The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Gaz does too man,....you selling him short!!

2. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

Lol you guys been busy tonight:)

3. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

Yah but he has the same amp. I mean shown the SV.

tce63, Gaz Baker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  4. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Would it help if I did a clip with the SC, but put a picture of the SV?:naughty:

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  5. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

No. Make them drool for an SC.

6. Gaz Baker

Gaz Baker Well-Known Member

Nothing to see here. scroll on.....:squint: rfhr.jpg

7. marco_giampa23

marco_giampa23 Well-Known Member

HELP ME!

So I have ordered one of the new snakesin sv20h and the mathing sv212 for $1650usd, i have $165 deposit on it.

I had previously messaged someone with a marshall AFD100 months ago, and he has messaged me back asking if i would give him $1310usd for it. This sounds like an amazing deal to me.
    But i will be losing my deposit and will have to pay shipping, it will come out to the same price as the sv20h if i buy the AFD100 (factoring in shipping and the 165 deposit im losing)

So is it worth me going for the AFD? I wont have a cab but that doesnt really bother me for now.

Buying the AFD
    Pros: Rare limited amp not made anymore
    great deal
    one of my dream amps
    its a 100w head, and has more features, probably sounds better
    i could purchase the sv20h later (not in snakeskin though)

Cons: I lose 165 bucks
    my music store might be a little pissed at me for not following through
    i wont have a cab for a little while
    my family will hate me as i have already committed to buying the sv20h

Buying the Sv20h
    Pros: I dont need to bother getting the amp shipped or deal with secondhand buyers
    its a rare snakeskin

Cons:
    I miss out on a rare amp at a good price and it will haunt me forever

please give me your ideas, i dont have much money either as im a student so buying another amp at this price wont really happen until i have a proper job which will be 5ish years

8. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Do you need 100 watts? I’m not playing stadiums so I have no use for a 100 watter. 100 watt amp heads are the only reason I stayed away from Marshall until recent. In my world it’s venues from 50-400 people in attendance. My SV20h and SV212 is the perfect size. It will most likely handle everything you want to do, even really close to Slash’s tones minus his touch.

I’m sure the AFD is a superb amp but try not to get caught up in emulating somebody else’s tone. I remember chasing SRV’s tone in the early 90’s for a little blues trio I was in. I finally gave up and settled with my own sound. I ended up happy. Now I’m extremely happy with the SV20. Good luck!

Last edited: Mar 10, 2020
  9. Sustainium

Sustainium Well-Known Member

Some people need to experience 100w for themselves. If op is one of those people 20w will not cure the itch. Don’t always regret not owning big iron if you really want it, it can always be sold or kept and get the studio later. Snakeskin is neither here nor there imho.

tce63 likes this.
  10. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

Stay with the SV. Rarely does a dream anything live up to the expectation in my experience. I’m guessing that 100W is more than anyone needs or can use today. I bought a dream 100W amp years ago. Sold it because while the amp was wonderful, it was not the dream and it was just way too loud. Lastly, ask yourself why the price is so great if it’s an a rare amp. Really lastly this time, a dream amp without a cab would just taunt me every day.

11. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

OK, if I read between the lines here, you've already convinced yourself you want the AFD, so just get it already. It's a good enough deal, assuming it's in good working condition, that you could sell it after the honeymoon and probably make enough on it to cover your deposit loss. By the time you come back around to the SV, there'll be more deals on used ones (sans the snakeskin). I personally don't like snakes.

12. marco_giampa23

agreed, shipping is not going to cost alot and even factoring in the deposit im paying less than 2 grand usd, its also more practical for me as it has the built in attenuator so ic an go down to .1% of a watt, and i can also go to 100 watts if i need, also has a self biasing feature which is cool

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  13. marco_giampa23

Well the AFD has a built in attenuator with a knob on the front panel so you can go all the way down to 0.1% of a watt, so its a good volume for anywhere, Im also loving the self biasing feature so to swap tubes i dont need to re-bias, its also more versatile for me as it has the 2 modes, the modded super lead and the #34 modded jcm800, after i purchased the sv20 i thought, damn, now a need a jubilee, but the AFD pretty much does the hot rodded JCM800 and the hot rodded plexi (that could be turned down)
    I just think for a very similar price i can get a good deal on a limited 100 watt head with great features and a unique sound

jusst got a shipping quote, might go talk to my music store about whether they could possibly drop the deposit

tce63 likes this.
  14. marco_giampa23

Yeah i havnt looked at cabs yet but i will have some extra money cab, just not sure which cab, would like to make sure i secure the afd and know that ive got it rather than save up for a cab and the seller possibly pulls out or sell it for more (list price is 1621, im paying 1300 exluding shipping)

tce63 likes this.
  15. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Just out of curiousoty I checked prices on used AFD100s. Looks like some folks are asking around the $3,000 range. If I’m reading correctly and your saying that the seller is asking $1,300 then either you have found the deal of the year or the amp possibly has issues. Ask all the right questions and get plenty of advise from the folks on this forum. These guys know their business.

16. trovador

trovador Well-Known Member

It just dawned on me that it's been about a year since I got my SV20. Still loving what it does :bday::dude::shred:. How about others? Still loving or have you moved on to something else?

17. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

My is only 10 months old, Still loves it, It´s a fantastic amp :applause:

T.J., trovador, ken361 and 2 others like this.
  18. marco_giampa23

You guys have any tips on keeping my cash safe? Buyer wants the full amount transferrred before he ships it, im abit wary as I dont want to send my hard earned money over and never recieve the amp

19. ken361

ken361 Well-Known Member

just over a year!

trovador and tce63 like this.
  20. BanditPanda

BanditPanda Well-Known Member

Buy using PayPal. If it's on e bay or Reverb.com you are protected by them..
    BP