The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Graham G

Graham G Active Member Silver Supporting Member

So if I bought the Combo which is a 16ohm speaker,could I also run my 8ohm Mesa cab.at the same time ?
    Sorry if this is a bit obvious,but i'm a bit slow nowadays.;)

tce63 likes this.
  2. Georgiatec

Georgiatec Well-Known Member VIP Member

Looking for something I don't remember what.
    Yes. You would plug the on board 16ohm speaker into one of the "2 x 16 1 x 8 ohm" outputs then plug your 8 ohm Mesa cab into one of the "2 x 8 ohm 1 x 4 ohm" outputs and you are good to go.
    I've done exactly this with 16ohm and 8 ohm 2 x 12's with my SV20H.

3. Graham G

Great thanks,that probably seals it for the Combo for me :)

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Actually, I would connect both speakers to 2x8 / 1x4 output jacks. He'd be connecting a load of around 5.3 ohms. If you're running a mismatch, you always want your load to be higher than the output tap used, not lower. Of course, iIf he was running the 8 ohm extension cab by itself, he'd just plug it into the 8 ohm output.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. Georgiatec

The outputs on these amps are designed so you can use unmatched cabs.
    The way I said to connect is correct. The amp will "see" a balanced load because each output is seeing 1/2 of it's rated impedance.
    Quite a few Marshall amps are now designed like this....the JVM was the first.
    The way you said to connect actually WOULD create a miss-match and makes the amp sound off kilter.
    Don't ask me the technical background of the design. All I know is it works perfectly.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2020
  6. marshallmellowed

If you have some info stating that's the correct hookup, I'd be interested in reading it. Do you have some info from Marshall?

tce63 and Sustainium like this.
  7. Georgiatec

There was a post by Santiago explaining how it worked, but short of searching the forum for it, I couldn't tell you where, other than it referred to "class 2 wiring" in the JVM and other amps.
    JVM, Astoria, Studio Vintage & Classic and DSL20 all have it.
    If the back of your amp has 5 speaker outputs labelled "1 x 16, 2 x 16 1x 8 & 2 x 8 1 x 4 class 2 wiring" then you are good to go.
    However, if you put your miss-match into pairs of inputs then this is still incorrect.
    I tried my two 2 x 12's (one 16ohm, one 8ohm) into both pairs of inputs and there is a severe volume drop and loss of tone. Split them so each pair gets half load and the o/t sees a matched load. It's about voltage and how the O/T distributes it to each tap.

Last edited: Sep 16, 2020
  8. Mark Collier

Mark Collier Member

I have an Origin 20 Combo. I like the amp BUT really f'ing hate the knobs on the back top panel. IF I was to keep an Origin 20 I would be selling it and getting the head where the knobs are on the front. Same goes for the SV20 combo, if the combo had the knobs on the front and not the back like the Origin I would be buying the SV20 Combo in a heartbeat. 10" or not.

The demo's of the SV20 combo all say Marshall were prepared to put a 12" in it but blind tests pre-production all chose the 10" over the 12". propaganda ...maybe....BUT,

Most comments I have read from people that actually own the combo all tend to say the 10" works really well.

We have no stock of the SV20 head down here in NZ till at least November and I have a deposit down to secure one. We do have the combo and I have thought long and hard about it...GAS is killing me but the knob position is just a big annoyance to me so I have resigned myself to waiting :(

9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Although the JVM amplifier has 5 speaker outputs never attempt to connect more speakers than rated. The safe combinations are 1x16 Ohm, 1x8 Ohm, 1x4 Ohm, 2x16 Ohm or 2x8 Ohm. Any other speaker configuration may stress the power amplifier section and in extreme cases may lead to valve and/or output transformer failure.

tce63 likes this.
  10. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

I'm for simplicity and not having to remember if an amp can work, can not or "try it and see" with different ohm speakers.

Just buy another speaker. Either 8 or 16 ohm.

tce63 likes this.
  11. marshallmellowed

Same here, I don't mix speakers of different impedance(s).

12. Georgiatec

Guys, this is a well known, much discussed way of connecting your amp up to more than one cab, when those cabs have different impedances. If you just want to adopt Ludite mentality then that's your prerogative. :lalala:

I'll listen to the guys who designed the amps. :shrug:

Mitchell Pearrow, T.J. and Biff Maloy like this.
  13. Biff Maloy

Biff Maloy Well-Known Member

Go for it! I'm going to listen to the guy that bought it. :cheers:

Mitchell Pearrow and Georgiatec like this.
  14. Graham G

i only asked the question because I thought I had read somewhere in the thread that with the class 2 wiring it was ok to run mixed ohm loads(i.e. 8 & 16)at the same time,not something I've ever done or heard of before,so if I bought the Combo that would enable me to run my 8 ohm EV & the 16ohm combo speaker until I could buy(as in have the money to) the correct extension cab.
    I'm still a bit dubious about the output of the SV20 being enough for our 3 piece band,i should probably wait 'till I can buy the Head & the 2x12" cab,but i'm frightened of having to retire before I can use it,or at the very least die :D.
    Anyway on a better note for the thread,i have watched loads of vids on the SV both Head & Combo & with a couple of exceptions they all sound great,but the vid which surprised me the most was a guy comparing the SV head to a Revv 20(I think I have that right) & both sounded great with the SV shading it,JMO,but the thing that really stood out was every time he switched Amps, his playing sounded better through the SV,i've not noticed that on demo vids before,but it was consistent.

WellBurnTheSky and tce63 like this.
  15. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Might be Kristof from Thomann ?
    If that's the case, he's kind of an old school type player, and those tend to shine best on simpler amps. The thing being, compared to a more modern design, I feel with the SV (and overall single channel, vintage design amps) you are "more connected" to the amp, IME the simpler the design, the best it reacts to nuances in your playing. If that makes sense. And the SV is great for that, by letting every nuance of your touch shine, it makes you play better. At least it does for me.
    Again, best amp I've owned.

16. Kim Lucky Day

Kim Lucky Day Well-Known Member

"I'm still a bit dubious about the output of the SV20 being enough for our 3 piece band"

Trust me, it is PLENTY loud for a 3 or 4 piece band...

17. marshallmellowed

All I can say is, if you're band plays loud enough that the SV20 wouldn't be able to cut it, your band might be on the road to going deaf, or must be playing outdoors, and probably needs a PA.

Last edited: Sep 18, 2020
  18. _Steve

_Steve Active Member

Although I havent tried it this seems correct to me. Each load will go through its respective winding and when paralleled on the primary side should sum to the correct primary impedance. If I get a chance over the weekend i'll run the maths just to validate it. I have the winding ratios written down somewhere for the SV20.

Georgiatec and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  19. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

I have been doing just as you said, with my Dsl40c’s 16 ohm internal , and an 8 ohm MG cab.
    For the last 3 years, and it sounds great !!
    Cheers

T.J. and Sustainium like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

I found the post where Santiall had addressed this. He stated that it was fine either way, using 2 different output taps (JVM...), or a slight mismatch (using slightly higher impedance) on a single tap.

Georgiatec and Mitchell Pearrow like this.