp by the time I wrote my first post here 'cause I felt it was no use struggling to find my tones at low volume anymore.
    As I said, I was away from guitar and gear for so long ... when I came back in, all I wanted was a Gibby and an old school Marshall ... thought of the Origin but I found something was not authentic when I heard it ... but when I heard the SV at the shop, man ... The guy warned me though, that it was a pretty tough animal to play at bedroom volume level but I just did not listen ...
    Frankly I was a bit ashamed to ask for advise on the forum ...
    But I was right.
    I love my amp and will keep it my whole life. Will pass it on to my daughter who loves playing the Ukulele (she's 3) ...
    Thank you again guies! Your advice was precious.

10. pedecamp

So all is good? Gonna keep the amp it sounds like?

One last thing, since its a new amp you gotta break in the speaker for it to sound its best, crank it up now and then and it will break in eventually. Good luck and congrats on the new amp! :yesway:

Mitchell Pearrow and junk notes like this.
  11. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Evrything is good!!!! My approximate rusty fingered Ramble On, Black Dog, Mama Kin ... sound perfect (to me) :) ...
    And yes I will keep it for sure!
    OK I'm gonna crank it up !!!!

12. purpleplexi

Interesting. I replaced the power tubes in mine with GT mullard replicas which I've loved in every amp I've tried them in and I pretty quickly put the originals back in. The GTs sounded too smooth in this amp. Also a combo. I didn't look too close at the originals but I don't think they were JJs. If I decide to poke around in there again I'll check.

13. pedecamp

Thats just me bashing JJ, I dont like them in anything except a DSL50 I once had to tame its brightness. My SV20H had JJ's.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  14. purpleplexi

I'm not normally a JJ fan either. I'm going to check now what they are.....

tce63 likes this.
  15. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Now you lost me guies :p

tce63 likes this.
  16. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

I tried EH which are less bright, tungsols, im fine with the JJ power tubes want to try mullards or Rubys which I liked in the dsl very sturdy tube.

tce63 and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  17. purpleplexi

I put the GT mullard replicas - which I love in the DSL - in the SV and didn't like them. Somehow they took all the plexi-ness away.... I like them in my 50 watt plexi clone but not the SV20. Go figure.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and ken361 like this.
  18. purpleplexi

Power valves. Take my advice and leave them as they are. :dude:

19. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Guys, do I use a speaker cable or instrument cable from the DI out to my focusrite.

I have a load on the amp!

G

20. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

I buy all my tubes from Marshall now. They designed it.