The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Well-Known Member Silver Supporting Member

I'm only basing my concerns because my ORI20H(& my just sold DSL20H)with my 1 x 12" mesa(EV loaded)cab,they can get swamped by the Bass & Drums.

There is sadly a lot of truth in this,i've been constantly gigging since I was 14y old & i'm 75 now & the Bass player's not far behind,the Drummers a youngster(about 50):D & we do have a fairly decent Pub sized PA system,but you can mic up 'till your blue in the face,you still can/t hear it much on "stage",(using the term loosely).
    Still at my age worrying about a new gigging amp is a big plus,:band:.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

This is very interesting, I didn't know it's ok to run speakers with different ohm ratings, I thought they had to be the same! Learn something new everyday. I have a SC20h, and it does say "Class 2 wiring" on the back panel,...and I was wondering about the 5 speaker outputs, seemed different to me.

So tell me if this is right please,...

If I want to run 2 different cabs, one 8 ohms, and the other 16 ohm, with my SC20. Id run the 16 ohm cab into the 2x16/1x8 ohm input and the 8 ohm cab into the 2x8/1x4 ohm input?

Is that right?

[​IMG]

Georgiatec and tce63 like this.
  3. Graham G

In an earlier post I said there was a Demo between an SV20 & a Revv 20,i did say I wasn't certain I had the correct amp & of course it wasn't,the 2nd Amp was a Dr Z Remedy,i have just had another listen & I still think the Guys playing is noticeably better through the SV,to be fair my hearing has been called into question in this thread(understandably ;)).
    So have a listen for yourself,it's a Y/T dem & the guys name is Josh McSaucy.

tce63 likes this.
  4. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

:coffee: could change everything for the combo owners?

scozz likes this.
  5. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'll be sitting in with a bass player and drummer tomorrow. Maybe the other guitarist will show up. It will be the first jam get together in months since Covid. I'm taking my SV20H and 2061CX 2x12. 30x20 practice room.

Blues to blues rock to rock. I'll report back. I'm expecting the amp to be more than loud enough. In fact I'm taking my Westone ear plugs. I highly recommend investing in a set.

6. scozz

I did give a listen Graham, I thought they both sounded great imo!

Of course I prefer the Marshall! :D

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  7. Graham G

Hi Scozz,yes both amps sounded great,i just thought his playing sounded better/smoother each time with the SV,as though he was finding it easier.

tce63 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  8. scozz

Yeah I agree, I'd like to find out a little more about this.

tce63 likes this.
  9. scozz

Well I don't know about easier Graham, I own a SC20, and it's very much like the SV20 in the way it plays. I can tell you, both of these amps will make you a better player, there's little room for sloppiness, these amps don't hide mistakes as much as many other amps do. :)

That's a good thing, I've become a better player since getting my SC20. This amp strongly suggests the player do things correctly, The touch responsiveness of these amps is really incredible, and I love that about them! :D

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Santiall...
    "It says "MAY" not "WILL". The 16+8ohm configuration is a perfect match if connected to the right outputs as described elsewhere.

Don't worry either about the output transformer myth, there is no problem with mismatching loads in any amps or splitting the load as long as there are available outputs, this is not any JVM exclusive feature, it is just plain physics. As long as there is a load connected properly you'll be safe, danger comes with intermittent connected loads, poor cabling, etc, but a mismatch by itself won't cause any harm"

When he says "described elsewhere", I think he was referring to this post...

Reckless_Life...
    "If you want to combine the internal speakers with an external cab :

1/ The amp is internally wired for 8 Ohms, so :
    Get a matching external cab that does 8 Ohms, so you can set the output selector of the amp to 4 Ohms.

2/ Or, when keeping your external cab at 16 Ohms :
    replace the 2x 16 Ohm speakers in the amp with 2x 8 Ohm speakers, wire these in series to 16 Ohms. Put the output selector of the amp to 8 Ohms.

3/ Or, disconnect one 16 Ohm speaker in the amp, so the other speaker gives you 16 Ohm.
    4/ Or, disconnect two 16 Ohm speakers in your 4x12 cab, and wire them parallel to 8 Ohm."

