The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Old Punker

Reaction score
health-beauty-abs-man-beach-exercise-workout-jhbn223_low.jpg

Caesar

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in the process of reading through this massive thread, so if this has been answered already, I am sorry.

Can anyone in the US tell the model number of the power transformer? Is it the same as the Origin or DSL 20s? Those 2 models are the same (TXMA-91073). I can't imagine Marshall is using too much of a variety of transformers.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I finally got a set of 6CA7s to try in my SC20, I know a bunch of you guys are using them. My tech recommended Electro Harmonix 6CA7s.

I only put them in a couple of hours ago, and I only had about 30 or 40 minutes playing. In that short time I can definitely hear a better, thicker low end and a kind of more focused tone.

I also may have noticed what a bit smoother, slightly less aggressiveness, not 100% on that though. But overall, after those few minutes, I really like them.

The whole reason I wanted to try these tubes was to get a little more low end, because I had heard from virtually everyone that tried them mentioning the better low end.

These tubes delivered on that, and it’s more than a subtle difference imo. :D

PelliX

Reaction score
Hey guys. I am in the process of reading through this massive thread, so if this has been answered already, I am sorry.

Can anyone in the US tell the model number of the power transformer? Is it the same as the Origin or DSL 20s? Those 2 models are the same (TXMA-91073). I can't imagine Marshall is using too much of a variety of transformers.

Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome: I have both an SC20h and a DSL20CR, they appear to have different transformers, but both are European models, so I can't really speak for the US models. If you have a look at the pics in my gallery you will find the gutshots of the SC20 (also in this thread, but ... 300+ pages) where I explicitely photographed every single number and code on the inside. A Google images search would probably do miracles, too - no luck there?

I finally got a set of 6CA7s to try in my SC20, I know a bunch of you guys are using them. My tech recommended Electro Harmonix 6CA7s.

I only put them in a couple of hours ago, and I only had about 30 or 40 minutes playing. In that short time I can definitely hear a better, thicker low end and a kind of more focused tone.

I also may have noticed what a bit smoother, slightly less aggressiveness, not 100% on that though. But overall, after those few minutes, I really like them.

The whole reason I wanted to try these tubes was to get a little more low end, because I had heard from virtually everyone that tried them mentioning the better low end.

These tubes delivered on that, and it’s more than a subtle difference imo. :D

You've almost certainly noticed, but the last section of the gain dial really brings in the low end. If you want a thicker low end and a bit more clarity higher up try the gain dimed (even if you have to lower the input signal) and turn the presence up to a desired level... :thumb:

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You've almost certainly noticed, but the last section of the gain dial really brings in the low end. If you want a thicker low end and a bit more clarity higher up try the gain dimed (even if you have to lower the input signal) and turn the presence up to a desired level... :thumb:
Yes I’ve tried the gain dimed and it certainly does thicken it up, but that’s too much gain for my liking, and it’s a touch flubby and compressed for my taste.

I also have an eq pedal in the loop to add a bit of low end, so that, and the addition of the 6CA7s get me where I want to be.

I like the gain around 5, rarely do I have it any higher than 6.5 or so. The master anywhere from 4 to 8, usually on the 5 watt mode.

Thanks for the suggestion though Pellix, I appreciate it. :yesway:

Caesar

Reaction score
Hi and welcome to the forum! :welcome: I have both an SC20h and a DSL20CR, they appear to have different transformers, but both are European models, so I can't really speak for the US models. If you have a look at the pics in my gallery you will find the gutshots of the SC20 (also in this thread, but ... 300+ pages) where I explicitely photographed every single number and code on the inside. A Google images search would probably do miracles, too - no luck there?

Thank you. I have not yet made it to your post with all the pictures, but I will check out your gallery. No, a google search has not provided as much detail as I had hoped.

Caesar

Reaction score
Received my shiny new JCM800 Studio today. Took a little break from test driving it to snap this pic and share with you guys.

