The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. JazzyPar

JazzyPar New Member

Hi All. I’ve had this amp for almost 6 months and I love it. I had decided I wanted a plexi and decided on an amp and started saving. Well the amp I was going to buy kept going up in price so I started looking for other options. Someone asked Dan and Mick (from TPS) what they thought about the SV20H they basically said they couldn’t look into every amp out there (plus they have a 1987X). Well, I was interested and I started watch a lot of video’s and then pulled trigger – No buyer’s remorse here. I actually found this thread, and enjoyed reading it all, while I was waiting for delivery.

So here’s a question – Has anyone tried a Variac with this amp?

2. Drakulie

Drakulie New Member

If you have a chance to get your hands on a Sabbadius funky vibe, try one out thru this amp. Absolutely delicious sounding and the pre-amp boost in the pedal takes the amp to another level.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  3. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:welcome: To the forum
    Congratulations on your amp score.
    They are indeed a great amp, but I cannot answer your question on the Variac .
    Cheers
    Mitch

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  4. JazzyPar

JazzyPar New Member

Thanks Mitch

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  5. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Just curious, what would be your goal? You have an amp that's already running the output tubes at lower voltages than your average EL34 based amp.

scozz, WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  6. JazzyPar

JazzyPar New Member

Well I think you know the answer. Sag. This amp does everything I could ask of it. Classic rock AC/DC, Led Zeppelin, ZZ Top even Floyd (list goes on). Now if I could get a touch of sag. I currently can't crank it so I won't know if I could get it to sag then. But obviously it won't with my Fryette PS-2.
    So I was just curious if anyone has tried it and had anything to share about their experience... good or bad.

tce63 likes this.
  7. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

You will definitely feel more "sag" or compression (not much difference between the "feel" of the two) with the amp cranked. I would suggest a good attenuator, vs. a Variac.

8. Fanhs

Fanhs New Member

Hello, im owner of sv20c and i really love it when came to my hands, use it with soul food, ocd, od808 and a lot of effects in FX loop, i bought the sv20 in beggin of summer and actually playing all the time out of my house in 5 watts mode! :agreed:... (yard, garden, mini live events) Ι was thinking when the winter will arrived what im gonna do? with this monster inside my home its tooo loud to play my ozzy, acdc, LZ, and other heavy rock riffs... (20 watts omg :flex:)Im sure for bedroom levels without attenuator there is no way. So i've start looking for some attenuators and need some help, also i have read the previous pages for some more informations.
    First off all, i never have use an attenuator, but from that i read reactive attenuators are more quality (cuz cost more $$), for a lot of users this is not so true and resistive are better for some others...
    My budget ends in 800euros where we meet ToneKing Ironman 2 and i think its good selection together with rivera rockcrusher (?) Also im waiting for your's choices and opinions reactive and resistive attenuators every price not under 800 euros!

9. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Im looking myself I have using it for almost 2 years the SVC and SC combos my Fender deluxe is more louder so im looking to tame that. Weber Mini Mass are popular, the Toneking looks good also. Everyone has there opinions some good and some not:( Bugera has one cheap.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2020
    Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  10. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Weber Mini Mass 50 as @ken361 says are great, I have 2, one for my SV20H and one for my SC20H.
    Works great and have a nice price :)

11. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

really find it beneficial with the SC even though it has a master?

12. tce63

Yes i do, I can have the MV higher and i think it´s sounds much better, but i don´t need to attenuate as much as for SV20h

13. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Weber Mini Mass 50. Can’t go wrong here.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  14. Fanhs

Fanhs New Member

thx all, but from where i can order the Weber mini Mass and how much it cost?

tce63 likes this.
  15. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Order direct or check Reverb.com

16. Fanhs

Fanhs New Member

I find it in the official website, but why so cheap in relation with others??

Attached Files:

tce63 likes this.
  17. tce63

I really don´t know about the price, but every unit are Built to order

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  18. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

The Weber Minimass works great, sounds phenomenal imo. I‘m not sure why it’s inexpensive, (not cheap,...cheap connotes cheaply made, and it’s not that). They are hand made in the U.S., one by one as the orders come in.

I believe @ken361 is correct when he says you can only buy them direct from Weber or from Reverb. You can spend hundreds and hundreds of dollars on other attenuators that do much more than just attenuate.

The Weber Minimass just attenuates your amps volume to allow you to crank the power tubes and play without losing your hearing.

It does have some nice features though, you can use a Minimass with 4, 8, and 16 ohm. It has a two position toggle switch for treble boosts, +3db and +6db, which is quite handy because attenuating an amplifier can cause a slight drop in high end. These boosts restore whatever high end is lost.

I highly recommend the Weber Minimass.

19. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

:yesway: Or, an attenuator.

20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Sorry Junk, sometimes I’m a bit thick and get things wrong, so..... You’re not implying that the Minimass is not an attenuator are you?