The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

I think a real hiss would possibly be an issue, probably tubes, but the thing is...some, not all people will describe noise floor as hiss.

My SV has no hiss issues but it’s not dead quiet when both volumes are at 12:00 noon, where they stay. It is what it is and it has never been distracting, especially when playing with a band. Some amps are quieter than others.

Here is what I know for a fact...my SV is my go to number one amp that can never leave my possession.

kinleyd, Kim Lucky Day, tce63 and 4 others like this.
  2. indeedido

indeedido Active Member

Where the wind comes sweeping down the plains...
    That is what cranked up superleads sound like. Shhhhhhhhhhhh. Completely normal.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.
  3. K2JLX

K2JLX Well-Known Member

My SV20h has a slight hiss when I jump the channels and turn it up, but it’s nothing to write home about.

4. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

For those that like dead quiet amps (like me), put a good noise gate in the loop and call it done.

5. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

I see what you did there ;-)

tce63 likes this.
  6. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

This. Noise gates have been discussed in this thread (of course all is buried way back) and they work great.

kinleyd, Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  7. marshallmellowed

8. Jakeboy

Jakeboy Well-Known Member

Hey all! I am no longer gigging but do play loud at home and go to open jams often. I am recording like mad with the JMP1h...am considering the SV or the SC for clean Marshall tone and for recording the crunch. How loud are these and how do they sound on the 5 watt setting?

wntbtw and tce63 like this.
  9. junk notes

junk notes Well-Known Member

Does anyone understand the 1959/1992; for some reason every vid has the channels jumped....How do you feel right doing a side-by-side comparison video, is past me.

10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yes, both amps are loud, even on the 5 watt setting,...but “loud” is subjective.

tce63 likes this.
  11. Shane Stevenson

I have both of these amps and my favorite is the SV. It’s much smoother, less grittier and a less mid scooped than the SC. Anyway, on 5 watts these amps are really loud. Its better to go into these amps thinking that their 20 watts / 40 watts if you want me to be honest. The SC is way more controllable without an attenuator but the SV, not so much.

Like I said, I really do love my SV over my SC but I would never make this statement if I didn’t have my Weber Mini Mass 50 attenuator. With the Mini Mass my SV is literally the perfect amp for me and it’s everything I have always wanted in an amp.

One more thing; with my tele and my strat I can’t say that the Studios are my favorite amps but there are guys who love the Studio Series with single coils. I’m exclusively using my Les Paul with my Studio Series amps.

12. marshallmellowed

Glad to hear it's past you, not worth dwelling on...

Last edited: Jun 27, 2020
    tce63 likes this.
  13. Jimmi59

Jimmi59 New Member

I bought the SV20H 3 months ago paired it with a 1936 2x12 with 65W celestion creambacks and a volume pedal in the effects loop, I open up the High treble volume to 3/4, normal volume to 1/2, jumped low treble to high normal. I'm pushing the tubes at 5W or 20W bedroom level it sounds fantastic. play it every night after work from 11 p.m. till 3 a.m. no complaints from neighbors. I love it. Sounds almost as good as my JTM 45

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  14. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

‘At first read I saw treble at three quarters and normal at half. I thought holy crap that must be loud. Then I realized treble was at 3 or 4 and normal was 1 or 2. I’m most often at treble 4 and normal 2 when jumped.

tce63 likes this.
  15. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

That’s interesting Shane, my Strat and Tele sound great thru my SC20. I usually increase the preamp volume a bit when playing single coils than when I’m playing my LPs.

16. Shane Stevenson

Increasing the preamp volume is probably the one thing I haven’t messed around with on single coils. I think I’ll give it a try tonight.

For my teles, I mainly like the “Nashville” tele sound and my Princeton just fits the bill better I think. Classic rock is really ok with my tele.

With my Strats I know I can probably get a great tone, it just takes a bit more tweeking with my Strats because their naturally brighter guitars that LPs.

I made that statement because just about any setting on the SV sounds great with my LP. That amp just loves mahogany guitars. I’ll probably keep the Tele away from my SV but I’ll definitly have to hook my strat back up and spend more time.

17. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure your Tele sounds great thru your Princeton, I know that you're not comparing your Studio amps with a Princeton,.... as far as tone is concerned. But there are some great tones in both of these Studio amps with Teles and Strats, the guitars just need a little bit of help. Now I'm not talking about crystal clean tones, I'm referring to slightly overdriven tones.

I use my Spark Boost pedal set to "FAT" with single coil guitars, this and a slight increase in the preamp volume allow these guitars to sing with crisp, thick, full, fat tones that remind me a bit like P90s. Oh they don't lose their single coil tone, they're just boosted and thickened up.

Have you tried your Strat and Tele in the low sensitivity of your SC20? There are some really beautiful cleans with that input, especially with single coils, you should give it a try. You'll be able to turn up the amp without attenuation in this input, one of my favorite settings is with the preamp near dimed and volume and eq to taste. Also there are many other settings that really open up this amp,.... as a whole different sounding, and feeling amplifier. The tones coming from this input are NOT what most would expect from a Jcm800.

Last edited: Jun 30, 2020
  18. Shane Stevenson

I think your the one who turned me on to my Mini Mass 50, which I love! Now your about to have me investigate the Spark Boost lol. Reading your posts are really informative, but usually end up costing me money!

So I guess I just need to spend more time with single coils and report back. Great tips!

19. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

My Tele does not play well with the SV. It’s likely getting sold soon to a friend. The Clapton Strat and SV are perfect together. Obviously the LP and the SV get along just fine.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member

Yeah I'm probably the one that got you on the Minimass, :D I've been pumping them for a while, great product! When I find a product that really does it for me, I like to tell people about it, so much the better if the product comes with a great price,....like the Weber Minimass 50!

The Spark is another great product, it's great for me because I like boost pedals that simply boost the amps signal, and that's what the Spark does,...without affecting the tone in any way. It's a very transparent pedal, no coloring of the amps tone in any way,...just boosting!

Any boost pedal will boost a signal, but the Spark not only boosts the signal, (I'm talking about the full size Spark here, because there's a mini Spark too), but it has a 3-position mini toggle switch to choose from 3 different boosts,...a straight "clean" boost,...a "mid" boost,...or a "Fat" boost.

I use the "fat" boost with my single coil guitars.

:rofl:Sorry about that,... :naughty:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.