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  11. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    That is correct.

scozz likes this.
  12. Georgiatec

No re-wiring of cabs. You simply plug your 16ohm cab into one of the 2 x 16 ohm outputs and the 8 ohm into one of the 2 x 8 ohm outputs. That easy. The amp o/t distributes half the voltage to each giving a balanced load.

13. marshallmellowed

2 different scenarios discussed in that thread.

Georgiatec and tce63 like this.
  14. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I can't speak of using only a 1x12 cabinet. Last gig I played (4 piece band with 2 guitars, drums, bass) I used my 2061cx 2x12 (Vintage 30's loaded in it) and I needed to be significantly attenuated lest I blow the first few rows of tables away. This is a very loud 20 watts amp.

15. scozz

Thank you!

:cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  16. Georgiatec

Yes, but there is only the one correct way sound wise with these class 2 amps. Mixing the cabs into the same pair of outputs means the o/t doesn't see a balanced load and you can hear it if you hook it up this way. When I tried putting the mixed cabs onto the pair of 2x8 1x4 outputs it produced significant loss of volume and dull tone. You could clearly hear it wasn't a balanced load.
    As Santial posted you're unlikely to do the amp any damage....it will just sound shite.
    The Reckless life post refers to amps with limited connectivity, where the output is controlled via a switch to supply the voltage to the output e.g. Vintage Modern. These amps are not Class 2 wired and you have to connect matching cabs to let the o/t see a balanced load.
    If I connect a 16ohm cab to my VM combo (switch set to 4 ohms) it doesn't sound right. As the internal speakers are an 8 ohm load and the o/t wants to see a 4 ohm load, not around 5.3.
    Honestly, these guys that run miss-matches deliberately must have cloth ears or something.
    :shrug:

Last edited: Sep 20, 2020
  17. Georgiatec

Liam Gallagher's guitarist played Glastonbury with a 20w 2061x. As the song goes...."it aint what you do it's the way that you do it".
    I played with a live drummer and bass player last weekend and ran my SV20 flat out, but attenuated around 5db. We were in a 7.1 x 5.2 metre practice room. I could have probably ran it in low power mode, without attenuation, but I'd already hooked it up and could just turn the attenuation down if I needed more volume. The tone is very good either way.

Mitchell Pearrow and T.J. like this.
  18. marshallmellowed

Not at all. Depending on the amp, I've found several occasions where running a 16 ohm cab on the 8 ohm tap sounded (or felt) better. Not an uncommon thing at all. Obviously, a personal choice, one size does not fit all.

tce63 likes this.
  19. Biff Maloy

I said I'd report back on my first live use with the SV20H. Low key jam in a very nice home recording studio way out in the woods. The other guitarist played a Telecaster into a Deluxe Reverb and a big pedal setup. I was set up more raw. Wah, tuner and my Flashback X4 in the loop. Les Paul. We both traded off on leads. Drums and the bass player was singer. It was a mix of Pink Floyd, Santana, Skynyrd, etc and a bunch of made up on the fly jams. The amp was more than loud enough. The 2x12 may have been too much and i may take my open back 1x12 next time. I meant to try it at 5 watts. We weren't trying to blow the roof off the place though.

20. Biff Maloy

One thing i want to add is, i kind of struggled with the tone of the SV. Not that it was bad but I was surprised right away by the amount of low end i had there with the G12H Anniversaries. Hardwood floors at my house vs carpet and treated walls there is the obvious difference of course. I'd never set foot in the place and didn't even know this place was a recording studio until I pulled up. Towards the end i had gotten out my 59 AVRI Stratocaster just for the top end vs my Les Paul. Those EVH 20's i had in the 2061CX prior and sounded kind of light hitting tested from home may actually be the better choice there. Dare is say, this might even drive me to try my C110 Class 5 cabinet with a Celestion G10 Gold Alnico, G10 Greenback or G10 Vintage.

I've been playing a long time. I don't get out like I used to but this just further drives home the point that no matter how much prep or personal preference you may have with your rig by itself the band and even the venue still dictates what works. This is just advice for players looking to branch out.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2020