The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Get a Kingsley Jester, and you'll change your mind on using a drive pedal.

ken361 and slagg like this.
  2. 67Mopar

67Mopar Well-Known Member

Here we go... :squint:

Chris4189 likes this.
  3. Calvinr

Calvinr New Member

i'm not sure that 450 to 470 volts on the plate of an el 34 vs 250 volts sound the same, and cathode bias doesn't sound like fixed bias .
    The el 34 in push pull configuration are designed for a dissipation of 25 watts per tube with 450 volts on the plates, if you lower that the tube operate beyond what it was designed for, like putting ferrari brakes on a fiat punto, . As you say tube life increase as it doesn't cook ..That's my point, i could be wrong,

4. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Just ordered a 'B stock' one I found for sale, basically an open box and obviously in stock (unlike most other UK shops currently), so I should have it by Tuesday next week. Shame I didn't spot it earlier today as I could have arranged delivery for tomorrow. :(

I've got a 1 watt JMP head (as per my current avatar) so will sell that and use the custom cab I had made to match as it should look good with the Vintage sat on it. Currently has a V30 in it, but I have a Greenback cab I can try it through to see if I want to swap speakers over.

Having a band rehearsal on Wednesday, so will get chance to crank it up a bit, then some gigs to come in the fairly near future to try it out on.

Mitchell Pearrow, tolm and Trainwreck like this.
  5. BowerR64

BowerR64 Well-Known Member

Your right, it might not be cost effective

I like the sound hes getting but would be nice if it was in a smaller package

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Cool. I'm waiting on a SC20 to try out (45 day return), and may end up trying the SV20 after that. I have a nice JTM45 reissue that I added a Metro Fx loop to, which is not painfully loud to play, even without an attenuator, so not sure the SV20 is something I need. It would still be cool to try one out, just because.

KelvinS1965 and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  7. tolm

tolm Active Member

Awesome! No idea what kind of music you play but very interested to know whether these can hang with a band whilst remaining at all clean - or clean-ish, at least.

KelvinS1965 likes this.
  8. marshallmellowed

Good question, and would depend on the band and style of music. My guess is that the amp would be breaking up fairly well, if competing with a loud rock drummer.

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
  9. tolm

tolm Active Member

Yeh - that’s my “concern” as well. I like the idea of one but I tend to run a clean amp with pedals. However, a “just overdriving” amp (rolling stones sorta sound) which can be pushed further with pedals would work very well as I never actually use the clean tone of the amp.

10. Guitardave

Guitardave New Member

Funny how we have the opposite concerns - you’re worried it won’t be clean enough at high volume, whereas i’m worried it won’t have enough gain at low volume!

tolm and tce63 like this.
  11. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

...blasphemy...then You're missing out on the glory that is the marshall sound and might as well plug into a Carlsboro our something.. it's the distortion that is marshall....:cool:
    J

12. tolm

tolm Active Member

Ha ha - yeh, can never please all the guitarists, all the time!!!

13. tolm

tolm Active Member

Yeh ... I know ... my band does a few covers that need a cleaner sound but if I can get ‘em off the setlist I’ll be able to crank the amp a little more and then just add pedals for heavier stuff but even then ... for example, we play Learn To Fly by Foo Fighters so the verse parts need to be at least vaguely clean: at the moment I use an Exotic AC Plus for the “clean” and then kick in a Way Huge Geisha Drive or ZVex Box of Rock for the chorus. But I could run the amp a “little” dirtier and eliminate the AC Plus from requirements.

Mitchell Pearrow and johan.b like this.
  14. marshallmellowed

Chorus tends to make even a dirty sound seem "cleaner". That, combined with the fact that cleaner passages are usually not accompanied by heavy drumming (lighter picking is an option here), you should be OK.

Medronio, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  15. Michael Roe

Michael Roe Well-Known Member

This isn't really practical maybe but as an experiment works rather well.
    I used my defective DSL 20HR (FX loop before CH volume) as an effective attenuator/master volume for my SV20H.
    Ran the FX send of the SV into the FX return of the DSL20HR. Plugged a dummy cable into the FX return of the SV20 to defeat the power amp of the amp ( this is connected to a cab but no sound out of it- gotta have a load connected).
    So, now I am using the preamp of the SV into the power amp of the DSL20HR ( DSL connected to another cab that you can hear).
    I can now use the CH volume of the DSL20HR to adjust the volume level.
    An added benefit is that I also get reverb.
    Oh, and a boost if I switch between the DSL's chs- one set higher than the other.
    Plus a power amp resonance control if I want.

So, the moral of the story is: A defective DSL20HR along with an extra cab(or just use a load box) can make an effective and probably overly complicated Attenuator/Master Volume for your SV :)

tolm and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  16. tolm

tolm Active Member

Er, when I say “chorus” I mean “for the chorus of the song” ...

But, yes, lighter picking for the verse sections would be an option provided the base tone isn’t all out gain armegeddon. :)

17. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member

That is cool to hear, I run mine a tad bit different, although I don’t have a SV amp, I run an instrument cable from the fx send to the instrument in on a lead 100 mosfet, for a wider more spread out sound and it slays for what I am after, this is the reason I love this forum, so much important information is passed between us that if you skip over a thread, that you think may have no interest to you , you could very well be missing an important link in your tone chain! Cheers Mitch

scozz, Michael Roe and K2JLX like this.
  18. Mitchell Pearrow

My grandson the other night and his buds were playing in the garage, one of the tunes they hashed over was a foo fighters tune, and with no boost and in the low power mode on my origin 50H he had a very convincing foo fighters tone , sorry for being off topic, just wanted to let you know that it is obtainable, and should be no problem with the new SV 20 amps! Cheers Mitch

19. marshallmellowed

Yes, I knew what you meant. I referred to chorus (the effect), because I use light chorus a lot on cleaner passages, and it always seems to result in a "cleaner" sound (even though, it's not).

Last edited: Feb 9, 2019
    tolm and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  20. Mitchell Pearrow

If I had the 1987 x I would definitely like RT to mod it, he is getting awesome tones from his work, I love these new amps, and would like them both, but anybody who has read my posts is knowing I am after speakers right now, and I plan on staying the course, till I have accomplished my goals ! Cheers Mitch

Kris Ford likes this.