The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

For new, Celestion and Scumback cannot go wrong there! :yesway: Few others sound really good along those lines, like Eminence and Tone Tubby.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and ken361 like this.
  2. Yam the Bomb

Yam the Bomb New Member

Hey guys! 1st post here. I just got a new SV20H last week. Loving it for the most part but having an issue that I wonder if it's normal for the amp. I run it pretty cranked up (usually 3/4 not fully pegged) on both volumes with a jumper on the channels. I have a Fryatte Power Station that I use with it. It sounds amazing that way. BUT if I hit it with any boost pedal at all there is a high pitched very un-musical tone that just starts piercing your ears as soon as I quit playing. And even if I back the volumes way off it still does it.
    My 1st thought was that it might be a bad pre-amp tube (even though I have no knowledge of such things) so I bought a new set (Mesa Boogie brand but same #) and tried those in it. Nope! Exactly the same.
    Next I tried plugging in without jumping the channels together. When I plug into either of the #1 inputs it howls just like when it's jumpered. But I can plug into either #2 input and it doesn't do it.
    Now keep in mind that if I click off the boost pedal it doesn't do it hardly at all. But any boost pedal (even with the pedal drive turned all the way off) it just howls uncontrolably. And I've tried several different pedals (EC boost, OCD, RYRA) All set at the minimum.
    Also if I back the volume off on the guitar a bit when it's doing it, it will stop. But even if I back the volumes on the amp pretty low it will howl if I turn on a pedal. These pedals are plugged into the front of the amp.
    And I have taken the Power station out of it and it still howls. Also I use the power Station with my Mesa Mark V 35 and crank the hell out of it with all types of pedals and no bad noises at all there.
    So...anyone else had this? Can you just not use pedals with this amp?

Andy79, T.J., tce63 and 1 other person like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum
    I have no idea how this happening, I had the privilege of playing my buddy’s amp and did the jumping of the channels with an SD1 in front of the amp, my clip is on here, but there was no howling, have you double checked the cables ??
    Mitch

tce63 likes this.
  4. Yam the Bomb

Yam the Bomb New Member

I’ve tried various cables. Several guitars. Everything I know. It’s really weird because it sounds so good. But that shrieking noise is uncontrollable.

tce63 likes this.
  5. TXOldRedRocker

TXOldRedRocker Senior Discount Member Gold Supporting Member

Wow! Put a set of Fralin Pure PAF's into a Les Paul. First Fralin's I've had. Running it through my pedalboard into my SV20H and 2x12. Sounds fantastic. My pedalboard has a stomp that bypasses the pedalboard and goes straight to the amp. Stomp that, and bam! Les Paul, with Fralin Pure PAF's, 50's wiring with independent volume in the middle selector position, makes for a hell of a fun time. I spent lots of time just finding tones and running with them. I'll be doing that for hours and hours. I highly recommend the Fralin Pure PAF pickups hooked straight into a SV20H.

https://www.fralinpickups.com/product/pure-paf/

6. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I have had my SV20H for about two years now and I can tell you that what you describe doesn’t sound right for this amp. Start looking into sending it back for an exchange if your able to do so. It’s one of the best amps I’ve ever owned.

7. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

First off, congrats on the amp !

I have the SV20H, and previously used DSL100s on stage (I barely if ever plug in at home), and my experience is that, YES, the SV is a bit more prone to uncontrolled feedback than the DSL. Which I'd say is a function of the different voicing and filtering. I definitely have to ride the volume knob a bit more than I needed to with the DSL. Note that I was using a TS9 into the DSL for my high gain tones, and mostly use OCDs with the SV.
    With that said, it's very dependent on both volume and proximity to the amp (as should be expected). And should be expected from that kind of setup, all major players that use Plexis tend to ride the volume knob quite a bit, much more than people using more modern, more filtered, kinds of amps.

Sooo...yeah, kinda. I'd definitely wouldn't say that you can't use pedals with that amp (quite the contrary actually, I haven't used an amp that takes them better), but yeah, boosting the SV into high gain territories does require you to ride the controls more than you might be used to. I for one definitely had to adjust (but the effort was WELL worth the rewards).

Last edited: Jan 12, 2021
  8. Neville

Neville Member

If you haven't already try to run the boost without a power plug. Just use a battery.

9. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Quite simply, I have no such problems. I have a board of 6 or 7 or 8 pedals going in. 4 of which are drives or boosts.

G

10. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Mine was starting to get a little noisy, I went through my entire signal chain and cleaned all of the inputs with deoxit and the issue mostly went away. Proximity to the amp will create more noise but that's about it. Are you running in 5W or 20W mode? 5W mode might contribute to this, as you wouldn't have as much headroom and it would overdrive that much easier. I only run mine in 20W mode with a Weber Mini Mass. I run all of my pedals straight in and use a boost pedal in the loop for a volume boost for leads.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  11. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I don't think anything's wrong with your amp. Back the amp's volumes back a bit if using a pedal. I usually run my high treble around half way at the most and if jumped normal somewhere around there.

Remember, the amp jumps to volume pretty quickly so there's a point where your not gaining volume your just adding tube compression. Balance this with your pedal. From what you described your doing I'd expect mine to feedback like that.

12. Yam the Bomb

Yam the Bomb New Member

Thanks for the suggestions guys. It might just be normal for the amp. But it’s not feedback in any way that I’ve ever gotten feedback. It’s just a shrill ear piercing sound. But I can control it by backing off the guitar volume some and still have enough there that it sounds really good.
    Also I need to see what it does when I step further away from the amp. I have been very close to it the whole time I’ve had it.

13. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Yam

How close r you?

Can you record and upload the sound for our brighter guys to try to diagnose.

G

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  14. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Hello everyone,

Writing from France.
    Back to guitar after a 25 years break ... with a Gibson LP Classic 2019 and my teens dream, a Marshall plexi ... SV20C.
    I have a hard time with my amp settings to get a nice crunch at low volume ...
    This might seem a silly question but anyone here runs the same guitar/amp combo and could help me out?
    I tried quiet every combinations with normal/high treeble jumpers ... :/

Thanks for your help!

15. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Yam, I have a similar experience. Treble at 4 Normal at 2 when jumping. Riding the volume and tone controls alleviates the problem for me. Lowering the volume on the pedals helps a lot. Interestingly my Clapton Strat with Noiseless pick ups is fine even with the volume knob at 10.

16. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

To get the great Plexi Chrunch at home you will need a attuenator with the SV20 series, I have a Weber Mini Mass 50 and it works great.

And :welcome: to the forum.

Cheers :cheers:

17. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

Thank you very much !!!!!

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and tce63 like this.
  18. Yam the Bomb

Yam the Bomb New Member

I will make a video today to show what I mean. I did try getting further away from the amp to see if that lessened it. It did not. Even across the room it didn't stop it one bit.

tce63 likes this.
  19. Steph#67

Steph#67 Member

That means being able to use my amp 20W, with volumes set at 4 ???? :)
    Never experienced attenuators ...

tce63 likes this.
  20. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yes, you can put everything at 10 and still dial in low volume.

I have 2 Weber Mini Mass 50, one for my SC20H and one for my SV20H.

But you NEED to use Speaker Cables between the amp, attuneator and CAB, NOT guitar cables :)

2020-10-01 14-25-11.jpg