The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Never really associated EVH with "infinite sustain". Feedback yes, but he played with fairly low gain, at least in the "best" periods (VH1 & VH2 era).

2. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

I saw him like on the Live: Right Here, Right Now tour, which was the first tour he used his then-new Peavey 5150s, and he was constantly at the edge of uncontrolled feedback, and constantly riding his volume knob.
    Plus if you listen to isolated tracks of the 1st album, it's actually quite a bit gainier than you'd expect, especially for the late 70s. Probably because of the variac/load/reamp/Echoplex/GEQ shenanigans.
    Like here:

3. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

On a more serious note than my last flippant comment(so sad that he's now gone),these very top players & he was probably the best,are just incredible beyond description,i had the luck & in my opinion the honour of actually watching him from a few feet on stage side at Donnington when they where on with AC/DC & he was amazing & to be fair Angus Young was about 98% as amazing.
    I also hope he doesn't rest in peace,i hope he's carrying on at a higher level,imagine him with Jack Bruce & Neil Peart :D.
    Please excuse my old arse ramblings, i just wanted to say a word about Eddie & don't get on with RIP threads,i'm to near there.
    :band:

4. marshallmellowed

Yeah, I've heard those isolated tracks, sounds more like amp cranked than heavy gain to me, perception.

5. WellBurnTheSky

Yes definitely, but if you compare it to this (which Steve Stevens said was just his LP into his '67 Plexi, that Vai also used on parts of Eat 'Em And Smile btw):

There's definitely way more grind and compression on the VH track (very obvious on the lead parts of both tracks). Which is the reason why back then (from what I heard, I was a toddler when VH1 released) people couldn't believe it was a Plexi delivering these tones. Especially with a Strat and a PAF plugged into it. Hence the rumours of modded amp, etc.
    Now we know it indeed wasn't just a cranked stock Plexi, but that the Variac, re-amping, Echoplex and GEQ played a role in that too.
    Which is why I was saying that yeah, a NMV Marshall will get you there, but definitely not by itself. And of course volume plays its part in the equation.

Yet I agree that perceived saturation plays its part, and you always record with way less of it than people may think. Which is obvious in the way his tone cleans up when he rolls off his volume pot (you won't get that kind of response with a gained-out amp or pedal).

So let's agree the truth is somewhere in the middle, shall we ? ;)

tce63 likes this.
  6. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Also, those low wattage speakers he used that got pushed to their limits added to that grind.

7. marshallmellowed

Certainly, I think we agree on the "perception" part, things are not always as they appear, or in this case "sound".

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  8. Biff Maloy

Listening to isolated tracks like that goes to show most good rock guitar tones have very little low end. And what low end is there is a natural occurrence from a lot of volume and speakers being pushed. Especially in those older Marshalls.

9. marshallmellowed

Exactly. Can't get this point through to our other guitarist, he always has too much low end dialed into his sound. Little does he know, I just pull it out when I mix his channel with the rest of the band. I don't feel too bad about it, he's still a happy camper with his amp dialed the way he likes it.

10. WellBurnTheSky

To be fair, guitar players aren't even the worst offenders on that matter, keyboard players are way worse, often insisting on covering the whole 20hz-20kHz spectrum, with gobs of overwhelming low end that have to be shaved off to be even remotely usable. We gigged on Friday night (feels GOOD to be in front of people, especially these days) and our soundguy had that discussion with the keyboard player about how for some songs he had to filter out lots of low end for him to not generate insane rumble in the subwoofers and not obliterate the kick and bass, so he might as well not put them in here in the first place...

11. Mark Baker

Mark Baker New Member

I was looking to add a bypass filter mod with .68uf / none / 330uf with on/off/on switch. I was looking into this because I didn't see a cap near the V2A plate resistor and it sounded like an interesting mod. I compared the components to a 1959SLP schematic that had the .68uf cap. I did find a .68uf cap kind of in between V1 and V2 and since there is a .68uf right over V1, I assume it is for V2A and it seems a little closer to V2A. Did you find out if this amp does have the .68uf bypass cap for V2A? I attached a photo showing the .68uf cap near V2A. There is another one right over V1, so I can only assume this one is for V2A since the 1959SLP schematic didn't show another .68uf cap other than the bypass cap near V2A.

V2a bias bypass.JPG

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  12. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Oh man I hear ya Graham my friend,.....:(

13. ledvedder

ledvedder Active Member

I'm interested in the Studio Vintage. I love the early VH and AC/DC type vibes I'm hearing from it in videos I'm finding. My question is, is it that much better than a DSL, which in half the price? Also, I've read that it's crazy loud, even in 5 watt mode. I gig, but I also need to be able to play it at home. Is it too loud for that?

14. marshallmellowed

Yes, and it depends on what you call "too loud".

15. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

I would say it’s too loud even in 5W mode unless you have a dedicated amp room away from the rest of your cohabitants. That said, a good attenuator or a good distortion pedal will let you use it at bedroom volume.

With mine, I have 30 minutes 3 days a week that I have alone in the house and let it rip, and that makes it worth it!

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. ledvedder

ledvedder Active Member

I do have an attenuator and a dedicated amp room. But I'd also be using it with my band, playing small bar gigs and what not. Does it do early VH and AC/DC tones well. Those are the sounds in my head that I've been dreaming about for years. I've tried many amps, and currently have a DSL40 and an EVH 5150 III 50 watt. Although great amps, they both have more of a modern, saturated voicing. I've also had some folks saying to look at the Dirty Shirley Mini. But that seems similar to my DSL, from the videos I've seen.

17. FleshOnGear

FleshOnGear Well-Known Member

Absolutely does AC/DC, needs a bit of a boost to do VH. Probably a graphic EQ will get you there.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. Biff Maloy

You've already answered most of your questions. The DSL is more modern sounding and you'd like something more vintage. I have the SV20H and use it with some guys. Studio rehearsal type thing right now and I've had no complaints about volume. Home use, it needs some room to breath if you crank it. I use my living room which is decent size but a spare bedroom it's rough on the ears. But, for low volume screwing around a pedal for drive into the normal channel is fine to me. Cranked all i use is a wah, phase 90, tuner and in the loop is an X4 delay.

T.J. and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. unkhunter

unkhunter Member

Howdy. I just ordered an sv20h. Since it’s cathode bias I imagine I’ll end up doing a bit more tube swaps than I usually do. Suggestions please.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  20. _Steve

_Steve Well-Known Member

It IS the AC/DC tone. It's literally the exact same preamp circuit from a 1959 Super Lead that Malcolm & Angus have used most frequently their entire career mated to a superbly designed lower wattage power section that just nails it.

Here is a great page detailing their amps through the years: https://solodallas.com/high-wattage-acdcs-marshall-amps-through-the-years

Im not an EVH fan but from what I understand, his early stuff was also with a Super Lead but running at a lower voltage through a Variac.

I have a full-sized 1959 Super Lead clone that I built, and really theres almost nothing between it and the SV20 other than the SV20 being way more usable. They hit it out of the park with this one.

PMJ, Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and 3 others like this.