The Official Marshall Studio Jubilee Thread

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
I used the origin (Marshall combo 20 Watt) footswitch with led, and placed it in the smaller enclosure off the Jubilee.
It just works, led goes on and off.
Maybe a special led:thumb:
Hmmm so maybe there is a way. Without mods no one has seemed to be able to make it work! Cheers!

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Partly to revive the thread and also wanted to update my latest Jubilee rig.

I think i figured out what i had been doing wrong with Helix and 4CM. The last connection going from Helix to effects return on the 2525H i now have it set to - 4db. I read this somewhere last week and it being explained around some effects loops having this feature for rack gear. The Mini Jubilee doesn't have that at the loop so i dialed it back inside Helix like that thread discussed. I had been keeping everything connection wise at 0db which in my mind was flat pass through but it wasn't. To my ears this has diminished the digital "artifacts" i had been picking up on verses a dedicated pedal rig. I still am at this point only using a delay in the loop with a boost, swirly effect and wah out front like my pedal rig prior but this is all starting to sound like a rig like this should. Did a wireless test with my Line 6 G10 and this all has come together pretty well.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Nope!! I'm retracting my statement above. I'm close to arriving to the same results I've come to in past attempts at 4CM with a Marshall. The amp loses some harmonic content and takes on a digital overcoat with Helix connected. It sounds good at first down low but then i start noticing these things more with the amp at gig volume. It just loses a bit of the things that makes tube amps preferable.

I don't know if it's the additional chord lengths needed. Could be the buffers/converters in Helix. A higher wattage amp than 20 would be better? I don't know.

Today's the last round of tests but it's looking like basic pedals are coming back out and i won't be revisiting this again. Helix is great as a centerpiece for recording and audio interface but that's where it ends for me.

AltaBrig

Reaction score
Hi Marshall Devotees,

I have wanted a Marshall for years and the versitility, FX loop and MV made me go Jube over the 4 hole SV20. I just got a used 2525H off FleaBay and am trying to get an opinion on speaker configuration. The four suitable speakers I have are two 8 ohm broken-in china V30s, one 16 ohm Vintage 30 ,and one 16 ohm G13H30 Anniversary. I have been trying them out on my and swapped them around, but haven't formed a definite opinion. Maybe somebody with more experience can weigh in? I will be using the spectrum of what the 2525H has on offer from clean, grit, crunch, grind to all out saturation.

I have two semi open back 1 x 12 cabs for a mini stack and a thiel ported dr z best 2 x12 closed back that is a beast. Should be ze beast not best based on weight and thump power. I picked up the z best used of CL with the two sixteen ohms speakers. I threw the two broken in 8 ohm in the 2 x 12 and the two 16 ohms are in the two 1 x 12s with the narrow open back panel (about 3""). I think the 16 ohms were never broken in even though they are from 2007. They 16 ohm Celestions say England on the sticker, but interweb wisdom says those too are Chinese fabrication.

Got any opinion on an optimal configuration with either a 4 ohm or 8 ohm total load?

Also has anyone tried two Neo Creambacks or a Neo Creamback and something else with the studio/mini jube? I wanted to post this on the page Silver Jube thread, but this is the mini version and don't want tick folks off with my first post here.

Thanks!

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
Hi Marshall Devotees,

I have wanted a Marshall for years and the versitility, FX loop and MV made me go Jube over the 4 hole SV20. I just got a used 2525H off FleaBay and am trying to get an opinion on speaker configuration. The four suitable speakers I have are two 8 ohm broken-in china V30s, one 16 ohm Vintage 30 ,and one 16 ohm G13H30 Anniversary. I have been trying them out on my and swapped them around, but haven't formed a definite opinion. Maybe somebody with more experience can weigh in? I will be using the spectrum of what the 2525H has on offer from clean, grit, crunch, grind to all out saturation.

I have two semi open back 1 x 12 cabs for a mini stack and a thiel ported dr z best 2 x12 closed back that is a beast. Should be ze beast not best based on weight and thump power. I picked up the z best used of CL with the two sixteen ohms speakers. I threw the two broken in 8 ohm in the 2 x 12 and the two 16 ohms are in the two 1 x 12s with the narrow open back panel (about 3""). I think the 16 ohms were never broken in even though they are from 2007. They 16 ohm Celestions say England on the sticker, but interweb wisdom says those too are Chinese fabrication.

Got any opinion on an optimal configuration with either a 4 ohm or 8 ohm total load?

Also has anyone tried two Neo Creambacks or a Neo Creamback and something else with the studio/mini jube? I wanted to post this on the page Silver Jube thread, but this is the mini version and don't want tick folks off with my first post here.

Thanks!

The Jubilee is voiced for Vintage 30 family of speakers. I have an 87 50 watt and a 2525H. I have used them both with G12M Greenbacks and they both sound good. Nonetheless, they both sound better, in my opinion of course, through Vintage 30s (Both Mesa and the Marshall G12 Vintage versions) The 50 watt is less picky about speakers.

The 2525 will probably sound better through a 2x12 than 1x12s, because of less wattage.

The mix of a G12H and a V30 in a 2x12 is popular. The mix seems to give more bottom and less upper mid cut, so once broke in those two might be perfect for the mini. Either way, you probably have a great set of speakers to experiment with for that particular amp.

The Creambacks are trying to capture a GB voicing which I find less ideal for that particular amp, although you may hear it different.

AltaBrig

Reaction score
The Jubilee is voiced for Vintage 30 family of speakers. I have an 87 50 watt and a 2525H. I have used them both with G12M Greenbacks and they both sound good. Nonetheless, they both sound better, in my opinion of course, through Vintage 30s (Both Mesa and the Marshall G12 Vintage versions) The 50 watt is less picky about speakers.

The 2525 will probably sound better through a 2x12 than 1x12s, because of less wattage.

The mix of a G12H and a V30 in a 2x12 is popular. The mix seems to give more bottom and less upper mid cut, so once broke in those two might be perfect for the mini. Either way, you probably have a great set of speakers to experiment with for that particular amp.

The Creambacks are trying to capture a GB voicing which I find less ideal for that particular amp, although you may hear it different.

Thanks it will certainly have at least the the one V30. Not sure if the ohm ratings will have any effect though there seems to be a lot of opinion on 4 vs 8 vs 16 ohms and tone through the same amp and speaker brand. The 2525H is able to handle all 3 so I have options.

I am not sure the slight scoop of the G12H30 in either the ported cab or one of the semi open backs will be a net gain over the two 30s.

I hadn't thought about the handling: 60 total watts (V30 +G12H30 in parallel) vs 120 total watts (two V30s). To my ear the two 8 ohm V-30 speakers - I locked in a closet in a bathroom, dimed bass and volume of the amp, and battered the speakers with chords through humbuckers - sound a lot less harsh after they came out of the closet than before they went in 20 or more hours of playing earlier. Could just be my ears getting used to them.

I know the V30s are polarizing, I dig them. I have played them through a 40 watt silverface Fender and like them there as well which is not most peoples preference. They make that amp grind and roar, but it stlll sounds like a fender with chimey tops on top of a beefier clearer midrange - and way more articulate at higher volume (MUCH HIGHER VOLUME) 100db vs low 90s stock. Huge.

I feel like I need to pummel the 16 ohm G12H30 and 16ohm V30 cause they don't sound broken in to me.

Currently, I removed the 16 ohm G12H30 and 16 ohm V30 from the 2 x12 and put them each in 1x12s, the two 8 ohm V30s are in the 2x12 in parallel at 4 ohms. It blasts and can move the hair on the legs for sure. That cab is brutal heavy and load and the closed back and ports push a lot of sound straight forward. The small openings behind the magnets on the 1 x 12s let some of the sound leak out behind but they can still move a bit of air attached to the 20 watt amp.

The guy I got the two 16 ohms (v30+G12h30) in the Z BEST from had them in storage with a bunch of other nice powerful tube amps and cabs. I dont' think he used them much. He said all he used was a Kemper and could nail the Leslie sound on the BADGE solo with it at low volumes in his house and then he told me about the Boss TAE for attenuation. Wrong direction for me.

I spend too much time on computers and don't own a smart phone. I am trying to keep it simple with natural dynamics and response from the amps through the tubes. I played Solid State for too long and am loving all the sag and harmonics I can get. Not doing digital modeling in this life, though I may mess around with one of those 4 lb class d solid state amps if I feel the need for insta-transient twin cleans without the weight. Probably not though. But I digress.

I just want to keep it analog at this point and dial as few as nobs as possible (mainly on the guitar) though I don't mind swapping the speakers cause the differences are so immediate. I am still curious about those neo creams tone. Thanks for the input again.

