The Official Marshall Studio Series Comparison Thread (SV20/SC20)

BanditPanda

Reaction score
Thanks guys.
scozz, if it'll get yer motors running it'll be mission accomplished.
Just take it step by step. Set up your recording gear, mics, cables, what have you so that you can start up a track right off the bat. Won't take that long.
Down load a familiar drum beat or polish up an old favorite song on guitar. Lay down the drum beat.
Starting off on a project we basically say to ourselves holy fook I've got to do all that now!! ( the laziness factor). However if you do it incrementally just spending say 30 minutes at a time on what ever days you want you will arrive at the ready.
Take it from there.
Like me you'll probably have to remember or re learn some of the recording techniques.
It is a very satisfying experience to listen to your finished product and if you want, sharing it.
Hope you'll give it a shot scozz.
BP

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys.
scozz, if it'll get yer motors running it'll be mission accomplished.
Just take it step by step. Set up your recording gear, mics, cables, what have you so that you can start up a track right off the bat. Won't take that long.
Down load a familiar drum beat or polish up an old favorite song on guitar. Lay down the drum beat.
Starting off on a project we basically say to ourselves holy fook I've got to do all that now!! ( the laziness factor). However if you do it incrementally just spending say 30 minutes at a time on what ever days you want you will arrive at the ready.
Take it from there.
Like me you'll probably have to remember or re learn some of the recording techniques.
It is a very satisfying experience to listen to your finished product and if you want, sharing it.
Hope you'll give it a shot scozz.
BP
Thanks BP,...that’s very thoughtful of you to say that! :yesway: :)

Kim Lucky Day

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Scozz I hear ya and can relate.
Just upload your track to soundcloud. Easy as pie and no fooling around with YT.
Here's a track I did on my Tascam digital 8 track for a guitar player to work out his lead parts for.
Soundcloud is easy peasy lol.

Cool stuff! Had quite the Billy Gibbons vibe going there...

Kim Lucky Day

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks BP,...that’s very thoughtful of you to say that! :yesway: :)
I agree with BP, home recording is relatively easy and sooooo addictive. Start with the basics on an inexpensive DAW and you'll not only be putting out some quality recordings but you'll end up gassing for more equipment and programs (I'm a personal fan of Toontracks products, I won't make a recording without using EZ Drummer 2 and EZ Mix).

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
Scozz I hear ya and can relate.
Just upload your track to soundcloud. Easy as pie and no fooling around with YT.
Here's a track I did on my Tascam digital 8 track for a guitar player to work out his lead parts for.
Soundcloud is easy peasy lol.

The first thing that popped into my mind was Chuck Berry. What amp were you using?

BanditPanda

Reaction score
The first thing that popped into my mind was Chuck Berry. What amp were you using?

No real amp, if I remember correctly mm. Using a Strat into my board( using a Ramble FX Marvel 3 ( plexi in a box) @18V and a Scorpion compressor) running direct into a Tascam 8 track..
BP

Last edited:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I agree with BP, home recording is relatively easy and sooooo addictive. Start with the basics on an inexpensive DAW and you'll not only be putting out some quality recordings but you'll end up gassing for more equipment and programs (I'm a personal fan of Toontracks products, I won't make a recording without using EZ Drummer 2 and EZ Mix).
Hahahaha, I’ve probably been doing home recordings before you got into high school KLD,...but I appreciate the sentiment! :yesway: :D

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Same reasons you don't see comparisons between a Ford Ranger vs a Ford F350. Both
qualify as trucks and both will haul and pull a load but after that it's a moot point to even try to have a conversation comparing both.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Same reasons you don't see comparisons between a Ford Ranger vs a Ford F350. Both
qualify as trucks and both will haul and pull a load but after that it's a moot point to even try to have a conversation comparing both.
That's pretty much what I thought @coolidge56 meant. Both are great amps, but the SV20 can't quite keep up with a 1959.

pedecamp

Reaction score

That's pretty much what I thought @coolidge56 meant. Both are great amps, but the SV20 can't quite keep up with a 1959.

I think it would be a perfectly good comparison. One's a smaller version of the other, I'd like to know how close they got if theres any real tone difference.

pedecamp

Reaction score
This is true, not really a fair comparison. The SV will make your ears hurt (a little), the 1959 will shake things off the walls of your house.
So lets say you attenuate both to a realistic volume, how do they compare?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
There's been quite a few owners of the SV with 1959 experience that have said the tone is very similar. I used to play through JCM800's. My 50th Anniversary JCM1 gets that tone but 99 watts and what that does to performance is also missing. Doesn't mean that i can't say without doubt the JCM1 is a much scaled down JCM800.

My only thing is and I'm not trying to bust the proverbial bubble here but if a player cannot use a 1959 for its intention then what difference does any differences make. Be happy there's an amp out there from the designers of these classics that the common everyday player can use.

coolidge56

Reaction score

Correct its not fair to the SV20. I got on a lower watt kick some years ago and purchased an Egnater 20 watt. By itself it was a good amp. But my 100 watt Plexi utterly destroyed it. So I decided to sell it. This guy who plays in a church came over with his Tele. Played the Egnater a while and decided to purchase it. He asked about the Plexi so I let him plug in and give it a try. Same guitar, same 4x12 cab. He played like 5 seconds, stopped, and said, "whoa how much for that one" the difference was that striking. But apples to oranges so not fair really to the Egnater 20 watt.

Latest posts