The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by Michael Roe, Jan 26, 2019.

1. pedecamp

pedecamp Well-Known Member

I wonder what the SV20H would sound like through a greenback 2x10 cab? :hmm:

Does one exist?

2. Highgear

Highgear New Member

Hi ....i love the SV20H ....but since i only play Channel 1 ( and love it for Rhythm on 4 and for Lead on 6-7 ) .... is there an easy way to mod the second channel so, that it is similar to Channel 1 ? ...then i could switch with an AB switch between Rhythm and Solo ...that would be cool ....thx ....
    btw , i changed the V-Type of my 1x12 Marshall Cab into a G12H30 Anniversary and i like it far more ....

3. Mcentee2

Mcentee2 Member

I have posted over in the tech forum, but has anyone tried the ehx 6ca7 in a Sv20h?

If so, what spec matched pair did you get, ie ma number ?

4. lp1987x

lp1987x Well-Known Member

It could be done but you'll only notice a difference in gain, not in volume. Also, from what others have said when modding these, the traces on the pcb are very fragile so any modding must be done with extreme care or you may end up needing to convert it, at least partially, to be handwired.

Instead, I'd recommend a good boost in the front. Anything from a clean boost (Spark, Pickup Booster, et al), EQ (I've had great luck with a Boss GE-7), or Klon-type (Tumnus, Soul Food) work great for pushing the gain up a bit without coloring the tone. Of course, people have been using Tubescreamers for decades to boost Plexis but they do color the tone some.

The G12H is a great speaker. It was the favorite of many when I did a speaker comparison with my SC20C. However, it is a loud speaker, reading 5 dB louder than the Scumback I compared it to.

5. pedecamp

Sounds like a good idea! I'm using a boost pedal in the loop for solo volume boost, works well.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Personally, I wouldn't mod the amp for that reason. If you can get what you need, by just turning the channel volume from 4 to 6, I would think just using your guitar volume would accomplish the same thing. If you lose treble by turning your guitar volume down, look at installing a treble bleed circuit on your guitar. My 2 cents.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2020
  7. Shane Stevenson

Shane Stevenson Well-Known Member

Out of all the amps I’ve owned this one plays best with using my guitar volume. Try getting use to doing that if your not already.

8. G the wildman

G the wildman Well-Known Member

Yes I agree the guitar volume works fairly well providing you do not need to play quietly. I took mine to my guitar club this week without the attenuator. It stayed on 5 watt, and controlled well with the guitar. The tone knobs are also very effective.

I played Albatross with some reverb it was gorgeous.

For ease I play my dsl5 a lot. When I go back to the SV after it is sublime.

9. Highgear

Highgear New Member

Yes .... you´re all right , i also play a lot with the volume pot on the guitar ... i always tend to have an amp on ACDC/SRV Crunch and bring it down with the volume pot from the guitar to clean .....and in the other direction with a Clean boost or KOT to a Lead Sound .... but i thought about it, because the amps takes pedals different if the Gain is on 4 or on 7 ... so if it would be only 3 caps/resistors to change on Channel 2, why not having that option ... because like that the Channel 2 is useless for me and why having a useless Channel if it could be useful ..... btw, i have 2 of these heads and one for sure stays original .... thx

10. Highgear

Highgear New Member

btw... my Top 7 pedals in Front of the SV20H are for the moment: Tonefrerak Naked, Tonefreak Azalea, Honeybee Cleandrive, Rodenberg 707, Analogman KOT, Kingtone Bluespower, Barber Direct Drive ....

11. Bonedaddio

Bonedaddio Member

Still totally love my SV20H; I’m close to swapping it into my live rig now.
    It’s true you do need some other gear with it, but the sound is worth it, so very, very worth it! But only if it’s what you’ve heard in your head for oh say, 50+ years! Such a touch-sensitive, guitar-volume sensitive, edge of breakup to full-on overdrive engineering master work! Or maybe they just got lucky?!!?
    My setup is guitar>tuner>wah>TC Spark Boost>treble channel jumpered to normal channel.
    Loop is send>volume pedal (dialed back just enough not to overload H9 input)>H9>return.
    Output is 5W into a Minimass (using the treble switch if volume is crazy-low) into a Sourmash 1936-style cab w/Celestion 70/80 and WGS Veteran 30.
    Just amazing tones at really manageable levels. The H9 does require some taming of the loop levels, I’ll replace the volume pedal with a volume box, but if you play with effects, this a hard setup to beat.
    Kudos to tce63 and Scozz, I have a bunch of od-ish pedals n 10 band eq pedal, but hadn’t heard of the TC Spark, with the 3way toggle. I own one now, it’s the best way I’ve found to get that solo boost without sending the H9 into overload spasms.
    I am such a gear whore, now I want the SV212 cab!
    Does anybody have one and like it?

12. tce63

tce63 Well-Known Member Premium Member

Glad you like the Spark Boost.

I have a SV212C , sounds great after about: +30 hours

13. Tiboy

Tiboy Well-Known Member

I agree with tce63. My SV212C sounds great after break in.

14. pedecamp

Well for one thing youd lose the ability to jumper the channels, try jumpering and put the bright channel on 2 and normal channel on 7, you get a nice clean then step on an OD pedal like a Rat and the volume and gain will jump up for lead. :yesway:

15. pedecamp

They also have pedals for this like the Mad Professor Underdrive if you dont like fiddling with your guitar knobs, set your lead volume and tone on the amp and step on the Underdrive for your rythm volume and tone. :yesway:

16. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

The HBE Detox EQ is another great option for this that has B/M/T controls so you can really tailor your clean-ish tone. I have a home-made clone of it on my board and it works great to get from breakup to clean on the SV.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and pedecamp like this.
  17. pedecamp

Whats interesting is you'd think a straight up EQ pedal would work but it doesnt because of the lack of B/M/T controls.

18. WellBurnTheSky

WellBurnTheSky Well-Known Member

Mitchell Pearrow, pedecamp and tce63 like this.
  19. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

You totally lost me on that one. B/M/T are EQ controls, but with a pre-defined frequency band for each. An EQ (multiple bands) should actually give you more control over the frequencies than just B/M/T, and still allow you to reduce the volume. :scratch:

20. pedecamp

Sounds strange I know but its not the same. I have a couple popular EQ pedals and the bands dont work the same tonally as a B/M/T.

Mitchell Pearrow likes this.