The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
It sounds like you have some information that I might be interested in. I don't mind the FX loop drop as it happens, but do you have 'inside info' on this amp? :cool:
I know a tech that services Marshall's. If anyone is unhappy with their SC20 FX loop "as is", I'd suggest they take it to a Marshall service center and have it "updated". The PCB traces in the SC20's are easily damaged.

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
……..Also, it still has the fx loop volume drop “problem” which annoys me. I figure with 20 watts you need as much volume as you can get and when you run effects with their own levels in the loop it can reduce the volume even further. Is it so hard to expect volume parity when engaging the loop? I know that in practice you wouldn’t keep switching the loop in and out, but it’s the OCD that kicks in that makes you feel your amp isn’t designed as it should be and I just hate knowing I’m losing volume in the chain when it could be louder.
The volume drop when the loop is engaged is only a couple of db’s. Also as you increase the master volume the difference in loudness goes away completely. It’s only noticeable at lower volumes, if at all. :cool:

nkay

Reaction score
The volume drop when the loop is engaged is only a couple of db’s. Also as you increase the master volume the difference in loudness goes away completely. It’s only noticeable at lower volumes, if at all. :cool:

I know, it’s been discussed lots already, I do really love the SC20 but my point was that I thought having a later revision of the amp (and the more expensive limited edition of it) that they would have fixed it. It’s really not something an amp should do, and it’s never happened on any Marshall amp I’ve owned so it seems an annoying design issue as I was hoping this would be my final amp (who am I kidding :dude:.). But I’m thinking of going back to the 2203X because it never did this and I miss the fullness of a 100 watt amp. If I can get it fixed somewhere that would be great but don’t who would do that in Canada. Thanks!

Last edited:

GregM

Reaction score
If I had a 2203x or 1987x I'd probably run back to it too!
Pretty sure these amps are supposed to fill a mid spaced void between the dsl/origin and the reissues.
For my aussie dollars worth, I think the SC20 was 1600 odd, I think I've seen a 1987x at 3700? Or was it 2700? Brand new, so it's alotta dollars difference....

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
I know, it’s been discussed lots already, I do really love the SC20 but my point was that I thought having a later revision of the amp (and the more expensive limited edition of it) that they would have fixed it. It’s really not something an amp should do, and it’s never happened on any Marshall amp I’ve owned so it seems an annoying design issue as I was hoping this would be my final amp (who am I kidding :dude:.). But I’m thinking of going back to the 2203X because it never did this and I miss the fullness of a 100 watt amp. If I can get it fixed somewhere that would be great but don’t who would do that in Canada. Thanks!
Can relate to the 2203x. Still have my SC20H, but I honestly haven't hooked it up in at least a couple of months. The 2203x has always sounded better (bigger), but since adding the Hot Mod V2, it's been really tough for my other amps to compete.

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
If I had a 2203x or 1987x I'd probably run back to it too!
Pretty sure these amps are supposed to fill a mid spaced void between the dsl/origin and the reissues.
For my aussie dollars worth, I think the SC20 was 1600 odd, I think I've seen a 1987x at 3700? Or was it 2700? Brand new, so it's alotta dollars difference....
Yes, nothing beats the big boy amps, but the SC's do an excellent job of covering that middle ground.

LCW

Reaction score
Back in the game boys… picked up the head today (brand new). Had sold one back about a year and a half ago. Price went up which sucks. Live and learn. At least got the cab used at a smokin’ deal about a month back. Got the LP Studio at a great deal too. So it all balances out.

C9C397A0-8FA2-410B-B585-54DDF139FFBE.jpeg

scozz

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Back in the game boys… picked up the head today (brand new). Had sold one back about a year and a half ago. Price went up which sucks. Live and learn. At least got the cab used at a smokin’ deal about a month back. Got the LP Studio at a great deal too. So it all balances out.

View attachment 95624
Congrats on the new amp! :cheers:

You owned one previously, I’m curious, why did you sell it?

Studio Les Paul looks great too!

Gaz Baker

Reaction score
.…………(and the more expensive limited edition of it) that they would have fixed it!

What makes it limited and more expensive?

The colour of the tolex?

I have a hang up with that behaviour.
That’s bullshit charging their customers more for a different colour.
I bet the price difference doesn’t reflect the different materials used!

I could accept it if there were internal modifications, but It’s still just the same amp on the inside.

GregM

Reaction score

View attachment 95624
Welcome back!
Hnad again!

PelliX

Reaction score
@LCW HNAD! Mine has given me a lot of pleasure already, may you enjoy yours for many years to come. :thumb:

What speakers do you have in the 2x12?

What makes it limited and more expensive?

The colour of the tolex?

I have a hang up with that behaviour.
That’s bullshit charging their customers more for a different colour.
I bet the price difference doesn’t reflect the different materials used!

I could accept it if there were internal modifications, but It’s still just the same amp on the inside.

There could be a number of things that justify the higher price. Non-standard materials (different colour logo, piping, front panel) will be obtained in smaller quantities by Marshall, so presumably they pay a little more for them. The 'hassle' of launching a separate "line" (well, model, whatever you want to call it) incurs a burdon somewhere, too. As it's a limited edition, it will presumably have a re-sale value slightly higher than the regular edition. Sure, there's some marketing markup there, but Marshall cash in on 'special', 'limited' editions. Caveat emptor.

Would you pay extra for a special finish on a guitar? Lots of people do, it seems. :shrug:

marshallmellowed

Reaction score
@LCW HNAD! Mine has given me a lot of pleasure already, may you enjoy yours for many years to come. :thumb:

There could be a number of things that justify the higher price. Non-standard materials (different colour logo, piping, front panel) will be obtained in smaller quantities by Marshall, so presumably they pay a little more for them. The 'hassle' of launching a separate "line" (well, model, whatever you want to call it) incurs a burdon somewhere, too. As it's a limited edition, it will presumably have a re-sale value slightly higher than the regular edition. Sure, there's some marketing markup there, but Marshall cash in on 'special', 'limited' editions. Caveat emptor.

Would you pay extra for a special finish on a guitar? Lots of people do, it seems. :shrug:
True, they could just have easily raised the price of the standard black tolex models, and made them all the same price. Then people would bitch that they were paying as much for a "plain" tolex model as a "limited" tolex model. I'm a standard Marshall guy, when it comes to appearance (black/white, black/gold), so I'm fine with their logic.

PelliX

Reaction score
True, they could just have easily raised the price of the standard black tolex models, and made them all the same price. Then people would bitch that they were paying as much for a "plain" tolex model as a "limited" tolex model. I'm a standard Marshall guy, when it comes to appearance (black/white, black/gold), so I'm fine with their logic.

True, true. Me too. The Stealth was a cool idea. Didn't like the black piping and logo. The Silver Jube just makes me cringe. Strangely enough, I do have a soft spot for the white JCM800's and so on.

LCW

Reaction score

The SC212 and SV212’s come stock with V-Types. Great balanced speakers. I may swap one for a G12M Greenback, a V30, G12H30 or G12M-65 Creamback.

LCW

Reaction score
True, true. Me too. The Stealth was a cool idea. Didn't like the black piping and logo. The Silver Jube just makes me cringe. Strangely enough, I do have a soft spot for the white JCM800's and so on.

The ‘reverse’ Jubilee color scheme is interesting. I like it… Not sure if it’s a CME exclusive but that’s where I saw it…

9A0A0BEB-A489-4535-A088-A491DE7F8E76.jpeg

PelliX

Reaction score
The ‘reverse’ Jubilee color scheme is interesting. I like it… Not sure if it’s a CME exclusive but that’s where I saw it…

View attachment 95645

That's a heck of a load better in my view! Still, give me the 'classic' look or the white and gold.

PelliX

Reaction score
I go straight in. Seldom use the loop. As been said. The volume drop at volume is not there. Grow a pair and play. My SC rips.

I get that. I've been experimenting with using the loop just as a send to the return of my DSL's, so you get the SC's preamp goodness with a fairly 'neutral' output stage. It has its charms. Still, turn up the SC and it kicks the DSL's arse.