The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm going to sort out the speaker i'm using before changing my Amp(ORI20H),it may well be that my EV loaded Mesa cab is not the best match up for the ORI,so i'm going to test a few cabs at my local dealer(hopefully).
    It's pretty clear that the SV is a big step up from the ORI in terms of sound quality & feel,but it still is only 20 watts,although it does seem that they may be those louder watts ;) .

2. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

To make sure I'm understanding, are you saying you had too much low end? I can't imagine having too much low end with a Marshall, at least that couldn't be easily dialed out.

3. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I had more low end with less highs there than what I'd gotten accustomed to in the 3 short weeks or so since i got the SV. But, in past experiences my amps just about always sound a little different elsewhere than in my house. My living room is big, tall ceilings and hardwoods. Very bright with a hint of natural reverb. This room we were in was very dampened, no ambience and nothing seemed as loud and piercing as things could've been. My Les Paul is on the dark end as well.

It's not a panic thing or anything like that. I was just expecting more top end cut than i got but I'd never been to this place. I have a better idea for next time. Those anniversaries, i like them and then i don't has been the norm for me. I have others.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  4. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

At my house tile floor amps are brighter my girls friends basement carpeted floor and a drop ceiling has more bass and fuller sounding my SV combo sounded great over the weekend. Should try one of these https://www.perfectcircuit.com/aura...P9fnezhFMOtwikJCba40crkqvQH_H2KhoCNDoQAvD_BwE

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  5. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Think the JJ power tubes are sorta dull, EH sound good with my amps

WellBurnTheSky likes this.
  6. Graham G

Hi Biff,when I've mentioned my concerns about the SV being loud enough,this is the sort of experience which gives me concern.
    For instance when I use the ORI20 in our practice space,which is just a great building for Guitar sound,i can run the ORI on 10Watt mode with the D & B playing at what seems like gig volume,then to give a couple of recent gigging scenarios,last weekend we gigged consecutive nights,Friday was a very unusual gig for us in a largish covid friendly room(250 people seated size)but only half full,with a big spaced out stage & thr ORI was more than enough.
    Then Saturday we played one of our "normal" pub gigs(very covid unfriendly)with about 80-100 people crammed in,tiny "stage" area with my ORI buried in the corner,all heavily carpeted & the ORI was lost,but with micing up the crowd could hear it but I couldn't & that was with me fumbling with overdrive/boost pedals in a HXFX.
    Hard to guess how an SV20 would do in the same situation.

The wackiest device I've seen for giving consistent sound is the DEEFLEX screen that Thomas Blug promotes,it seems to work great,but I can't bring myself to spend that much on a piece of plastic.

ken361 likes this.
  7. Biff Maloy

Are you running 4CM with HXFX? I have a Line 6 Helix. Ultimately I've never stayed sold on that as i think the amp looses dynamics. I just went through my last phase with it on my 20H before i sold the Origin. I had the same results with my 2525H and DSL20HR. For live use i keep things streamlined and I just prefer dedicated pedals. I don't use much anyway.

Yeah, it's always an eye opener setting up somewhere new or how your tone can be perceived so differently from one place to the next. I never had an issue being heard Sunday. I do want to reinforce that it wasn't the amp as much as that room was just neutral and seemed to absorb volume. I took ear plugs. Even though i had the SV on 6 or more volumes wise with everybody else at that level i never felt a need to use the plugs. This place had the typical multichannel board control room separate with a glass view into the recording area where we were just like any pro studio. I have several cabinets and Celestions for these reasons. I'm thinking open back next time.

It's hard to say. The SV20H is loud enough to cover just about any of my scenarios and is a cut above the Origin and this is a guy that enjoyed the Origin for what it was.

Maybe some additional cabinet configurations to add to your arsenal? In some cases an open back comes across as more filling and balanced than a closed back which can be very directional.

