The Official Marshall Studio Vintage Thread Sv20h

pedecamp

Reaction score
Not to pass judgement on this amp before I've had a chance to try one, but wont this amp only be good for those gigging mofo's and not us home players, its gonna be super loud without an attenuator or a ppimv. Are my thoughts off base? I suspect just to get edge of breakup its gonna have to be ear blistering loud.

johan.b

Reaction score
I think that's the reason for 10inch speakers in the combos. Less cone, less air movement, less spl. In 5 watt mode with a single openback 10, it'll be like pushing a fender champ.. loud but not unreasonable in a house ..
5 watt into a 4x12 at the same time, would probably be a bit shy at rehearsal with a loud drummer, but doable in a small room
J

Moony

Reaction score
5 watt tube amps are useless.Too loud for home,too weak for a gig IMO.

That depends on the design of the amp, especially the power amp.

You can easily play a 100W JVM410 with a small 1x12" cab or even 2x12" (fitted with the right speakers) at bedroom levels, where you still hear the natural ringing from the strings of your guitar, while you have to struggle with a Class 5.

texhex

Reaction score
Not to pass judgement on this amp before I've had a chance to try one, but wont this amp only be good for those gigging mofo's and not us home players, its gonna be super loud without an attenuator or a ppimv. Are my thoughts off base? I suspect just to get edge of breakup its gonna have to be ear blistering loud.

Isn’t that what the 5W mode is for? Depends on how loud is unacceptable for your home/apartment/etc. I’m guessing that once the volume is up around 7 this amp will sound really great.

pedecamp

Reaction score
Isn’t that what the 5W mode is for? Depends on how loud is unacceptable for your home/apartment/etc. I’m guessing that once the volume is up around 7 this amp will sound really great.
5 watts is even loud, I had a 20 watt Origin and in 1 watt mode it was too loud, I need to get at least edge of breakup tone, with a 1 watt or a 5 watt nmv amp its gonna be loud to get there. I would at some point when the Studio Vintage hits the used market get a combo and put a ppimv in it, but to pay new price and spend another few hundred modding it is getting a bit expensive for me. I am interested in these though, I'm looking forward to trying one in the store when they get them, meanwhile I did order a Studio Classic head.

Last edited:

DesolationBlvd

Reaction score
Seconding wanting to see gut shots. "Plexi" encompasses quite a few variations, so I'd like to know the values of the important components that have changed throughout the NMV Marshall's lifespan. More importantly, the quality of the circuit boards.

I do have an attenuator that can more than handle a 20-watt head being blasted into it.

Joe Blow

Reaction score
It'll be interesting to see if a volume control in the loop would work to bring the volume down and let you crank up the channel volumes.
Also if a 12" speaker will fit in the combo.

Last edited:

Adieu

Reaction score

I think that's the reason for 10inch speakers in the combos. Less cone, less air movement, less spl. In 5 watt mode with a single openback 10, it'll be like pushing a fender champ.. loud but not unreasonable in a house ..
5 watt into a 4x12 at the same time, would probably be a bit shy at rehearsal with a loud drummer, but doable in a small room
J

Single 95dB speaker + 5w mode.... makes for a markedly different experience than those of us who have plugged a 20-watter into a quad of 100dB twelves

bgreed2

Reaction score
I saw them yesterday at NAMM Show. Quite impressive, but the only chance to hear them was by a stage demo. Didn't have time to stick around for that, but they are up on Marshall's website now with their own demo videos.

Basically a JCM 800 version, with master volume, and a 1959 Plexi "100w light" version. Looking forward to hearing feedback on these.

slagg

Reaction score

Marshall 5 watts ,LOUD ASS HELL ! In a bedroom or apartment 7 gonna get everybody pissed. It's not a bedroom amp.

JohnH

Reaction score
So with this amp, you have 20w and 5w modes built in. If you also had a purpose designed attenuator with two switched settings: -3db and -12db (and -15db together), you could tune this amp to each of the following:
20, 10, 5, 2.5, 1.25, 0.6 0.3 and 0.15W, ie, up to -21db relative to 20W full power, in small 3db increments. That wouldn't be a complicated project either, to design nor to build.

What speaker Ohms does the combo come with? the manual doesn't seem to say.

Latest posts