The Official Marshall Studio Series Comparison Thread (SV20/SC20)

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
How would you describe the tonal difference between the 1959 and 1987x?

Originally I was thinking I wanted a 1987x but now I'm thinking a 1959. I wanted EL34, an effects loop, a JTM45 has KT66 and a rectifier so I'm thinking it wouldnt be as tight, is that a correct assumption?
Hmm, hard to describe, but I'd say the 1987x has less low end thump, and seems to be slightly more compressed when the power amp is overdriven. It's like I always say, like a broken record, the bigger amps always seem to have more thump, unless you heavily attenuate them. The JTM 45 has more low end than the 1987x, which is why I say it seems closer to the 1959. The tube rectifier does add a bit of sag, but it seems to be offset by the KT66's, which are a bit harder sounding than EL34's. Out of curiosity, what are you wanting from a 1959, that the SV20 is not giving you, assuming you're playing at lower volume?

Last edited:

pedecamp

Reaction score
Hmm, hard to describe, but I'd say the 1987x has less low end thump, and seems to be slightly more compressed when the power amp is overdriven. It's like I always say, like a broken record, the bigger amps always seem to have more thump, unless you heavily attenuate them. The JTM 45 has more low end than the 1987x, which is why I say it seems closer to the 1959. The tube rectifier does add a bit of sag, but it seems to be offset by the KT66's, which are a bit harder sounding than EL34's. Out of curiosity, what are you wanting from a 1959, that the SV20 is not giving you, assuming you're playing at lower volume?
I have a 2204 and I notice it sounds immediately bigger than the SV20H, I play the 2204 at home at room volumes and it still sounds big. I dont think the SV20H sounds as big although sounds good, I've never played a 1959 super lead so I can only assume it will sound big even attenuated at low volume, my plan would be to put a loop in it and use the JHS little black amp box as a master volume as I'm currently doing with the SV20H. I jammed this weekend with the SV20H at band volume with a band and it sounded good, I just want to know will the 1959 sound even better. I'm not looking to collect amps, I want one or the other. Right now having a new mini plexi doesnt seem real almost like a toy Marshall, maybe it would feel more real if I had like a 1973 full sized head or something. This could all be in my head, I dont know, but my 2204 just feels like I have a real Marshall and the SV20H (and SC20H I had) not. I probably need to get a super lead asap and just compare, and is why I keep asking you cuz you have both. If you had to get rid of one which would it be and why?

Last edited:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I have a 2204 and I notice it sounds immediately bigger than the SV20H, I play the 2204 at home at room volumes and it still sounds big. I dont think the SV20H sounds as big although sounds good, I've never played a 1959 super lead so I can only assume it will sound big even attenuated at low volume, my plan would be to put a loop in it and use the JHS little black amp box as a master volume as I'm currently doing with the SV20H. I jammed this weekend with the SV20H at band volume with a band and it sounded good, I just want to know will the 1959 sound even better. I'm not looking to collect amps, I want one or the other. Right now having a new mini plexi doesnt seem real almost like a toy Marshall, maybe it would feel more real if I had like a 1973 full sized head or something. This could all be in my head, I dont know, but my 2204 just feels like I have a real Marshall and the SV20H (and SC20H I had) not. I probably need to get a super lead asap and just compare, and is why I keep asking you cuz you have both. If you had to get rid of one which would it be and why?
For me, personally, I'd probably sell the 1959 Reissue, as I only hook it up occasionally to shake the house. I like to play my bigger amps loud, the non-master amps with only a small amount of attenuation, and it gets loud, very loud. The older I get, the more I worry about hearing loss, so that would be the main reason. If it were based on tone and feel, I'd keep the 1959, but that would be me being more self indulgent. My advice, be happy with your "toy" Marshall, and save your money and hearing. Given your situation, I don't think you'd benefit much (if any) over what you're currently doing. I'd recommend playing the SV20 through a 4x12 (if possible), as that's a big part of the "big" sound. My 2 cents.

pedecamp

Reaction score
For me, personally, I'd probably sell the 1959 Reissue, as I only hook it up occasionally to shake the house. I like to play my bigger amps loud, the non-master amps with only a small amount of attenuation, and it gets loud, very loud. The older I get, the more I worry about hearing loss, so that would be the main reason. If it were based on tone and feel, I'd keep the 1959, but that would be me being more self indulgent. My advice, be happy with your "toy" Marshall, and save your money and hearing. Given your situation, I don't think you'd benefit much (if any) over what you're currently doing. I'd recommend playing the SV20 through a 4x12 (if possible), as that's a big part of the "big" sound. My 2 cents.
Yeah I dont really do the loud thing so thats not a problem, I thought about a 4x12 for bigger sound but I quickly dismissed that its too big to carry around, a 2x12 I've always been happy with, the 2204 sounds huge through it even at low volumes. I just gotta decide on what will satisfy me in the long run, the mini Marshall or full sized. Thanks for your insight. :yesway:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Yeah I dont really do the loud thing so thats not a problem, I thought about a 4x12 for bigger sound but I quickly dismissed that its too big to carry around, a 2x12 I've always been happy with, the 2204 sounds huge through it even at low volumes. I just gotta decide on what will satisfy me in the long run, the mini Marshall or full sized. Thanks for your insight. :yesway:
Yeah, I'm a 4x12 guy, but I don't have to haul them anywhere, as I use my Axe Fx II through a 1x12 FRFR at practices.

Ian Alderman

Reaction score
I don't know,....you don't think its a little too much?

I agree. However! I think the Studio Vintage range would look badass with the old block logo. The smaller script logo has definitely grown on me for sure. Only thing I'd maybe do cosmetic wise with the Studio Classic range would maybe be the silver cap Marshall knobs...

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I agree. However! I think the Studio Vintage range would look badass with the old block logo. The smaller script logo has definitely grown on me for sure. Only thing I'd maybe do cosmetic wise with the Studio Classic range would maybe be the silver cap Marshall knobs...
Yeah, I suppose it depends on what cab they're sitting on. Sitting on top of a 1960A, with it's large logo, the logo on the Studio amps look tiny.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe you should just get a 1959 and check it out pedecamp, you can always return it,....the way you've got that down is inspirational! :D