8. Graham G

No I just plugged it into the Guitar input,i wouldn't know where to start with 4cm.
    I honestly wouldn't know if it sucks tone or not,i've only used it a couple of times on gigs & I have no experience with Pedals to compare it to,i try a pedal occasionally but always end up unplugging them & going straight into the Amp,i bought the HXFX used & will probably sell it on.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    Sustainium and Biff Maloy like this.
  9. marshallmellowed

Sounds like you need to get your cab higher off the floor, and if it's a combo, a tilt stand. The rest of the band should be hearing you through their monitors, and you, your cab. You can also add more of your guitar through your monitor, but you have to be careful of feedback (through the monitor).

scozz and WellBurnTheSky like this.
  10. Graham G

What are these monitors that you speak of :D.
    Well sadly as I said in a previous post,we're dealing with a bunch of(well 2)old arses,so I don't think our old school(stuck in the dark ages)way of gigging is going to change,so my amp will have to stay on the floor & be loud enough to hack it with our prehistoric ways.
    i've found that the ORI20 isn't enough for our gigs,so if i buy an SV it has to work in our set up as is,that said I think that to get that cranked plexi sound without deafening people(which a cranked plexi does) is worth working at.
    So I will buy a vertical 2 x 12" cab for my ORI20 & if it works out i'll then go for the SV,the best solution for me will be an SV Combo & the 112 extension cab,as i'm typing this I've realised I've never used a vertical cab nor owned a 4 x 12",but I have very often used 2 x combos(on the floor).
    thanks marshallmellow,now you see what a hopeless case you're dealing with :).
    :band:

tce63 likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

Well, if you're not using a monitor, you must not be singing (just a guess). With no monitor, if you're having trouble hearing yourself, the only solution is to either re-position the existing cab (raise it closer to your ears) or if you don't want to do that, add an extension cab that you can position closer to, or more directed at your ears.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2020
    tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  12. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

Been playing my 2204 exclusively for 2 weeks and finally plugged into the SV20, I was like wow this is just as cool as the 2204! :yesway:

Sustainium, WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  13. Graham G

I've been posting about my concerns about getting gigging enough volume out of the SV,but I've realised I should also have asked about the level of "gain" given my reluctance to use pedals this may be a more important question than volume,so i'd best ask.
    I know some of you guys have upgraded to the SV from the Origin amps,so is the SV capable of more Gain than the Origin? & also how does the amount of gain compare to the SC,i know a few of you have both.
    By amount of gain I mean at whatever volume output that's necessary to give maximum gain.
    Or to put it simpler which of these 3 amps is in the least need of a drive pedal ?.
    Once again thanks for any replies.

tce63 likes this.
  14. Biff Maloy

For someone who said time is short you sure are dissecting the hell out of this "decision". It's just a guitar amp. Get a DSL40C and be done with it. Only advice i have left.

Anybody else??? I'm out.

tce63 likes this.
  15. Graham G

My apologies if I've upset you.

tce63 and Biff Maloy like this.
  16. Biff Maloy

Whoops!! I apologize!! I was just ribbing you a little. My comment was supposed to have a smiley at the end but it didn't make it in there.

But, maybe that DSL40C is in your range.

tce63 likes this.
  17. Graham G

Please don't apologise,my wife who of course knows everything says I could mither a nest of rats :).
    Yes on the face of it the DSL40CR looks like the perfect fit for me,but the DSL20 I had put me off it.
    I actually bought a JVM215C as my 1st Marshall about 3 years ago,sounded great but it felt a bit like my DC5,a bit rigid maybe ?,certainly didn't respond like the ORI20.
    I'm "really" trying to find a dealer where I can actually play through an SV,i will also check out the DSL40,thanks.
    And I really do know i'm a dithering old pain in the arse.:D

18. marshallmellowed

The SC and SV have similar amounts of gain. The SV needs to be much louder to achieve the same level of gain as the SC. So, based on that, get whichever amp best suits your situation. You can't go wrong with either amp, and if you can't make either amp work in a band setting, you're probably doing something wrong (it's not the amp).

19. Graham G

Thanks marshallmellowed,i'm fairly new to Marshalls(as you can probably tell),but would I be correct in thinking that SC is a sort of mini 2203 ?.
    Also don't worry I always assume i'm wrong(I've been well taught :D)until there is certain evidence that i'm not.
    I really have to try & get a shop dem of one or both of these Amps,but these are difficult times for shopping.

Mitchell Pearrow and scozz like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

Yes, that's exactly what it is, and was the intent of the design.