The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. Calebz

Calebz Well-Known Member

:lol:

It was actually the wine and cheese. :D

....Oh - and my wife and son were both born here. That played a small part in it too.

Mostly it was the wine and cheese.

2. line55

line55 New Member

I'd like to bigup P&P, who is also in France. Been using it for a year, definitely takes out some highs as most attenuators do, but works great, is passive, and affordable. You can also spruce it up with headphone jack and IRs if you like.

https://reverb.com/item/15946685-plug-and-play-amplification-power-attenuator-50w-4-8-or-16-ohms

soundxplorer and Calebz like this.
  3. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

That’s one of the reasons I bought a Weber Minimass 50.

Like you said, most all attenuators lose a bit of high end, but some attenuators have features to restore the highs.

A Weber Minimass has a treble boost toggle switch, a choice of +3db or +6db. Works great too, I have mine set to +3db. Most attenuators in its price range, (under $200), don’t have this feature.

A Minimass also works for 4ohm, 8ohm and 16 ohm cabs, hand made in the US too.
    [​IMG]

4. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I'll take my bugera ps1 and lose the highs any day.
    Just for a play at home situation, I'm pretty sure the sc20h can afford losing some highs....

5. KelvinS1965

KelvinS1965 Well-Known Member

Unless you normally run with the presence and treble fully up, then you've got some room for adjustment with the attenuator connected anyway.
    That's all I do with my SV20H when using my 'Palmer' attenuator.

Mitchell Pearrow, GregM and tce63 like this.
  6. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

I treat my SC20H as if it didn’t have a loop. Everything in front. Not a big effects guy anyway. Easier that way. Then I’m not bothered.

I don’t know why Marshall can’t do like on some of their amps where’s something like. -4 db/+10 db switch or something like that. Seems like that would fix things. Use -4 for line level and rack effects. Then +10 for modern pedals.

Just FYI - mine is dated from May 2021 and has a volume drop with loop engaged.

7. Hemsworthy

Hemsworthy Member

Hi fellas, just bought a Marshall SC20H which should land this week. I'm a HUGE fan of the SV20H, but wanted to try the SC20H because of the Master Volume. All this Marshall purchasing is due to finding and buying an overpriced Marshall 1965A slant 4x10 from the 80's. When I was 17 in 1987 I had the full Mini stack of Mosfet 100 3210 + 1965A & B cabs! The cabs were great, I honestly cannot remember what I didn't like about the head (although see another one of my posts... another mosfet incoming!)
    I have the Fryette PS2 which I'm using for other reasons (tube power for Fractal FM3 and Synergy rig), but of course it "should" be wonderful to take the volume down on the SC20H if I decide to really bring up the master volume and/or use the DI out (or Fryette Line out) into IR loader for recording and direct to PA.

I guess my main question with the SC20H is if the Master Volume is good for LIVE USE. I'm not conerned with home because of the Fryette PS2, but no way I'm lugging the head AND the PS2.
    I really just need a cool, loud and tight clean-ish into moderate breakup tone for backline with a moderate drummer in female front pop/rock. Then I REALLY want to try the line out into Mooer radar or similar for FOH / IEM feed. The Marshall SV20 DI out was great used this way!

I'm pretty stoked, the deal was relatively decent especially since Marshall pricing on these is ridiculous new (grabbed for $1100 all in with shipping and tax).
    I have to admit, besides the tone -- because I'm a born and bred 80's rocker although now I play a lot of pop/modern country (still works!) -- the Marshall branding on top of a vintage 80's 1965A was a huge lure for me!

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  8. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

SC20 has alot of gain, more than the old jcms they say.
    Try it with master up and gain down and see how you go. I really like the tones I get with that, but everyone is different.
    Enjoy, it's a great Lil amp!
    Low input is alot less gain but the volume suffers alot so loud you will definately have to stay on high input I would say.

scozz, tce63, Hemsworthy and 2 others like this.
  9. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Oh and the gain really really picks up with the guitar volume, but that's an easy guess.
    Guitar volume on 4 or 5 for cleaner tones. Especially on the bridge of my guitars, they get pretty dirty pretty fast.

10. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

Absolutely, the master volume is good for live use. I could play my 2203x live, in a small venue, if needed, and the master on the SC20 is just as effective. You definitely don't need to attenuate a SC20 in a small venue, as you may have with the SV20 (depending on venue size).

11. Solid State

Solid State Well-Known Member

I made a recording of me and a couple of guys rehearsing in the garage - it's just an iPhone recording with the iPhone sitting behind a box on top of the fridge while we play. I cut it short so I could spare you all my nasally vocals... All of the guitar you hear is the SC20 and a Peavey 2X12 with T75s. There is another guitarist there but his Peavey Classic doesn't even register over the Marshall. Volume is at noon and nothing is going through the PA. Obviously, my drummer is loud as hell. I had posted this a while back and really haven't jammed with anyone lately so I don't have anything recent. I'd say my tone is heavier these days.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1QYJCoXpphIj-bRGY_-sGFj9UKYWF-UZ_/view?usp=sharing

12. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

So, you had that little 20w pretty much maxed, as it doesn't get much louder past noon, that's assuming you were in 20w mode.

13. Old Punker

Old Punker Well-Known Member

Cool! Sounds a little like the DIY recordings in the early days of punk. You can definitely hear the Marshall grind!

14. Old Punker

Hey guys, I connected my new Mesa 2x12 Recto cab (V30's) to my SC20H in 20W mode with SD-1 out front and it kills! For high gain it works better than the Studio cab IMO. Studio cab is still the best for classic rock.

15. LCW

LCW Well-Known Member

My SC212 cab…

B9F65B5E-0704-4283-A8A7-3CB4AB3662F7.jpeg

16. Finnster

Finnster Member

My vertical 2x12 Marshall has Greenbacks and sounds killer with the SC20. May try a V30 on the bottom slot some day but this setup is awesome.

17. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

If it ain't broke....

18. Old Punker

I remember when you posted this. You were correct! Actually what you have there may be the best of both worlds.

I have yet to hook up my two 2x12 cabs, Marshall SC212 with Y-Type's and Mesa 2x12 Recto with V30's, at the same time. That should be interesting.

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  19. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Strap your guitars to their shelves first!

Mitchell Pearrow and Old Punker like this.
  20. Old Punker

Actually there's already a bungee cord across the opening!

I was kinda thinking the same thing, that it might get pretty loud in that size space with 2x2x12, but I can't resist a good experiment. :D

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.