I don't know enough to know if what I'm doing is stupid (hopefully you will tell me if it is), but I pulled the trigger on a Euro-spec amp because of the killer price on Thomann before I fully thought about it and realized that its 230V/50Hz. For the record, the Thomann site does a very good job of telling you that information, I was apparently blinded by the prospect of a killer deal that I simply didn't see it.

That's why my first post here was asking about the power transformer. If I can simply swap it out, I will. In the meantime, I am running it through a step-up transformer. That sort of solves the 230V problem, but not the 50Hz problem.

Any thoughts?
7449mPV.jpeg

jZSYACF

Del Rei

Reaction score
Received my shiny new JCM800 Studio today. Took a little break from test driving it to snap this pic and share with you guys.

I don't know enough to know if what I'm doing is stupid (hopefully you will tell me if it is), but I pulled the trigger on a Euro-spec amp because of the killer price on Thomann before I fully thought about it and realized that its 230V/50Hz. For the record, the Thomann site does a very good job of telling you that information, I was apparently blinded by the prospect of a killer deal that I simply didn't see it.

That's why my first post here was asking about the power transformer. If I can simply swap it out, I will. In the meantime, I am running it through a step-up transformer. That sort of solves the 230V problem, but not the 50Hz problem.

Any thoughts?
7449mPV.jpeg

jZSYACF
Nice, man!!
Congrats!!! \o/

GregM

Reaction score

Any thoughts?
7449mPV.jpeg

jZSYACF
If you try the workbench forum that's where all the super smart people mostly live. I'm very sure someone can answer you

Caesar

Reaction score
I made a very important/awesome discovery this evening. After playing for an hour or so and getting annoyed with the constant, fairly loud hum, I decided to try to plug a regular old 3 prong PC power cord into the 230v side of my step-up transformer. I have been using the 2 prong euro-spec cord because I thought I had to. Nope! And the hum is gone. Zero noise now. It's awesome! And I am no longer on the hunt for a US transformer.

Today is a good day.

Thanks to everyone who tried to help and to everyone in this thread in general. The Marshall forum seems to be a bunch of good people.

Caesar

Reaction score
KOtHbc1

Just to clarify in case anyone is confused. The eurospec plug the eurospec sc20 comes with IS a three prong...just that unlike a US spec plug, the ground is inverted (hole instead of prong).

Glad you got it worked out
I see what you mean. Chalk it up to my ignorance on the matter.

This is what I received with the amp:
KOtHbc1.jpg

Vs what I thought you were referring to until I read your post more carefully:
oOuwewN.jpg

(I swear I resized these pics so they weren't so damn big!)

George Dickens

Reaction score

Any thoughts?
7449mPV.jpeg

jZSYACF

George Dickens

Reaction score
Hi folks. This is my first post here.
I'm a new vc20 combo owner saw Caesar's post thought Id chime in.
I have not take deliver yet.
Caesar, sometimes a good technician can just re-configure the power transformer-as many amps use the same parts for both domestic and export products.
They do this to reduce costs.
They just use different taps which are the wires that come off the mower supply.
I was lucky one time years ago with an amp.
I cant find a schematic of this yet and
These new Marshalls; one of which I just purchased, I am not sure about.
But there is a good chance. I have seen this in Marshalls before.

A good tube amp tech should be able to offer a wiring mod solution.
Sometime it as simple as swapping two wires.
Sometimes they did not use the voltage selector switch and just blanked any extra lead off.
Its worth checking out if you haven't already.
Hope that may help.
Good luck.

Mitchell Pearrow

VIP Member
Reaction score
Caesar, sometimes a good technician can just re-configure the power transformer-as many amps use the same parts for both domestic and export products.
They just use different taps which are the wires that come off the mower supply.

Sometimes they did not use the voltage selector switch and just blanked any extra lead off.
Hope that may help.
Good luck.
:cheers:
:welcome:
To The Forum
Cheers
Mitch

GregM

Reaction score

Hope that may help.
Good luck.
Welcome and good luck with the combo!

tce63

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Hope that may help.
Good luck.

Congrats to a fantastic amp and :welcome: to the forum.

Cheers :cheers: