The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

That's exactly it! I think the simple condenser mic will convey the reality of the room better than shoving a mic up the cone of some unsuspecting speaker cab. I wanted to show people it can be heard clearly over the drums. I wish I had recorded this guy that came in with a 6505MH and it just sounded like static when the drums were going.

2. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

I saw your cab,….. I think in this thread, it looks great.

I remember thinking the V type and the V30 is interesting combination.

3. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

They blend great together. I love it!

4. soundxplorer

soundxplorer New Member

I bought my SC20 used, and I've noticed some ringing with certain notes at lower volumes, like a microphonic tube. So I decided to take a look at them. The tubes are:

(V1) Marshall red label VLVE-00066
    Marshall gold label VLVE-00049
    Groove Tubes GT-ECC83-S

1. Would the GT have been used stock from the factory? Or do you think the previous owner had swapped it out?
    2. VLVE-00049 is listed on the Marshall code sheet as "high microphony". I've read that sometimes this is desirable to the sound, but does that mean I should it should be microphonic to the point where I can hear it? I like the sound otherwise, I don't feel the need to get a different brand of tube - just wondering if this one is defective.

5. scozz

Welcome to the Marshall Forum @soundxplorer.

My SC20, purchased new, came with all Marshall branded tubes, no Grove tubes. So I’m pretty sure the previous owner put that one in.

6. fer1991

fer1991 Member

Mine also came with marshall tubes. I think the EL34 were Marshalls with a JJ sticker or something like that

7. Silverdome

Silverdome Well-Known Member

So I'm seeing these on Reverb at a more decent price range under 1k and starting to get interested. How do these do at the AC/DC, Hendrix, Cream, Led Zep thing? I'm sure the plexi style studio classic is more desirable for the 60's 70's tones but this amp is a better bargain right now.

8. Mitchell Pearrow

Mitchell Pearrow Well-Known Member VIP Member

:cheers:
    :welcome:
    To The Forum

VERVEHAMMER and Old Punker like this.
  9. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Both sound good, but yes, an "attenuated" SV20 (not a loop volume box) does that type of 60's/70's classic rock better than the SC20 (IMO). The SV20 circuit is a bit more dynamic, and more sensitive to picking and guitar volume settings.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2021
  10. soundxplorer

soundxplorer New Member

If you want the SV20, it does seem harder to find at a discount price. But be patient and one will eventually turn up. I prefer the SC20 though, and I'm glad I got a great deal on it. There are a handful of YouTube comparisons out there showing that both amps can be dialed in to sound very similar though. Based on the bands you mentioned, I can hear Hendrix in both amps. AC/DC maybe sounds more SC20, and Zeppelin sounds more SV20 to me. But in reality all of those artists produced their signature sounds long before the JCM 800 was released.

Subtle differences I hear:
    SC20 is naturally brighter, more open.
    SC20 has slightly tighter and more articulate bass, perfect for rhythm playing.
    SV20 has a more vintage-sounding top end (slightly rolled off, compared to the SC)
    SV20 has a different mid hump, sounding a bit more "nasal" but also thicker for solo lines.

11. scozz

I have no problem getting tones from 1970s bands from my SC20, that’s my decade! I was in my late teens and early 20s in the 70s, playing covers of ALL those great 70s bands! I saw them all in concerts then too.

Yes, the SC20 can do all the bands you mentioned and most all of the others too, Deep Purple, ZZ Top, Aerosmith, 38 Special, Grand Funk, Santana etc,…even Pink Floyd,… with the right wet pedals.

The main factor to getting these tones is keeping the preamp low, the master high, and work the guitars volume. All of the great 70s bands tones are in the SC20, it only takes a little bit of dialing in to find them. :cool:

12. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

Dunno if this is helpful, but V2 in my SC20h (stock) was a VLVE-00066 like V1. Not sure about the third one. Never popped it out to look.

soundxplorer and Old Punker like this.
  13. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

One of my favorite cabs. Huge balls :D

I did the 2x2x12 thing in my very small space the other day at full tilt for a few minutes. One V30 vertical and one custom V30 horizontal about the same size/shape as the 2x12 recto cab.

It was glorious.

GregM, Old Punker and tce63 like this.
  14. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Wow! I'm envious, even a few minutes of that could give you a natural high that lasts for at least a day, and then you want to do it again. Was that with an SC20H?

Have your ears stopped ringing yet, or were you wearing protection? :dude:

scozz, Calebz and TheToneDig like this.
  15. TheToneDig

TheToneDig Well-Known Member

I think some people can be a little shocked by how medium gain the JCM800 is and how close it is to the Plexi. It's when you start to boost cranked JCM800s and sweet spot Treble Boosting yer Plexi that they seem to fork off into heavy metal vs hard rock, but even AC/DC and Judas Priest used a Plexi for early metal so it can work the other way around for awhile as well. Plexi for metal tones. 80s metal isn't as high gain as some people think it is.

scozz, tce63 and Old Punker like this.
  16. Old Punker

Exactly what @scozz said. I have also gotten really nice AC/DC and Zeppelin tones (haven't tried the others) with the volumes set up like scozz mentioned. This was with the SC212 cabinet. The Studio Classic covers a lot of ground from classic rock through early metal. For the higher gain stuff it works best through a cab with V30's or similar IMO. Although I like the mini Plexi too, for me the SC20 can be dialed in to sound very similar but is more versatile overall, again IMO. :D

17. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

It was indeed with the SC20h. It's the first time I have pulled the captor out of the equation and run straight to two cabs with the marshall... I think.

Went bareback for this one. It started as a medium volume playthrough with some new stuff I'm working on. It turned into a 5 minute wankfest with most everything dimed and a tubescreamer pushing it.

Completely awesome. I can't wait to do it again when my hearing clears up :D

Added note: I really need to get the v30s in my vertical cab broken in. They have maybe 5 hours of decent volume playing time on them. My horizontal oversize 2x12 sounds great though. It's been through untold rehearsals and at least a few dozen shows. Huge difference.

18. Old Punker

Yeah, I got my Mesa 2x12 Recto cab used so the V30's were already broken in. It sounded awesome the first time I plugged in.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and Calebz like this.
  19. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

My vertical was a pandemic boredom buy. It hasn't seen the inside of a rehearsal room yet. It needs some abuse. High volume, spilled beer, joint burns in the tolex.

Ahhh....the good old days.

20. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Hell, just sit a girl on/bent over it and throw some salt n pepper vibes into the tolex aswell....