>

The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

I just bought the studio combo 1x10 from straight music in south Austin a couple days ago, it sounds amazing! (but its my first Marshall so I don't have anything to compare it to) Makes you just wanna hit major 7 chords and open e strings all day long. Cranked the gain and master to 10 yesterday on 20watts with my strat, except my tone control and treble/presence were off(it was still pretty damn loud) no complaints from my neighbors yet :)

As far as why they put a 1x10, I would assume the engineers started with a 12, but ultimately decided the v shape 10 inch just suited that individual amp better, doesn't necessarily mean anything IMO.

Madfinger, Solid State, T.J. and 4 others like this.
  2. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Welcome to the forum new MF’r great to see you getting along with your new Marshall amp, you have certainly picked a fine one to start the collection! Cheers Mitch :cheers: :welcome: :woot:

LazyPitufo, steveb63 and tce63 like this.
  3. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

Congrats on the amp and thank you for the review. There hasn’t been much talk about the SC20C so far anywhere really. I’m looking to get one too, so I am interested what opinions are out there. Did you try the loop yet to see if it has the volume drop issue others reported with the head version?

LazyPitufo and tce63 like this.
  4. Moony

Moony Well-Known Member

Here's a review starting now on Youtube incl. live chat, if some of you have questions for the reviewer:

5. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

So buddy of mine left GC and is working at a local music store. They've got a LOT of NOS. The stuff has been sitting in this store for 10-12 years, collecting dust. Few guys that used to work at GC ended up buying it, now they're trying to move a lot of the old stuff, before their Grand Opening.

I walked in to say hello today, stepping foot in that store for the first time, in about 10 years. I'm not going to name off everything I saw, because there's stuff in there, you'd have to fight people to buy... and its all, pretty much much up for grabs on a fair offer.

I wasn't looking to spend any money... then I saw these.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Couple of MHZ112 A and B. Never been used. Head disappeared someplace and these were the display stand for a Freddie Mercury statuette.

I knew exactly what I wanted them for and knew they were the perfect size. Asked how much they wanted. They came back with an offer I didn't feel like haggling.

$200 for the pair. I think it was money well spent. Hell of a lot better than the $800 Marshall wants for their 2x12, which I'm thinking is probably about the same thing. Though, I think the V-Type speakers sound better.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I've got a Marshall Vintage I pulled out of my old DSL, I'm going to put in one of the cabs. Any suggestion what speaker would match best with the Marshall Vintage? The cabs are going to be dedicated to the SC20H and I play mostly 70s - 80s hard rock. Like stuff like Free, James Gang, Boston, Zeppelin, Van Halen, early Def Leppard, Randy...

Oh... how about (2) little 800s!

[​IMG]

P.S. I was able to put the orginal feet back on (I had stole the ones off my Tweaker 15). They don't line up perfectly with the indents... but, sit right on top of them, off the Tolex.

[​IMG]

Gaz Baker, LCW, Ian Alderman and 12 others like this.
  6. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Cool little 2x12 stack.

7. Madfinger

Madfinger Well-Known Member

Wow...what a deal. You should start a new thread ...Show Us Your Best Bargain 2019.

8. rich88uk

rich88uk Well-Known Member

Great deal. Looks great as well

9. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

Nice score bro :agreed: :cheers: Thanks for sharing! And it does look good both of the stacks! Cheers Mitch

MarshallDog and GibsonKramer like this.
  10. GibsonKramer

GibsonKramer Well-Known Member

Thanks guys.

As someone mentioned on the LP forum... the Haze cabs were his suggestion, when people were squawking the price of the matching Marshall 2x12.

I've read of people getting the Haze cabs, low as $149 ea, when they were new. Now? No idea.

As someone else pointed out... watch the price of Haze cabs go up now, soon as people discover this. He's right.

Put my Marshall Vintage in the bottom cab and ordered a WGS ET65 for the top.

11. steveb63

steveb63 Well-Known Member

Very cool.

Looks fairly bad-ass. Dual JCM 800's, and a Gibson Les Paul Custom. That's the definition of rawk.

Looks great, and for what the pair cost? It's almost like buy one get one free.

Enjoy

12. Kinkless Tetrode

Kinkless Tetrode Well-Known Member

That worked out splendidly! Love the gold top too.

13. FIREpunkMEDIC

FIREpunkMEDIC Member

We did just that at our practice space with a 2203x and the studio classic. Threw the Jube in there for fun too. The result, the owner of the 2203x said he wants a Studio Classic so that he can leave the 2203x at home and travel lighter. The tone was that close. The Jube, entirely different animal and FANTASTIC in it's own right. In fact, I'm trying to convince our lead guitarist to use the Jube (that's where it seems to excel) and I'd use the SC20 for mostly rhythm.

14. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Yes, if you read my posts following that one, I did the same. Did an A/B between my 2203x and the SC20. Won't rehash the details, but I returned the SC20.

MarshallDog, BftGibson and tce63 like this.
  15. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

Just ordered the SC20C....it should be here by Wed. Fingers crossed it’s everything I’m hoping it will be. Traded in my DSL 5CR and a 2017 Gibson Explorer, which was collecting dust, to get it. Got a 10” Greenback to try in it as well. Cheers gents!

AAK, tce63, Madfinger and 2 others like this.
  16. Springfield Scooter

Springfield Scooter Well-Known Member

As much as I wanted to keep the SC20H, I ended up returning mine.
    I prefer my DSL40CR for 3 reasons....

1. The DSL40cr had a lot more bottom end.
    2. The DSL40CR was much less expensive.
    3. The DSL40CR has more gain that I like, yet also cleans up well.

Drawbacks to my decision is:

1. The DSL40CR dosent say "Made in England" on the back
    2. The DSL40R doesnt come in a HR head version.

I really wish it would have worked out, but to my ears, the DSL40CR is the winner...

Still waiting on Marshall to release the DSL40HR head version!

17. solarburnDSL50

solarburnDSL50 Well-Known Member Platinum Supporting Member

:mad:!

:D

Springfield Scooter likes this.
  18. Tbomb

Tbomb Member

I have the 40CR too and that wasn’t going anywhere.....I love it.

Springfield Scooter and tce63 like this.
  19. LazyPitufo

LazyPitufo Member

So as far as the fx loop, there IS a slight volume drop, but more importantly, the volume shuts off an on again really quick and make a sort of pop when you switch on a reverb or delay or something, is this normal with Marshall Amps? My other Blackstar fx loop never did this when I punched the pedals so it sorta scared me :/

But YES there is a volume drop when you use a pedal in the loop, not a huge one, but a noticeable one, for this reason, I make sure I get my reverb and delay on quiet before I set my amp volume :)

20. Jerbeardsl

Jerbeardsl Member

If your pedals are true bypass then yes it will pop, if you can put any buffered pedals in there it will not pop

Madfinger and LazyPitufo like this.