The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Old Punker

Reaction score
Question for other SC20 owners; as I outlined earlier, my Low Sensitivity input is VERY quiet. So quiet that that if I dime the preamp gain and master volume in full power mode, it would have a hard time competing with even a mild drummer. This is based on using a 'standard' Telecaster, so single coils, no magic. If I clean boost the hell out of it I can get the volume to a degree, but I'm wondering whether this is intended. As it happens, I'm happy on the High input, but it sort of confuses me a bit. Obviously there are no schematics (available) for the SC20 yet, but looking at the preamp section of any JCM800 dual vertical input models, it seems that V1B is the extra gain stage for the High input. I'm going to try swapping the valve in a bit to see if V1A is somehow "impaired". If this is normal, has anyone got any tried and tested methods for bring the signal level up a little on the low input? Obviously swapping out the resistors isn't rocket science, but I'm just curious.

My Low input is a lot quieter too, but I hardly ever use it anyway.

Old Punker

Reaction score
A fix does exist for this, so if it bothers you that much, you can contact Marshall and ask to have it installed in your amp. I'm pretty OCD myself, but it doesn't bother me that much, as it doesn't alter the "tone", just the level, and slightly.

Id be careful about getting this 'fix'. I seem to remember someone posting here that he got it and his amp was suddenly noisy, and that was done through an authorized Marshall repair shop.

Personally, I don't care about this slight volume drop, since my loop is always on. :shrug:

Old Punker

Reaction score
If I had a 2203x or 1987x I'd probably run back to it too!
Pretty sure these amps are supposed to fill a mid spaced void between the dsl/origin and the reissues.
For my aussie dollars worth, I think the SC20 was 1600 odd, I think I've seen a 1987x at 3700? Or was it 2700? Brand new, so it's alotta dollars difference....

Yeah, Marshall JCM 800 100W reissue head is $3,999.99 here in Canada! :wow:
SC20H is $1,799.99. BIG difference.

And the cabs for the 100W heads cost way more too ($1,9999.99). With tax the 100W head + cab would set you back $6,779.98 where I live! :wow: :wow: :wow: :wow:

That's way over my budget. SC20 plus 2x12 cab was an easy decision, especially since I don't play stadiums.

Last edited:

Old Punker

Reaction score
Just picked up an SC20 combo.
Loving it so far.
Can get almost as many various tones as I could with my JVM.

Do you think I’ll benefit at all with an attenuator?
Or just a volume pedal in the loop.
Would love to hear anyone’s thoughts on this.

thanks!

HNAD! :applause:

Boy, loads of people buying these. I have the SC20H and 2x12 cab, I also have an attenuator (PS-2). Mine sounds great through the attenuator, if I can play at around 95dB. So most of the time I use mine without the PS-2 (on the 20W mode). I find the SC20 benefits from a volume pot in the loop, just so that you can open the MV up a little higher, maybe around 3, as it livens up the tone. Alternatively, if you can play with the MV at 1 or higher, you probably don't need the extra pot. Also, if you need to have the MV very low, crank up the presence and it will sound better at low volumes.

LCW

Reaction score
Has anyone swapped in 6550 tubes in their SC20??

Was thinking about that.. I am looking for really good Marshall cleans. Less mids w/6550, but I will make that up somewhere in the chain. I had an amp that had a switch where you could swap tubes.
IIRC should have better Marshall cleans, if that is the goal.

They are cathode bias, and I remember a thread with a conversation with Santiago regarding a number of things including using different tubes.

Top of page 2

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/sc20-sv20-power-tubes-what-is-the-deal-exactly.107083/page-2

I’m just gonna leave this right here… :headbanger:

C4C549F9-FF74-4594-BC92-DB45B52FE652.jpeg

And this…

A358B61B-5D3D-4A6E-813B-F521FB9B653B.jpeg