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
I have a 2061CX 2x12 with those Anniversaries in it. 8 ohm cab. I've gotten good results with my 2525H. I use it with my SV20H also. I don't dislike them. They're kind of multipurpose for me for both amps yet knowing there are better options to hone in each one. I've tried Heritage Celestion G12M20 and G12H55hz. A pair of Celestion EVH 20's. A 1960AX with 25 watt Greenbacks. All have their merits according to how the 2525H is set up.

I have one 16ohm Vintage 30 in a 1x12 closed back. Out of all my speakers that's the one that seemed to gel the best for it.

Like KT said, you've got some good combinations already tailored all around what is popular for a Jubilee. I'd say concentrate on that 2x12 but i have no experience with ported cabs.

AltaBrig

Reaction score
I have a 2061CX 2x12 with those Anniversaries in it. 8 ohm cab. I've gotten good results with my 2525H. I use it with my SV20H also. I don't dislike them. They're kind of multipurpose for me for both amps yet knowing there are better options to hone in each one. I've tried Heritage Celestion G12M20 and G12H55hz. A pair of Celestion EVH 20's. A 1960AX with 25 watt Greenbacks. All have their merits according to how the 2525H is set up.

I have one 16ohm Vintage 30 in a 1x12 closed back. Out of all my speakers that's the one that seemed to gel the best for it.

Like KT said, you've got some good combinations already tailored all around what is popular for a Jubilee. I'd say concentrate on that 2x12 but i have no experience with ported cabs.

The ported cabs are a hammer of low (that can be dialed back with nobs). The thing is as heavy as a fender twin in the upper 60lb range (apparently they are lighter now, but I got the old model); so it is a good 10-15 pounds more than the slanted 2x12 from Marshall for the 2525H. It is a big deep cab and made to survive the end of times.

I also can easily put in a couple of cleats and turn one or both of the 1x12s into convertible open and closed back cabs. I was wondering if the 1x12 my be a great option. The higher wattage spikes from the 2525H may be what pushes that 30 watt speaker into its zone?

Sounds like you have been thorough with the speaker and amp settings from the greenbacks to the EVYS and the other G12Ms and Hs.

V 30s. The G12H30s are supposedly a more scooped celestion to even out the total range. Not sure that can't be done by twisting nobs on the amp with the v 30s (or if that would benefit anything (considering the original real jubes were designed for the v30s. I know I can let my ears decide and the amp settings, room, guitar all have an effect, but people who have been swapping speakers a heck of a lot longer than me are going to have better ears for it.

Is that 2061 cx more scooped with those Anniversaries? More bassy that if it were equipped with V30s or any of your other Celestions?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Well that's the thing about speakers. You need to run through what you have and try all those options first. Get to know well what you have. It does take time and the truth is nobody has better ears than you.

Youre thoughts on the 1x12 is in line with mine for these 20 watt heads for a more focused tone. They really push a single 12 and this seems to bring out a little more of the particular speaker's voice. Extra toasty. I really like my SV20H at 20 watts into my Heritage G12H55hz. I thought the same with my V30 and 2525H.

The 2061CX gets a little more throaty with the 55hz in there. I liked it and the G12M20 together but that was more for the SV.

It's tough for anybody to tell you what is best for your setup. Personally, i think you have what you need. You didn't mention a screw gun and a soldering iron. I can definitely suggest you need those.

Kinkless Tetrode

Reaction score
... The thing is as heavy as a fender twin in the upper 60lb range (apparently they are lighter now, but I got the old model); so it is a good 10-15 pounds more than the slanted 2x12 from Marshall for the 2525H. It is a big deep cab and made to survive the end of times.

Dang, that's only about 25 lbs shy of a 4x12. Probably sounds good.
I can understand why the interest in neo's.
I like the THD 2x12 design. 35 lbs with M's, 40 lbs with H's and fits in the trunk of a Camry. Rear ported and sounds pretty close to a 4x12.

AltaBrig

Reaction score
Well that's the thing about speakers. You need to run through what you have and try all those options first. Get to know well what you have. It does take time and the truth is nobody has better ears than you.

Youre thoughts on the 1x12 is in line with mine for these 20 watt heads for a more focused tone. They really push a single 12 and this seems to bring out a little more of the particular speaker's voice. Extra toasty. I really like my SV20H at 20 watts into my Heritage G12H55hz. I thought the same with my V30 and 2525H.

The 2061CX gets a little more throaty with the 55hz in there. I liked it and the G12M20 together but that was more for the SV.

It's tough for anybody to tell you what is best for your setup. Personally, i think you have what you need. You didn't mention a screw gun and a soldering iron. I can definitely suggest you need those.

Yes I have swapped the speakers and been recharging the dewalt, also had the iron out and hot mainly repairing and making speaker and instrument cables the last week, but I figure just crimping the spades one the speaker leads is probably easier for the quik change. I did desolder some oxfords off my old silverface i just turned into a head cause the baffle was cracked and the cab was cracked to with popped rabbets. The head turned out nice.

I hear you, you gotta put in the sweat on anything to get the results you want. You input is valuable.

Dang, that's only about 25 lbs shy of a 4x12. Probably sounds good.
I can understand why the interest in neo's.
I like the THD 2x12 design. 35 lbs with M's, 40 lbs with H's and fits in the trunk of a Camry. Rear ported and sounds pretty close to a 4x12.

That sounds like a genius 2x12. Portable too!

Mine wants to live in a jam room forever and dream it is a 4x12. It just feels wrong to puncture it with casters although that would be smart - or a handtruck that goes horizontal. It does sound good, but will shake the foundations when cranked. My neighbors complain so I try to limit their exposure. One of these days I will build a proper soundproof rehearsal room.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Hi, I was wondering if anyone could offer some advice on the 2525H. I am considering ordering one, currently on long delivery in the UK. I would play it mostly through my old 1960A with G12 30H's, maybe use it through my 1973X 2 x 12 G20 speakers or consider buying a 2 x 12 cabinet that would match up better I have a JTM45 re issue and a 1987T (from 1970) and have many distortion/fuzz pedals etc to drive them with. Question is, would I get something 'better' out of a 2525h than my current set up ? Plusses from the 2525h of course is having MV, a 5 watt mode and being able to turn up a 20 watt head. I know that is a pretty broad outline. For some sort of reference point I find that on modelling gear I gravitate towards the JCM800 and similar type amp sounds and then add additional dirt boxes. I can't put my Les Paul down at the moment, my favourite guitar sounds are Schenker(No Heavy Petting), Moore (SGTB), Doug Aldrich, Bonamassa etc.

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
MV is awesome, 2 channel is nice if you care about such. Clean channel clean mode with high gain and an OD of some sort will hit 800 ish tones although a Jubilee controls tend to have EQ curves set at lower frequencies. That or clean channel with rhythm clip on. Lead channel is very saturated, amd no pedal reuired. They are a slightly different voiced Marshall so you get a different flavour.
I love my Jubilees.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
MV is awesome, 2 channel is nice if you care about such. Clean channel clean mode with high gain and an OD of some sort will hit 800 ish tones although a Jubilee controls tend to have EQ curves set at lower frequencies. That or clean channel with rhythm clip on. Lead channel is very saturated, amd no pedal reuired. They are a slightly different voiced Marshall so you get a different flavour.
I love my Jubilees.
Thanks Jethro, I think the 2525's have good flexibility and as you say would give a different flavour. When you say 'EQ curves set at lower frequencies' do you mean the Jubilee's are more 'round sounding', not as top ended as an 800?

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Jethro covered a lot plus your positives listed are spot on. The amps you have are classics so take them out of the equation. Do you need a 20 watt head? Jubilee is a fantastic choice.

Biff, thanks for your input. When you say 'take them out of the equation' is this because they are radically different to the Jubilee even when using the classics with pedals ?

Biff Maloy

Reaction score
Biff, thanks for your input. When you say 'take them out of the equation' is this because they are radically different to the Jubilee even when using the classics with pedals ?

I do think the Jubilee is a different vibe from what you have but my main point is lower wattage has it's own thing. The conversation just gets muddy when comparing higher powered to low powered. I have a slight pet peeve when i see what's "better/best" asked. I think an amp should be judged on its own merits. I have the 2525H and SV20H. I play the SV20H way more not because i think it's better. It just suits my natural playing style and a lot of my influences are in that era. I love the Jubilee though. If i end up with the SC it will probably get more play time than the MJ but again that's influnces.

Marshall50w

Reaction score
Agreed its difficult to describe sound and one man's poison etc. I do have the 1973x (18 watts) and as a combo, not really gelled particularly. I found it didn't get louder it just got compressed. I tried it through the 4 x 12 and liked it but lugging both around defeated the purpose.