The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I run my gain around 7, just before things start to compress and lose definition. I consider that level a good hard rock rhythm tone, which will still clean up with the guitar volume. This also depends on your guitar pickup output, I use 57 Classics, which are not a high output pickup.

PowerTube44

Reaction score
Congrats on ordering the amp man I’m sure you’ll like it. :agreed:

As for open box gear, I don’t like to spend a lot of $ on gear, so when I’m in the market for something I’m always checking for “open box” items.

Every time I’ve ordered an open box item, I’ve never found anything wrong of any significance, ever. I’ve never returned an open box item I’ve purchased either.

So I’m a fan of open box gear overall. Although I’ve only bought open box gear from either MF or Sweetwater, so I can’t speak to any other venders open box policies.

Any time I go to Guitar Center and check out a piece of new gear, and I decide to buy it, I always ask if they have a new one in the box. If they say no, then I'll order it online, from their website or elsewhere.

Why? Because to me, that amp that's been beaten on by every 13-year old in town, or that guitar that's missing the whammy bar and the locking nuts, are NO LONGER NEW ITEMS. And, they don't discount anything as a "floor demo," even though that's very much what it is. If I'm paying the new price, I want NEW, not used. I've walked into pawn shops where the guitars were in better shape than the typical Guitar Center. Not kidding.

Open box should be fine, though. That should mean that it's in a warehouse and ready to ship, not being toyed with by a thousand people.

PelliX

Reaction score
Can we talk settings?
Just curious where everyone has their preamp set to?

Pre amp at 10 o'clock for clean stuff, around 1 o'clock for most things and I dime it from some real hard crunch for blues and some rock 'n' roll. What I've noticed is that the presence and pre-amp seem to sound best balanced. The last bit of the pre amp dial really brings up the bass, but if you turn up the presence it gives you piercing lead with a solid bottom end. Likewise, when turning the pre-amp down, it's best to remove some presence, too before it sounds brittle.

LCW

Reaction score
When boosting preamp 1:30-3 o’clock (depending on pedal and style)… metal baby!!!

junk notes

Reaction score
Was thinking about that.. I am looking for really good Marshall cleans. Less mids w/6550, but I will make that up somewhere in the chain. I had an amp that had a switch where you could swap tubes.
IIRC should have better Marshall cleans, if that is the goal.
Has anyone swapped in 6550 tubes in their SC20??

SteelLucky

Reaction score
Hey all.
Can we talk settings?
And what you consider your core tone to be with that setting .

I have never been this happy with an amp ever . And I do also have a JVM.
Thanks

SC20H & SC212
P4, B7, M4, T4, M3 to 5, Preamp 6

LCW

Reaction score
Was thinking about that.. I am looking for really good Marshall cleans. Less mids w/6550, but I will make that up somewhere in the chain. I had an amp that had a switch where you could swap tubes.
IIRC should have better Marshall cleans, if that is the goal.

Aren't these Studios self biasing or cathode biased or something? Could a 6550 swap be as simple as just popping them in??

LCW

Reaction score
Hey all.
Can we talk settings?

Thanks

Presence - 4
Bass - 6
Mid - 4
Treb - 4
Master - 2
Pre-Amp - 7

I run either an SD-1 or TS-9 in front.

junk notes

Reaction score
Aren't these Studios self biasing or cathode biased or something? Could a 6550 swap be as simple as just popping them in??
Yes, (I have the SV), but not sure on alternate tube, but I see people posting that it would be for replacement tubes of the same.
I do not know the technical, but I think there are resistors involved. Not sure if they run optimal at a different voltage.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score

Jethro Rocker

Reaction score
Hey all.
Can we talk settings?

Thanks

Pre amp 10. I turn it down for cleanish which is rare. I also have a Lynch Mod in V2 with level about 1 oclock. Old school and 80s metal. Goose the front with an OD as required as well if gain set lower.

They are cathode bias, and I remember a thread with a conversation with Santiago regarding a number of things including using different tubes.

Top of page 2

https://www.marshallforum.com/threads/sc20-sv20-power-tubes-what-is-the-deal-exactly.107083/page-2

Yep cathode boas. Plug n play. They are also runjjng at a lower voltage so almost any octal tube goes. I have KT88s in mine.

junk notes

Reaction score

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hey all.
Can we talk settings?

Thanks
I’m all over the place with the preamp, anywhere from 4 to 8. If I’m running it on or around 4, the master would generally be around 7 or 8,… and if I’m running the preamp up around 8 the master is low around 4. That’s generally the way I run it :cool:

There’s no rhyme or reason for these settings, there’s no core tone I’m after, I’ve never chased any particular tones. This amp has the tones I like up and down the dial! Add a Sd1 or a Tubescreamer and rock on! :agreed: