>

The Official Marshall Studio Classic Thread Sc20

Discussion in 'Marshall Amps' started by scozz, Jan 26, 2019.

1. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

2. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

Hnad and go have some fun! Think it took me about 2 weeks to even try a pedal through it :)

3. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Maybe I should add to that I inspected the solder joints and so on - it's really a lot better than what I've seen for this model elsewhere. Maybe I'm lucky, maybe they improved that. Also, to my absolute surprise the DI is not an utter waste of time. I didn't see that one coming, Marshall. I'll carry on mic'ing, but it's bordering on usable. The tolex on the inside was a bit 'so-so', let's say and the power and standby buttons are just a tad loose in the front panel. Very happy with the sound, only a bit disappointed that the FX send isn't active unless you engage the FX loop - I get the reasoning behind it, though.

4. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

What still grinds my gears are the Samwha 85c capacitors. I think I might be replacing those for some decent Nichicon 105c's or similar in a year or so. In a DSL I expect that sort of thing but not in the Studio series.

Mitchell Pearrow and Stephen H like this.
  5. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Question for other SC20 owners; as I outlined earlier, my Low Sensitivity input is VERY quiet. So quiet that that if I dime the preamp gain and master volume in full power mode, it would have a hard time competing with even a mild drummer. This is based on using a 'standard' Telecaster, so single coils, no magic. If I clean boost the hell out of it I can get the volume to a degree, but I'm wondering whether this is intended. As it happens, I'm happy on the High input, but it sort of confuses me a bit. Obviously there are no schematics (available) for the SC20 yet, but looking at the preamp section of any JCM800 dual vertical input models, it seems that V1B is the extra gain stage for the High input. I'm going to try swapping the valve in a bit to see if V1A is somehow "impaired". If this is normal, has anyone got any tried and tested methods for bring the signal level up a little on the low input? Obviously swapping out the resistors isn't rocket science, but I'm just curious.

Old Punker and wntbtw like this.
  6. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

I think it's normal, mine certainly requires alot of adjusting.
    No idea on the rest.

7. johan.b

johan.b Well-Known Member

You can do a search for my "plexify your low" thread in the workbench part of the forum

Last edited: Sep 19, 2021
  8. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

Yeah, are far as I know thats normal for the SC20, although I’m not sure why. Im wondering if the 2204s and 2203s low sensitivity input is similar?

I haven’t used it very much at all, but it does have a really sweet clean. Not much volume though, certainty not enough to play with a drummer.

But, I’m pretty sure literally no one buys this amp for the pristine cleans! Lol.

Old Punker, Gaz Baker, AndyP and 4 others like this.
  9. line55

line55 New Member

They are glorious, ain't they?

I know they say it has an emulated cab, but I have trouble hearing that when it goes into the DAW. Adding a Cab IR in the DAW makes it sound 'normal', to me at least.

Mitchell Pearrow, scozz and PelliX like this.
  10. scozz

scozz Well-Known Member Gold Supporting Member

What are some brands of preamp tubes are you guys using in your SC20s? I’m looking to change out all three positions, currently I’m running all Tungsol 12AX7s.

Also, I just learned about the Cathode Follower position, (never heard of it before), does anyone know which position, (if any), it is in the SC20? :hmm:

Thanks in advance,…:)

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  11. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I tried some fingerpicking blues, other softer stuff on the low input yesterday. It sort of sounds OK if you turn the presence right up and play with the EQ, but it's too 'controlled' for me. Maybe I'm a bit spoiled by having a VOX AC15 for the clean stuff. I miss the FX loop on that VOX, else I'd certainly try it through the power section of the SC20.

True, I think it's intentionally not too overwhelming. Just enough to get by, but also not a problem if you want to add your own spice.

Mitchell Pearrow, tce63 and GregM like this.
  12. line55

line55 New Member

I have yet to experience the vox. I should get on that. The sc20 for marshall, a 20w fender tweed, and an ac15...I'll be good for a while...

Interesting about the fingerpicking, thats not a style I can play. Tell me, we talking on a Telly? If you are playing with presence, i imagine you want the treble to be responsive? I i hear the sc20 as more midrange mastery.

My cleans are humbucker + fake jazzery ;) i was surprised how much more I liked this clean Then the roland jazz chorus. And then you get to the high gain channel :dude:

13. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Nothing else sounds like a decent VOX AC. They just take your cleans and turn them into a sparkling, chiming eargasm. If you turn 'em up, it blends with a splendid British roar. Or something like that.

Yup, Tele all the way. I'm not a brilliant player, but I just do some old blues stuff, Stones, CCR, that kind of thing. I tend to keep the presence quite low on the SC20, around 2 - 3 regardless of what I'm playing. Treble a little past 12 o'clock, bass and midrange both dialed back to an extent. Around the top end of the gain dial I really have to bring the bass back, but lower I add some sometimes, too.

I don't really use the low input. If I want something other than that Marshall bark, I go for my VOX or my DSL (clean).

14. GregM

GregM Well-Known Member

What speaker are you using in your vox? Greenie? Blue? Gold?
    Thinking about buying a blue or gold next year and putting the greenie in my Lil dsl5

PelliX and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  15. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

At the risk of taking this thread off topic... The stock Greenback, actually. I like Greenbacks a lot. I've thought about putting in a Blue sometime, but it's not high on my priority list. If I come across one for a very nice price I'd give it a shot. Tried a Creamback, didn't seem like a good match somehow.

Mitchell Pearrow and GregM like this.
  16. nkay

nkay Active Member

I have one of the newer SC20’s in the stealth black, and yeah the low sensitivity input is really quiet compared to the high, enough that I thought something was broken because I don’t remember it like that on my 2203X. But sounds like everyone’s is the same.

Also, it still has the fx loop volume drop “problem” which annoys me. I figure with 20 watts you need as much volume as you can get and when you run effects with their own levels in the loop it can reduce the volume even further. Is it so hard to expect volume parity when engaging the loop? I know that in practice you wouldn’t keep switching the loop in and out, but it’s the OCD that kicks in that makes you feel your amp isn’t designed as it should be and I just hate knowing I’m losing volume in the chain when it could be louder.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    PelliX likes this.
  17. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

I was looking at the Stealth version, it's cute! If they had used white piping and a white Marshall logo, I might have just bought it. Went for the 'classic' look in the end (and a good deal on an unboxed/returned item). As for the FX loop, that amp goes plenty loud enough for me. You can also balance the volume drop on the return depending on what's in the loop.

Old Punker and Mitchell Pearrow like this.
  18. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

A fix does exist for this, so if it bothers you that much, you can contact Marshall and ask to have it installed in your amp. I'm pretty OCD myself, but it doesn't bother me that much, as it doesn't alter the "tone", just the level, and slightly.

19. PelliX

PelliX Well-Known Member

Can't be more than changing a couple of resistor values, I would expect. The lack of schematics for that thing is annoying. Whenever mine needs some maintenance I'll see what I can knock up.

Mitchell Pearrow and tce63 like this.
  20. marshallmellowed

marshallmellowed Well-Known Member

The "update" requires changing 4 resistors.

Last edited: Sep 30, 2021
    PelliX and tce63 like this.